Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd December 2005, 01:39   #1  |  Link
kis2005

2 DVDs to 1 AVI?

I wanted to combine Gods and Generals to one AVI file. It is 2 part movie...part 1 on side A and part 2 on side B. Is it possible to make one AVI?
kis2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 01:42   #2  |  Link
ricardo.santos

sure it is

convert both sides to your pc using your favourite dvd to avi program, after you convert both sides use virtualdub to join them.

Voilá!

Ps: final resolution must be the same for both, same audio bitrate as well

Last edited by ricardo.santos; 23rd December 2005 at 01:45.
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 16:01   #3  |  Link
kis2005

Thanks. That was the other option I was thinking, but I was wondering if it was possible to combine both DVDs in Auto GK. Thanks Again.
Old 23rd December 2005, 16:18   #4  |  Link
tipsypenguin

use dvd decryptor to rip both parts to the hard drive. then VOB2MPG to extract the mpegs from the vobs.
then you can just put both parts in the same folder and lable them Gods and Generals_1 and Gods and Generals_2. just add the first part to autogk and it will combine them both into one avi.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VOB2MPG
tipsypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2005, 16:22   #5  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, its is possible, but there are often limiting factors that usually prevent you from just stacking all the vobs into a single folder. Audio delay / audio sync, leading and trailing chapters/cells added during authoring, and sometimes, leading frames added to an existing cell.

The easiest way to counter audio delay / audio sync issues is to concatenate vobs sets using VobEdit. Extra chapters and cells may be dealt with during decryption ... and extra frames must be dealth with manually, such as with the AviSynth trim() filter. This latter issue will often preclude using AutoGK.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2005, 13:25   #6  |  Link
kis2005

It seems that it might be easier just to reauthor the two DVDs together and then reconvert it to AVI. This might be the way around any sync problems and any issues that Auto GK might have with the end result. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 24th December 2005, 13:44   #7  |  Link
kis2005

BTW...The reason I was unable to use VDMod is because I normally set the audio with VBR instead of CBR. I play my movies and music over a home network / media server and not a standalone. I try to keep the "realestate" down and since I have the disks on DVD there isn't a need for me to back them up again on to other discs. But unfortunatley it sometime bites you in the butt.
Old 24th December 2005, 15:27   #8  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Hi.

ive had some problems when converting flippers with autogk by merging the two sides into 1 before "feeding it" to autogk. i had audio sync playback problems in the final avi.

from my own experience i recommend converting each side and then merge them with virtualdub/mod.

you can download virtualdub with VBR support from:

virtualdub with VBR support

Last edited by ricardo.santos; 24th December 2005 at 15:29.
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote