Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 9th April 2002, 20:48   #21  |  Link
philhealey

To play PS2 backups you need modchip and DVD-Region-X (US)or Action Replay 2 (Euro), not required for PSX backups. Some games will also require a patch applied (EA games for example)
philhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2002, 21:09   #22  |  Link
bypass0404

thanks philhealey...i was hoping someone would eventually explain..again, thanks!!
bypass0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2002, 14:38   #23  |  Link
s0nyguy

philhealey,

sorry but your wrong .. the new modchips will play;

original ps (CD)
backup ps (CDr)
original ps2 (CD)
backup ps2 (CDr)
original movie (DVD)
backup movie (DVD-R)
original ps2 (DVD)
backup ps2 (DVD-r)

and you dont need any action replay or swap tricks or patches for EA games
s0nyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2002, 18:39   #24  |  Link
philhealey

sOnyguy, what new chips are these because places like the Mod Chip Store say even with the new chips these other extras are required for PS2 games, but not PSX. Is this because the game is moded with Ifoedit. Please explain how. I have copied DVD films on DVD-R and played on PS2 SCPH30003R without modchip, but this is all I have tried so far
Old 10th April 2002, 23:43   #25  |  Link
s0nyguy

Link to site to buy em

you are right about the dvd's though .. they will play without a mod chip - as will ps original games.
s0nyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2002, 00:36   #26  |  Link
philhealey

Thanks for the link good informative site, but the chip is 63.95 GBP /$89. You then have to solder 23 wires which will invalidate warranty.
With the Action Replay / DVD-Region-x and chip (Bundle kit 44.00 GBP / $62.50) you only have to solder 1 wire. I surpose the only bad thing is you still have to rip the PS2 games (I think ). By the way to play original psx games without chip, do you just backup as normal with prog... like CDRWIN.

bypass0404 I hope this helped answer some of your questions. Thanks to sOnyguy.
Old 11th April 2002, 14:46   #27  |  Link
bypass0404

thanks guys..i greatly appreciate you clarifying this for me..thanks!
bypass0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2002, 11:25   #28  |  Link
sarahjh69

My PS2 plays
DVD-r with a DVD movie
DVD-rw with a dvd movie

I using ifoedit and nero with udf 1.02 selected
but for some reason not every film will work??

and as for VIDEO_TS.....why not tick the box in ifoedit
that says recreate new VIDEO_TS.........works for me
sarahjh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2002, 18:16   #29  |  Link
philhealey

sarahjh69, Are you creating an Image before burning - Works everytime for me.
Old 14th August 2002, 10:07   #30  |  Link
XBDT

I have a Pioneer 626D DVD player and a H&B DVD player. If I record IfoEdited movies with Nero, VOB instant 6 or Prassi Primo DVD, they will ALL work on the PIONEER, but only the one written with Prassi Primo DVD will work on both players.
You can find the Prassi guide here: http://mpucoder.dynodns.net/derrow/primo.html
Maybe you have the same problem...
XBDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2002, 16:57   #31  |  Link
chris.gore

I posted this on another thread but looks like may be of some use in here.

"In Response to earlier questions on Nero. I had ver 5.5.8.0 and burnt disks that i had ifo'd. Got the message "Please insert Playstation disk" I have downloaded 5.5.9.9 this morning. The option "DVD VIDEO" that was greyed out on previous versions is now available. Just copy the Files that ifoedit creates into the VIDEO_TS folder and no problems playing on PS2.

Again the question of media. I have a 100 spindle of unbranded silver media and this works on the ps2. Only problem i have found is that the last chapter and credits at end are a bit jerky. Think this must be because the size was 4.12 gb and is nearing the edge of the dvd surface. I am going to strip down further as i kept English 2 ch, English 6ch and DTS on the disk. Should get it down to about 3.8 gb."
AMD 2400+, 768MB DDR PC 2700 Ram, 120 Gig Western Digital (7200, 8 MB Cache), Liteon 52x24x52, Pioneer DVR-A05, Win XP, Dvd2svcd 1.0.9 Build 3, Daemon Tools 3.11, Nero 5.5.10.20. Toshiba 520E Set-top DVD Player.
chris.gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2002, 17:52   #32  |  Link
Taokane

Just wanted to share my experience with DVD-R's and the PS2 (version 4):

I use Apple brand from Fry's at $5.38 each
DVD Burner: [Pioneer A04 not updated the firmware yet]
DVD burning software: [veritas]

I've used both ifoedit and maestro. Apples always work for both games and movies. My PS2 will not accept any cheap media though. Even games will barely run on non-branded stuff. No news there, but here's what's interesting: I've also been using Verbatims purchased at Best Buy for 4.70 a pop and I've gotten mixed results. They always work for games, but rarely for movies. After a couple of coasters (they would play on other stand alones, but not the PS2), I went back to apples using the same authoring techniques and I got positive results on the 'ol PS2. It just comes down to the cheap laser quality of older version ps2's.
Taokane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2002, 00:50   #33  |  Link
Caedel
Di Immortalis Chief

You dont need expensive media for PS2. Ritek's work perfectly and they are less than a dollar.
Pentium 4 2.26Ghz, Intel 850EMV2L MB, 1024MB PC1066 RDRAM, Prolink Geforce FX 5900, WD 100GB SE, Sony DRU-500A 4X DVD-R 4X DVD+R, Sony 24X CD-RW, Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM, Leadtek TV2000XP Deluxe, Bluetooth, Firewire, Lian-Li PC65 Case, 2 Blue & 1 Red Cold Cathode Light, Enermax Power Supply

Things to come: 512MB more RAM (maybe, if the price ever goes down a little more), HT Processor (I wish)

www.desensitized.com
Caedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2002, 14:49   #34  |  Link
ramutan
A step above.......

All sounds good but recap again

So in a nutshell, whats the method to follow to make the PS2 play the DVD's??
Can some one share the process and post a mini-guide with the software your using with positive results?

I use DVD+R on my PS2 but got mix results, for example some movies will play slow and some fast(2X) and no audio, no problem for movies under 4.3GB after removing all the extras; my problem is when I get long movies over 4.3 Gb and have to use CCE to get the movie to a more "friendly size".

Movies that play ok on PS2 using DVD+R and no CCE:

Ice Age
Lilo & Stich
Spirit
Goldmember
MIIB

not working:

K19
Starwars EP1
Spiderman

Best wishes
Old 11th January 2003, 03:10   #35  |  Link
thetered
Cool Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Caedel
You dont need expensive media for PS2. Ritek's work perfectly and they are less than a dollar.

Before you throw out a blanket statement like that consider there are many different versions of ps2 and such. As mine wont play riteks, or even memorex and imation, I've only had luck with apple, tdk, and verbatim so far.
thetered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2003, 00:57   #36  |  Link
pwav

I have a PS2 with a Magic 3 mod chip.

I use Prassi Primo DVD to create image from master disc and using the same software burn it into a DVD-R ( Pioneer A04 ). It works on my PS2. Copied PS1 games on CDR's also works with same procedure.

However, for some reason copied PS2 games on a DVD-RW and copied DVD movies on a DVD-R won't work on PS2 with Magic 3 chip.

PWAV
pwav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2003, 04:41   #37  |  Link
teapot

PS2 and DVD+R/RW - works

I've seen a couple of posts with PS2 not playing DVD+R/RW. I also had mixed results untill I noticed that large backups - the ones that take the whole DVD play, while small one's not always (Any one of them played on my stand-alone). I have traced it back to the DVD session being automatically closed for large backups. Now I am forsing the DVD to close and have not had a problem since.

The question is does anyone know of a way to close already written session? I have tried Roxio, nero and bee's recorder, but they all say no-can-do.
Well, roxio does not seem to have an option to force the closed session at all. Most of the options are grayed out once I put a DVD+R/RW in the drive.
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote