Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 1st March 2013, 05:01   #1241  |  Link
ScottJ

The docs mention that cropping is not performed on SUP format subs. The Blu-ray disc "Mesrine: Killer Instinct" has all subs as 1920x1080 which makes it unable to move the subs inside the 2.40 picture.

Is there a way I could get BDSup2Sub to crop this format, or is there another format I could convert to (preferably without losing anything) and then import?
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 16:23   #1242  |  Link
paradoxical

No, but bdsup2sub++ will automatically crop out the sub area if it detects such a case. This would then allow you to move them. Grab this test binary (assuming you're using Windows) if you want that capability.
Old 3rd March 2013, 06:54   #1243  |  Link
mood

it is possible save language export settings?

when export to idx/sub the language is always "english"

I have to change over and over again to spanish or portuguese because is always english.

Last edited by mood; 3rd March 2013 at 07:47.
mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 19:04   #1244  |  Link
paradoxical

No, that isn't a thing that is saved in the INI settings.
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:34   #1245  |  Link
ScottJ

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 has two forced subs at 0:52:59 that cause trouble for BDSup2Sub. (And BDSup2Sub++.)

With the original disc, when I turn on all subs, the first of the 2 forced subs is displayed simultaneously with another non-forced sub.

When BDSup2Sub loads the sup track, it gives a few warnings. When it extracts the forced subtitles, the first one comes on way too briefly.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:49   #1246  |  Link
paradoxical

Can you post the sub file?
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:21   #1247  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical View Post
Can you post the sub file?
It's OK to post a fair-use fragment but not the whole thing.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 08:52   #1248  |  Link
Vospi

This tool saved me, it fixed corrupt idx/sub files for whole anime series so AviSynth filters now open them fine.
Thanks a lot!
Vospi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 21:45   #1249  |  Link
urthling

Wildcards in new Command Line Interface?

Hello -

Was wondering if I could get some assistance with using the command line interface? I used to be able to specify wildcards like this:

Code:
java -jar c:\BDSup2Sub\BDSup2Sub.jar "*.sup" "output\*.sup" /res:1080 /fps:keep /movin:2.40,24
But I can't figure out how to do that with the new CLI. I can get single files to process if I specify the name manually by doing this:

Code:
java -jar c:\BDSup2Sub\BDSup2Sub.jar -r 1080 -T keep 2.40,24 -o c:\tmp\output.sup c:\tmp\input.sup
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
urthling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 08:59   #1250  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Use a command similar to this:
Code:
for %F in ("*.sup") do java -jar c:\BDSup2Sub\BDSup2Sub.jar "%~nF.sup" "output\%~nF.sup" /res:1080 /fps:keep /movin:2.40,24
Type for /? for more info.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 19:55   #1251  |  Link
urthling

Thanks r0lZ! After some tweaking, I was able to get the command to work in the processing batch file I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Use a command similar to this:
Code:
for %F in ("*.sup") do java -jar c:\BDSup2Sub\BDSup2Sub.jar "%~nF.sup" "output\%~nF.sup" /res:1080 /fps:keep /movin:2.40,24
Type for /? for more info.
Old 7th June 2013, 08:00   #1252  |  Link
mjuhasz

r0lZ, thank you for the example!
Let me take the opportunity to briefly explain what happened to the wildcard support.
When I revisited the command line interface implementation I found the existing one untested, non-standard and therefore hard to maintain. I rewrote that part using standard libraries which follow conventions such as short options along with GNU-like long options (e.g. -h,--help), etc. The wildcard support is supposed to be provided by the shell and not the application therefore I removed it. There are excellent shells out with which you can do batch operations easily.
I do realize that using shells is not everyone's thing. However, implementing a powerful and flexible batch processor requires countless hours of work. If I cut down on the hours then either the flexibility or the number of features would be severely reduced and therefore the work would not be worth it because too few people could actually use it in such a state.
mjuhasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 10:04   #1253  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjuhasz View Post
The wildcard support is supposed to be provided by the shell and not the application
True under Linux and most decent operating systems, but not under Windows. Thanks M$!
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 20:20   #1254  |  Link
urthling

mjuhasz -

No complaints here as there was a solution that existed to resolve the slight dilemma (due to my ignorance more than anything else). Thanks for your excellent work on the program and thanks r0lZ for the speedy assist.
Old 13th June 2013, 04:45   #1255  |  Link
DoctorM

Any progress identifying what can cause the jittery subtitles on some devices?
I assumed it was my interlaced display (an old CRT), but the latest version I tried still produces this on a new HDTV connected to the DVD player via HDMI.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 16:47   #1256  |  Link
CatBus

DoctorM asked me to post my findings regarding compatibility issues here.

First, some have mentioned that BD-SUP files created by BDSup2Sub flash for only one frame when played back in VLC (but they work fine in everything else I've tried). I've found that if you import and re-export the BD-SUP file in BDSupEdit, you end up with a BD-SUP file that works everywhere. I'm not sure what this means as far as where the bug is or how to fix it, but for users interested in maximizing compatibility, this is a simple enough process with no obvious downsides.

Second, the subtitle jitter issue is definitely due to the cropping of DVD subtitles. I've taken subtitles that displayed this jittery behavior and manually expanded them to fit the full frame, and the jitter goes away. If you don't have a hardware player that displays this issue (I have a Pioneer DV-333 that does it--it's old, but was a fairly well-regarded player for its time), you can open the subtitle in DVDSubEdit, and enable the zoom window. If the image in the zoom window wobbles up and down as you adjust the vertical position, that subtitle has the problem.

The jitter is a harder issue to fix, but I think I have something that should work. Right now, BDSup2Sub autocrops as it imports subtitles and that part is fine--it allows some nice features to work and I see no reason to change that. However, when BDSup2Sub exports any DVD subtitle, it should uncrop that subtitle first: i.e. create a transparent canvas the size of the full frame and position the subtitle on that canvas. That way, regardless of what the input format is, cropped or uncropped, and no matter what operation you want to perform, everything will still work, and the output will always have maximum compatibility. The downside to any fix for this issue is that the files for uncropped DVD subs are nearly twice as big as cropped subs. If this is considered a problem, perhaps the auto-uncrop feature could be optional. Either way, I think this problem may be more common than this thread indicates because techies tend to have newer hardware than the general population.
CatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 19:27   #1257  |  Link
paradoxical

Can you post both a flickering SUP and the corrected output of BDSupEdit? That would definitely help pinpoint what the issue might be.
Old 20th June 2013, 00:51   #1258  |  Link
CatBus

Just confirmed that the flickering problem is actually not present in the current version--sorry! Was using easySUP, which includes a very old version of BDSup2Sub. The flicker can be fixed by either a current version of BDSup2Sub or BDSupEdit. DVD issues are still present in the current version AFAICT.
CatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 05:25   #1259  |  Link
marcusj0015

On your site you say source code is available, but you just link to the thread (with fifty nine pages!), does anyone know the specific post with the source code?
marcusj0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 15:36   #1260  |  Link
paradoxical

For the last version done by deadbeef go here. For mjuhasz's work go here.