Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th August 2017, 19:18   #45161  |  Link
aufkrawall

I can confirm that madVR always crashes when using NNEDI3 chroma scaling + D3D11VA decoding at the same time on GTX 1070.

madshi, did you see my question regarding D3D11VA scaling/deinterlacing ETA? I know that you usually don't comment about ETAs, but I'd be also happy about a simple "when it's done".
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 19:29   #45162  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Interesting! Did you also try editing the horizontal porches in such a way that they're dividable by 2, 4 or even 8? Maybe it works that way?
Yes! Even simply keeping the porches even causes TV to be fine with custom settings even in 12-bit. I can use one of the "80" compatibility modes that, in my case, adds 36 to the front porch and modifies the pixel clock for no expected frame drops/repeats ever.

I had modified each setting by one and it went crazy on the horizontal porches but simply using 2 instead would have been fine.

(minor spelling error in the optimize timing parameters window: compatability should be compatibility)

Quote:
Can you provide more information on how to reproduce this?
If I set my display to any other refresh rate (e.g. 30 or 60 Hz), and then play a 23Hz video with auto refresh rate switching enabled in madVR, playback takes an oddly long time to start (longer then just the refresh rate switch) and LAV has fallen back to avcodec for decoding when it does start (and there is no DXVA2 in madVR's OSD). 8-bit or 12-bit doesn't change this behavior and DXVA2 copyback is fine.
Old 27th August 2017, 19:31   #45163  |  Link
Gee

Is it possible to render video Files with madVR, also? Or only live viewing rendering?
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 19:35   #45164  |  Link
Asmodian

Only live viewing, there is no mechanism that will copy the rendered video back off the GPU. madshi has mentioned that this may come some day.
Old 27th August 2017, 19:38   #45165  |  Link
Gee

ok
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 22:07   #45166  |  Link
egandt

I'm seeing a possible issue with HDR playback in 0.92.2, I see HDR for a second then nothing SDR, however if I then uncheck click ok, then select and click ok "send HDR metadata to the display" HDR play works, so I have to manually cycle this radio button to get HDR playback.

Running 0.92.1 I do not see this issue, however with 0.92.1 I have no sound using HDR. for now I will manually select/deselect "send HDR metadata to the display", in 0.92.2 as sound is always better.

Thanks,
ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 03:31   #45167  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Oh well, my workaround for FSE mode with the latest Nvidia drivers has stopped working. I'll make it work again in the next build.
Just to point out that previous madvr 0.92.1 still correctly switches to HDR in FSE using latest nvidia drivers (385.41). Guess something has changed in 0.92.2 as well.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 06:35   #45168  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

1080 on Win 10 (non-creators) using madvr (0.92.2) with driver 385.28 HDR FSE working fine.

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 06:53   #45169  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Those are film, right? Film on DVD - if properly encoded - is supposed to be IVTC'd, not deinterlaced as with video.
Thank you elFilou I think its now fixed.
I have auto deinterlacing ticked plus manual film mode ticked.
NTSC DVDs are not dropping/repeating frames and are displaing ivtc'd and Pal DVDs are not dropping/repeating frames and are also displaying ivtc'd.

So for now I think its all working and switching automatically now for NTSC/Pal DVDs.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 06:57   #45170  |  Link
Asmodian

I don't usually use exclusive mode so I hadn't noticed but with madVR 0.92.2, Win 10 1703, and a Titan XP with driver 385.41 my TV does switch out of HDR when exclusive mode activates.
Old 28th August 2017, 07:30   #45171  |  Link
Xterminator

I'm facing some weird bug where custom modes for my TV is showing the resolutions for my primary monitor instead of the TV. In the previous version, it would show the correct resolutions, but I had to set my receiver as a TV instead of the receiver option because the custom modes tab would disappear instantly.

I also didn't see this in the Custom Mode Tutorial, but I feel this should be noted there. Apparently you can't have DSR enabled on NVIDIA cards if you want custom resolutions to work. I was really confused when my timings weren't being saved at all, until I checked the NVIDIA Control Panel for custom resolutions and it said DSR had to be disabled for me to use custom resolutions.

Last edited by Xterminator; 28th August 2017 at 08:23.
Xterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 08:36   #45172  |  Link
Jasch

Hi madshi, thx for you response, here are the Infos.

Sony ZD9
Denon X6300H

Windows 10 En 2016 LTSB (1607)
Sap Nitro 4GB Rx460@560Bios
AMD Cat 17.8.2
Lavfilter Nightly 70.2.66
MadVR 92.2

testet with MPC-hc and Dvbviewer all 32bit

https://picload.org/view/rwipgpal/lav.jpg.html
https://picload.org/view/rwipgpai/madvr.jpg.html
https://picload.org/view/rwipgpaw/osd.jpg.html

I testet also a lot of settings RGB 4:4:4 full and reduced, YCbCr 4:4:4,4:2:2 in driver, 10 and 12 bit in driver(madvr set to 10bit and higher), in LAV all 3 settings
I try´d windowed and exclusive....

HDR from shield with amazon or netflix is working.

If you need more info, just let me know.

Last edited by Jasch; 28th August 2017 at 08:39.
Jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 10:35   #45173  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
Hmm. As of latest update, 10 bit videos on the laptop now have very large spikes in render time every 2-5 seconds. Reverting to the one a couple weeks ago fixes this. This is the one with an HD 8870 slaved onto an intel hd4000.

Oddly enough, the desktop playing the same file is fine. This one has an RX480, with no intel CPU enabled.
Not sure what do say about this. I simply don't have enough information to suggest anything specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
D3D11 DXVA doesn't crash anymore with v0.92.2
But now the video freezes for about 3 seconds each time there is a switch between full screen and windowed mode with refresh rate change. Than the video continues normally.
Can you create a debug log, zip it and upload it somewhere (don't attach it here) for me to look at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeekung View Post
Can't play video when chroma upscaling NNEDI3 activated. Error detected also when try to change to NNEDI3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hILLamChO8I
Can't seem to play/access this video, it seems to be blocked?

Is this with the new native D3D11 decoder, only? Or does this also happen with other decoders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I can confirm that madVR always crashes when using NNEDI3 chroma scaling + D3D11VA decoding at the same time on GTX 1070.
Ah, ok, will have to check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
did you see my question regarding D3D11VA scaling/deinterlacing ETA
Yes, and I replied to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Yes! Even simply keeping the porches even causes TV to be fine with custom settings even in 12-bit. I can use one of the "80" compatibility modes that, in my case, adds 36 to the front porch and modifies the pixel clock for no expected frame drops/repeats ever.
Good to hear! Seems I should apply a bigger "compatability hit" for modes with odd horizontal porch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
If I set my display to any other refresh rate (e.g. 30 or 60 Hz), and then play a 23Hz video with auto refresh rate switching enabled in madVR, playback takes an oddly long time to start (longer then just the refresh rate switch) and LAV has fallen back to avcodec for decoding when it does start (and there is no DXVA2 in madVR's OSD). 8-bit or 12-bit doesn't change this behavior and DXVA2 copyback is fine.
Can you create a debug log for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
I'm seeing a possible issue with HDR playback in 0.92.2, I see HDR for a second then nothing SDR, however if I then uncheck click ok, then select and click ok "send HDR metadata to the display" HDR play works, so I have to manually cycle this radio button to get HDR playback.
Should be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterminator View Post
I'm facing some weird bug where custom modes for my TV is showing the resolutions for my primary monitor instead of the TV. In the previous version, it would show the correct resolutions, but I had to set my receiver as a TV instead of the receiver option because the custom modes tab would disappear instantly.
I can reproduce it, thanks for letting me know. Should be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasch View Post
Hi madshi, thx for you response, here are the Infos.

Sony ZD9
Denon X6300H

Windows 10 En 2016 LTSB (1607)
Sap Nitro 4GB Rx460@560Bios
AMD Cat 17.8.2
Lavfilter Nightly 70.2.66
MadVR 92.2

testet with MPC-hc and Dvbviewer all 32bit

I testet also a lot of settings RGB 4:4:4 full and reduced, YCbCr 4:4:4,4:2:2 in driver, 10 and 12 bit in driver(madvr set to 10bit and higher), in LAV all 3 settings
I try´d windowed and exclusive....
Please always use RGB full. Your settings has Overlay active which AMD not supports. It shouldn't matter, but I'd suggest you uncheck that, just to be safe.

What does the EDID report say in the madVR settings dialog? Does it report HDR to be supported for your display?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 10:38   #45174  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

P.S: @FDisk80 and @Asmodian, can you please update to the very latest LAV nightly build? Older LAV nightlies had a bug which could result in D3D11 copyback to become active instead of D3D11 native. So the latest LAV nightly might already fix the problem you've reported.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 12:29   #45175  |  Link
DragonQ

When using DX11 decoding in LAV Filters, rendering time dropped from ~30 ms to ~10 ms for 1080p videos on my 1080p laptop when I switched from DX9 to DX11 render path. I'm sure I had issues in the past with the DX11 render path though, probably related to interlaced files, but for now I'll leave it like that and see how it goes. If deinterlacing gets implemented and works correctly I think I'll be sticking with it going forward!

Last edited by DragonQ; 28th August 2017 at 12:32.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 12:35   #45176  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Is this behaviour different depending on which decoder you're using (native DXVA2 vs native D3D11 DXVA vs software or DXVA copyback)? Did this ever work correctly?

I don't have the RM Brightness file.
Behaviour is the same irrespective of the decoder. It's very weird. If you let the file run, it causes an out of memory error (I have 16Gb installed!).

I reverted to my system image from the 23rd (when I did the HDR Metadata tests on the 3 files with MadVR 0.92.1). Behaviour is the same, so not caused by a change in the code.

I was focusing on the HDR data when I tested the file and as it is displayed I might have missed the issue then (it's a brightness pattern so mostly dark).

You can download the demo patterns from RM here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...-patterns.html

They all seem to cause the same issue. I calibrate HDR with the UB900 (my primary source for HDR content) so I haven't noticed this before on the HTPC.

Beware, I know that you won't believe that it could be the cause, but testing the pattern yesterday and letting it run a few times longer than I had when I was simply reading the metadata (I was trying to test the various decoders as requested) completely warped my OS partition, possibly due to the RAM overflow condition, hence why I had to reinstall from system image. I therefore highly suggest someone testing this has an up-to-date backup before running this patterns for more than a little while.

I am aware it sounds impossible, I am just reporting what happened here. Better safe than sorry

Quote:
madVR shows the important parts of the metadata in the OSD, if they're "good", most importantly the video's max luminance and the gamut (usually DCI-P3). madVR *also* tells you if the metadata is bad or missing (I don't know how to detect the difference). In that case madVR shows "HDR, unknown properties", as nevcairiel already mentioned. So from what I can see, all important information is already available in the OSD right now.
I'm not going to fight for this, I'm only providing feedback and trying to explain why what you're doing is good in theory but is a bad idea given how many HDR displays (Able to detect HDR metadata and switch to HDR mode) behave at the moment. Many of them (including all the JVC projectors) completely discard the HDR metadata. They do not try to read it in any way. They detect it, switch to their fixed mode (the same for 1000nits and 4000nits content) and that's it. So you "correcting" the metadata serves no purpose, except preventing the user from knowing what the actual metadata is, when they have the capability to do so and can act accordingly.

I also believe that the way you describe Passthrough mode, "the display receives the original HDR content untouched" is misleading if you are manipulating HDR metadata for whatever reason you see fit.

In addition, changing the metadata prevents finding issues in the way you handle it, as we have found in the last few days. Again, in my opinion, pass-through should be pass-through if called that way and described that way.

I would therefore suggest one of the following options:

1) If you don't care about the possible issues I'm reporting, you keep things the same but stop calling Passthrough mode that way and stop describing it as passing the HDR content untouched, because this is not what MadVR is doing if it changes the metadata for arbitrary reasons. It's an optimized mode that might be better for some displays (those that actually act on the static HDR10 metadata), but not for all. At the very least there should be an indicator in the OSD to warn that the metadata was molested and doesn't reflect the data present in the original content.

2) You offer a "native metadata" mode that does what passthrough should be doing (passthrough the HDR content untouched, including the metadata). Of course that doesn't include things we might want MadVR to do and can select manually, for example, I'm very happy to ask MadVR to do the chroma upscaling in that mode (it's doing a great job with NGU anti-alias). But if I ask MadVR to do nothing, it should do nothing in that mode and certainly not change the original metadata, especially when not displaying it in the OSD.

3) Display all the native metadata in the OSD so that we know what was in the source before you send the "corrected" data to the display.

It's your opinion which parameters matter and which do not. When calibrating, the reported mastering black level can matter as much as what the max brightness is, depending on the curve/settings we want to use and the options we want to have. HDR10 is a big mess, it doesn't work in "auto" mode with most displays, and behaving as if it did is not really helpful.

Again, I'm not talking about my own needs. I can get all this unmolested data from the UB900. I currently play all my HDR content from my UB900. I simply hope that at some point, I'll be able to use MadVR to play my UHD Blurays and it would be a shame to have to keep the UB900 just to be able to know what the actual metadata is so that we can select the appropriate calibration, should we wish to optimize it depending on the content.

Finally, this is purely theoretical because MadVR in the current build doesn't seem to be replacing the metadata even when it's set to zero. For example, the Exodus trailer reports 0,0 for MaxCLL/FALL, and MadVR correctly reports this.

In any case, it's your and Nevcairiel's decision what you want to do with metadata you deem unfit to use. I think it would be good to have an option to get the native metadata, unmolested, if we wish to. If you decide against it, it's not the end of the word, we'll still enjoy the product of your amazing collaboration

I wish we were in a world where all displays would act on metadata and not simply switch to a fixed mode whenever they detect it, in which case your decision would make complete sense, but in the real world as it is today, where many if not most displays simply discard the metadata, MadVR/LAV would behave in a worse way than a standalone player (from a calibration optimization point of view), at least for most current HDR projectors, and that's not something I'm used to with this great combo
Denon X8500H to JVC RS500/X7000

Last edited by Manni; 28th August 2017 at 15:31.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 12:40   #45177  |  Link
Manni

Forgot to say that the latest nVidia drivers (385.41) prevent from selecting 12bits in a custom mode in the nVidia control panel. Only 8bits is available. I reverted to 385.28 for this reason.
Denon X8500H to JVC RS500/X7000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 14:23   #45178  |  Link
mickeekung

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hILLamChO8I

OK unchecked private video now. I hope you will look into it.

Thanks

mickeekung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 14:43   #45179  |  Link
aufkrawall

Is bilinear downscaling working correctly currently? It gives me quite higher GPU usage and rendertimes than DXVA2 downscaling.
I have the same rendertimes, GPU clock and GPU usage with bilinear for chroma and luma like with bicubic when downscaling 4k 60fps to ~1440p.
I've already resetted the madVR settings to check if it makes a difference (doesn't).

Quote:
Yes, and I replied to it.
I really don't find it.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 15:31   #45180  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Beware, I know that you won't believe that it could be the cause, but testing the pattern yesterday and letting it run a few times longer than I had when I was simply reading the metadata (I was trying to test the various decoders as requested) completely warped my OS partition, possibly due to the RAM overflow condition, hence why I had to reinstall from system image. I therefore highly suggest someone testing this has an up-to-date backup before running this patterns for more than a little while.

I am aware it sounds impossible, I am just reporting what happened here. Better safe than sorry
About a week back I was watching a bunch of HDR clips on my HTPC and testing the quality vs the internal player of the TV. I don't quite remember why, but I was forced to do a reboot and the OS partition was corrupted and completely unreadable. Took the opportunity to do a clean install of the OS. Did not even consider watching HDR clips could cause that problem. But now that you have mentioned it, you might be onto something there. Again, I agree, sounds impossible.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling