Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 13th March 2012, 18:08   #41  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I've seen BD discs at 5€ apiece - most not-that-new movies on blu-rays seems to float around 10€. A reasonable price, given the fact that you can watch them several times (if it's worth to be seen so many times ), whenever you like, without avoiding network "rush hours" (when everyone streams HD content - it's hardly the situation today, but it may be in the future if UV catches), and on relatively free devices.
Old 13th March 2012, 22:18   #42  |  Link
diogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogen View Post
But if they manage to do this for $2-$5, it might work.
And that's exactly what they are going to charge...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/13/28...gital-official

Details are still sketchy what you actually get for that...

Diogen.
diogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 12:33   #43  |  Link
xenex

I have read a bit about this lately and frankly, it sounds ridiculous. So, people will physically bring in their DVDs to the WalMart photo center, have them "scanned" -- whatever that means -- and then have them added to the UltraViolet "cloud" for later digital download or streaming in what is assumed to be some DRM format. And then they "stamp" the disc so it can't be lent to others and brought in again?? LOL.

What about the loss prevention people? Folks bringing in DVDs into WalMart and taking them back out? How will that work? Bring in disc(s), have them stickered by the WalMart "greeter," take them back to the UltraViolet kiosk to have them "scanned and stamped" and then take them back out with you whilst proving you didn't just steal them? How will this ever work?
xenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 15:46   #44  |  Link
diogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenex View Post
How will this ever work?
For example, make the UV booth entry before you meet the "greeter"...Those are technicalities.

I think the very idea of UV speaks volumes about the studios smartening up. Or finally listening to smart people.
The optical disc business is going down. Not fast enough to be just killed, but more than enough to start thinking what's next.

And that next step is streaming. Or at least this is their conclusion.
Netflix has done a decent job in making streaming an option not just for geeks. But not for Main Street.

Teaming up with Walmart - the de-facto Main Street shopping place and seller of about 40% of all DVDs sold - is a rational next step.

Ideally, the process should look similar to the iTunes Cloud service.
All the movies (start with BDs, then move to DVDs) are in the cloud. You specify what movie you have (or are buying) and you get access to the digital copy.
For a fee you can upgrade from SD to HD. Or Theatrical to Director's Cut.

There are quite a few problems:
Bandwidth. You can't stream BD bitrates in more than 0.1% of the world.
Pre-download. Would probably solve the bandwidth issue but won't be implemented until studios are happy with the DRM (never?)
Compression. Even DVDs bitrates are too high for most. How to compress without quality loss. Maybe compress BD sources into DVD specs...

But if the next installment of Bond would be offered in HD for streaming into my home theatre on the day of release, I'd consider paying something like $50 for a service like this...

Diogen.
Old 15th March 2012, 10:45   #45  |  Link
xenex

Here is a nice happy shiny promotional video for the WalMart service:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3cnbGeskq7U

I personally remain skeptical. I still think it sounds ridiculous. But according to what I've read, it will be introduced into all WalMart stores with Photo-Centers (about 3500 of them) starting April 16. So I guess we will see.
xenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 05:01   #46  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

one thing that mildly amuses me about the DRM fiasco is that in order for "big content" (i kneejerk at "big anything" because of the current libertarian trends in the USA... it's become a tea-partier catchphrase slap "big" in front of nouns) to stay ahead, it needs to basically employ people from this board and places like it.

they'd better keep us happy the kind of access to content that you get in the broadcast industry comes with lots of responsibility, but there's plenty of cases where somebody has just leaked a not-yet-released feature onto torrentland because they could.

of course, i'm not saying i'd do anything like that - i value my job and have a family to feed. but it only takes one.
Old 13th April 2012, 18:17   #47  |  Link
diogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug Funky View Post
...but there's plenty of cases where somebody has just leaked a not-yet-released feature onto torrentland because they could.
Been there, done that.
It's going down, fast.
http://waxy.org/2012/01/

And while cam rips appear in torrentland the day a movie debuts, Blu-ray leaks are very rare by now (not counting a UK BD rip while no release in North America).
And I don't expect this trend to reverse. More care is taken to prevent it and it is getting easier to trace the leak source.

The success of iTunes (even DRM-ed at the beginning) showed that there is more than just price to make a product appealing and sell well. Same will (eventually) happen with movies. It's just that the unit price (movie vs. song) is orders of magnitude more expensive and therefore justifies (at least in the studious' view) more care to protect: Cinavia, UltraViolet, etc.

But the idea is and will stay appealing enough to never die.
Hollywood makes about 600 movies a year. Let's say 1000 movies a year get released on Blu-ray worldwide. With 50GB/movie it's 50TB total. Let's be generous and claim catalog releases double this number: 100TB.
In other words, to store all movies released in a year in a nice storage array will cost less than half of a cheap car.

I believe streaming is here for good.
Just to overcome the growing pains of satisfying all the players...

Diogen.
Old 13th April 2012, 19:08   #48  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenex View Post
Here is a nice happy shiny promotional video for the WalMart service:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3cnbGeskq7U

I personally remain skeptical. I still think it sounds ridiculous. But according to what I've read, it will be introduced into all WalMart stores with Photo-Centers (about 3500 of them) starting April 16. So I guess we will see.
So VUDU acts as UV (the backbone where VUDU gets the content from) reseller to Walmart and 5$ upgrade for the HD Streaming version so
I wonder how these 5$ per conversion now split between all 3 parties and if VUDU is still themselves transcoding the content or just put it through their system now directly to the end user (connection between the UV backbone and vudu)
And if VUDU customers that did the conversion get also automatically a UV account ?

For me this service doesn't look like the clasical UV sheeme as UV mandatories UV Discs and Walmart seems to allow any DVD even those not bought @ Walmart to be converted ? , also there is no information about usage rights and how long the license last nothing in any form in that commercial about these very strange.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 13th April 2012 at 19:25.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 19:44   #49  |  Link
diogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
For me this service doesn't look like the clasical UV sheeme as UV mandatories UV Discs and Walmart seems to allow any DVD even those not bought @ Walmart to be converted ?
Call it "transition period"...
They have to build up a critical mass of users to start phasing out discs.
And that proves to be not so easy. So they hire Walmart to kick-start the conversion.
Since that's the place where most DVDs are sold...

When (if?) this "transition" is over, studious will return to "maximazing shareholder value", i.e. raising prices.
It will be easier since the competition will be mostly dead...

Diogen.
Old 13th April 2012, 20:42   #50  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Call it "transition period"...
They have to build up a critical mass of users to start phasing out discs.
And that proves to be not so easy. So they hire Walmart to kick-start the conversion.
Since that's the place where most DVDs are sold...

When (if?) this "transition" is over, studious will return to "maximazing shareholder value", i.e. raising prices.
It will be easier since the competition will be mostly dead...

Diogen.

"We love the competition"
Old 21st April 2012, 13:02   #51  |  Link
marcusj0015

No, theres no reason anyone would want the UltraViolet track when we have the highest quality track from the BD already and it's much easier to get ahold of.
marcusj0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 02:44   #52  |  Link
diogen

Next step: UltraViolet gets implemented in Intel latest Ivy Bridge line of chips (later this year)
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/23/29...dge-processors

Diogen.
Old 24th April 2012, 06:53   #53  |  Link
Chetwood

Current step: blaming people who sell the unneeded/unwanted code of copyright infringement.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 17:34   #54  |  Link
CruNcher

Quote:
Next step: UltraViolet gets implemented in Intel latest Ivy Bridge line of chips (later this year)
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/23/29...dge-processors

Diogen.
The PMP required is already implemented since NT 6 fully used by Microsoft heavily and starting with Sandy Bridge Intel used it with it's own Platform and where the first to get the Green Light and approval by Hollywood so everything is ready by these days (this took some years to prepare though starting with all the TPM stuff and controversial discussion about it which evolved heavily and got it's own counterpart into the CPU and Bios directly for the Content Industry)

So on time Theatre Releases in HD everything is setup in a protected environment (some stuff is yet missing though will come with WIN 8), the same Ultraviolet is using.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 24th April 2012 at 17:42.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 18:58   #55  |  Link
diogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
The PMP required is already implemented since NT 6 fully used by Microsoft heavily...
Well, there is a difference between having it implemented on the OS or hardware level.
The first can be bypassed by somebody like DVD-John while the second ain't that easy...

Anyway, it looks like it might be time to have a few spare mobo+CPU in the closet.

Diogen.
Old 25th April 2012, 00:26   #56  |  Link
Lyris

Ultraviolet, digital copy, DVD, whatever - all the crap they pack in with Blu-ray Discs is astonishing. All I want is the BD! I don't want to watch 20 minutes of a film on my 3" telephone screen on the bus!
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 02:31   #57  |  Link
diogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyris View Post
All I want is the BD! I don't want to watch 20 minutes of a film on my 3" telephone screen on the bus!
And you will have all that for at least the next few years.
Maybe longer since AMD (and ARM in a year or two) might
not join Intel for a while even if only to differentiate themselves.

And by then DIY Raspberry Pi PCs might be enough...

Diogen.
Old 25th April 2012, 15:39   #58  |  Link
laz305

UltraViolet is GARBAGE!!!!!

I for one can't stand ultraviolet. For one you pay for it and you will never have or own a physical portable file. UltraViolet is not portable. You have to have an internet connection to stream it. Then there is no fastforward or skipping chapters. And even when I did download it thru flixster it was taking up about 1GB but would still crash when playing it. I will not buy any blu-ray that has ultraviolet no matter how much I like the movie! Dam you Green Lantern!!!!!!!
laz305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 15:38   #59  |  Link
diogen

UltraViolet marching forward...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/7/3299865/fox-ultraviolet-movie-downloads-prometheus

Make it same day release (as cinema) and it gets tempting...

Diogen.