Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 3rd March 2019, 09:26   #1  |  Link
hammer

dvd home videos conversion to hard drive

Hi it was 2011 I was last into dvd and home videos.
I have around 30 dvds I want to back up to hard drive i have an old desktop pc windows 10 with dvd and a blueray my only source left

I would like to know how to

simple 1 click solution
best format to change to
4.3 to 16.9 if possible
keep existing menus and sub tracks
maybe quality improvement comes with this

many thanks in advance hammer
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:16   #2  |  Link
Aray

MediaCoder might be a choice for quality video transcoder and professional.
Aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 20:12   #3  |  Link
hammer

thanks for reply Aray
will have a look at programme
Old 4th March 2019, 23:16   #4  |  Link
manolito

@hammer

Your required feature list is a bit hard to meet, some requirements contradict others...

First of all you cannot transcode a video which is compressed in a lossy format (DVD) without degrading the quality to some extent. If you do want to transcode then the art is to keep the degradation invisible to the unsuspecting viewer.

If "archiving" your original DVDs is your main goal, then you can just copy the "VIDEO_TS" folder to your HDD. If the source DVDs are encrypthed then you will need a software like AnyDVD or DVDFab (possibly DVDFab Passkey) to be able to copy the DVD. You could also copy your original DVD as an ISO to your HDD (use IMGBurn for this), virtually all software players can handle an ISO made from a DVD.

To convert 4:3 to 16:9 requires reencoding, and I do not really see the advantage (unless you like to watch a 4:3 video with a distorted aspect ratio to fill a widescreen display). If you want to convert it without distortion you need to crop off content at the top and the bottom. Bad idea. A 4:3 video watched on a wide screen display has black borders to the left and the right (pillarboxes), and this is the only way to watch it.

For keeping the menus you need to keep the original DVD structure. Tools like MakeMKV cannot be used in this case.

"Quality Improvement" is a touchy subject. It means you want to correct some flaws of the original DVD, i.e. remastering. I am very reluctant to do such things, the director of the clip did have a certain goal, and "correcting" the video by denoising, sharpening, tweaking brightness, contrast, hue and gamma certainly destroys the original vision of the director. Of course you can to this, but you better keep the original. Tastes do change with time. And of course such "artistic" improvements will never be a one-click operation.

If you still insist on "improving" the quality I recommend DVD-Rebuilder. It keeps menus, subs and chapters, and it allows the user to edit the AVS scripts to add all kinds of filters. It employs high quality encoders like HCenc or CCE, you can disable shrinking to a smaller size (which won't be important to you), so you can get a very high quality result. But as I said, this is not one-click.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 4th March 2019 at 23:18.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote