Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th December 2008, 15:28   #61  |  Link
sshd

There are some issues with 1.12:

- It is often impossible to get "1" correct. This number has a lot of space either side, which suprip translates into " 1 ". Not possible to adjust it under options, as it breaks everything else.
- "l" (lower capital L) is detected as "I".
- Replace high , with ' -- default setting is often wrong
- Crashes (where can I send more info)

It is possible and easy to fix the first three in postprocessing:

- Start by counting number "1" and " 1 ". If they are the same, then all 1s were detected as " 1 ".
- Replace all "I"s inside words with "l"s unless the word is a Roman number (Roman numbers contain of the letters I, V, L, C, D and M).
- Look up all words starting with "I" in a dictionary and convert to "l" if found. I can and will help you make such a dictionary, at least for English.
- Count the total number of , and '. If there are no commas at all or very few, then the "Replace high , with '" is most likely wrong.
sshd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 16:11   #62  |  Link
nautilus7

All these are common problems... Plus the missing letters in the start/end of many subs.
To put it simple the program is useless in its current version, but the developer is busy with adding idx/sub support... No comment.
nautilus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 16:49   #63  |  Link
rack04

What is idx/sub and how does that relate to sup files demuxed from HD DVD and Blu-ray using eac3to?
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 16:58   #64  |  Link
nautilus7

It's another subtitle format. I don't know exactly, but you can easily convert sup to idx/sub.
It has nothing to do with eac3to.
Old 28th December 2008, 17:48   #65  |  Link
Taktaal

idx/sub is basically the old DVD subtitle format. It's limited to low resolution, 4 colors and only one degree of transparency. It's also very badly documented. I checked a few open source utilities but even they don't agree what to set certain header bytes to. So Sub/idx format has been kinda postponed, maybe canceled. The documentation on the format is very sparse. It's possible to write a file but they generally just crash players as they get some kind of values they don't expect. As I've said before I really hate writing files in a format I don't have the official documentation from because it's just about impossible to find out whether a certain bug is your fault or not...

Anyway, I uploaded a new version that fixed a few earlier bugs.

I'll try to get ahold of some MPC-HC or VLC developers and talk with them about direct .sup display support. That's probably the better way to move bitmap subtitles forward.
Taktaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 18:35   #66  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktaal View Post
I'll try to get ahold of some MPC-HC or VLC developers and talk with them about direct .sup display support. That's probably the better way to move bitmap subtitles forward.
MPC HC supports .sup in m2ts. The problem is that mkvmerge doesn't support .sup.
saint-francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 18:52   #67  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
MPC HC supports .sup in m2ts. The problem is that mkvmerge doesn't support .sup.
It doesn't matter; TSMuxer makes m2ts with sups.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 19:28   #68  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Anyway, I uploaded a new version that fixed a few earlier bugs.
Thank you!

I was able to successfully OCR the Greek sup that i 've uploaded earlier. No problems at all.

But this sup file is (also gave trouble before) still missing the last letter from some lines. Though now it's only missing the last. And only in case it's a "." (dot).
Old 28th December 2008, 23:15   #69  |  Link
nautilus7

OCR'ed a few more subs...

The problem with last character missing (only . ) happens with italic lines only.
Also noticed one case where a comma was missing from the end of the 1st line (italic also).

Both bugs can be reproduced with this sup file. Subtitles #583, 1180, 1331, etc.

Also subtitle #792 is messed in the above sup file. SupRip thinks it's italic where it's not.

Last edited by nautilus7; 28th December 2008 at 23:18.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:47   #70  |  Link
BZeeme

v1.13 Critical Error

Just tried v1.13. It will not run on Vista 64 ->
[critical error:]

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Double BorderWidth(Byte[,], Int32, Int32)

at SupRip.SubtitleLetter.BorderWidth(Byte[,] array, Int32 side, Int32 position)
at SupRip.SubtitleLetter.AveragedBorderWidth(Byte[,] array, Int32 side)
at SupRip.SubtitleLetter.ReduceImage()
at SupRip.SubtitleLetter..ctor(Byte[,] i, String s)
at SupRip.SubtitleFont..ctor(FontType t, String fn)
at SupRip.SubtitleFonts..ctor()
at SupRip.MainForm..ctor()
at SupRip.Program.Main(String[] args)

Version 1.13 does run on Vista 32. I have been using v1.01 on Vista 64.
BZeeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 22:53   #71  |  Link
FreaQ
Starfish

I tried to convert a .sup which was demuxed by EVODemux.
But i ran into this error, when I opened the file.

Quote:
timeOfControl is not 0 on a start

Void LoadHddvdSup(System.IO.FileStream)

bei SupRip.SubtitleFile.LoadHddvdSup(FileStream fs)
bei SupRip.SubtitleFile.LoadFromSup(String supfile)
bei SupRip.MainForm.LoadSubtitleFile(String fileName)
So I tried to demux the .sup again with eac3to, but the error remains.

Programs: all latest versions

Any suggestions?
FreaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 19:46   #72  |  Link
legoholic

with the 1.13 version I was finally able to convert the Micheal Clayton sup (the 1.5Gb every frame duplicated one)

I still have a problem though with this one though from Asterix and the Vikings.

It has a cartoony font which totally screws up character recognition (especially separation) but even if I persist and keep filling in by hand the two and three letter combos it just crashes after a while. (Not with any crash log, but with the windows "suprip has encountered a problem and needs to close")

Also often it does not recognize the last character of the line.

I know its only one weird font, but maybe levelling the images before ocr-ing would help? remove the outline and leave only the white inner letter? that would problably help a lot with the character splitting.
legoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 22:18   #73  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoholic View Post
That's i believe the most significant remaining bug. It happens only with italic and if the last character of a line (either the 1st of the 2nd) is a dot(.) or a comma (,).
Old 30th December 2008, 22:44   #74  |  Link
legoholic

no that's not what I mean. I don't have that problem (at least not anywhere near to the same degree) with other sups.

I think it is specifically caused by this font/sup. Maybe it has something to do with many of the images having the rightmost character right up to the right border of the (displayed) image. ie there is no black at all to the right of it.
legoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 22:46   #75  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaQ View Post

Any suggestions?
The sups you get are HD-DVD compatible sups. You have to convert them to BD compatible sups first using SupRead.

Last edited by rica; 30th December 2008 at 22:53.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 23:35   #76  |  Link
quantum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
The sups you get are HD-DVD compatible sups. You have to convert them to BD compatible sups first using SupRead.

Suprip reads HD-DVD sup files.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 03:50   #77  |  Link
gkar

I have completed my first rip using your programme: thanks for your efforts.

I demuxed the Ironman movie m2ts file using TSRemux to get the *.sup files.

I missed the 'only forced subtitles' on the SRT tab first time around & gave up on the manual OCR because I couldn't figure out how to get italics working.

After I came back to it, there were 4 four *.sup files to check, the first two had no forced subs but the third one did. The last one strangely enough, was in another language, even though I only had checked the English presentation files in TSRemux.

I did a manual OCR. The following issues presented themselves: with in the occasional word 'p' was replaced with 'c' even though it appeared correct in the area where the recognised words are surrounded by green box (not sure what your term is for this area) (red boxes). Also, a number of words were joined with no ability to separate them as there is no green box between the words (orange boxes). I had to manually adjust these inside the saved *.srt file.

Also, how do you use italics, bold text, etc. inside your programme? Thanks.

Finally, why is it not feasible to have a programme that just uses the named *.sup file directly inside your favourite player -eg. Zoomplayer? Why the need for this extra step of OCRing it to another format?

Please, no technical dissertations; just a plain-speak reason if it is at all possible. Cheers.

PS. any idea why Zoomplayer adjusted the aspect ratio when I am using the Ironman.srt subs file? Will post at their forum. Had to change AR from "source" to "disabled: (fit to window)".

Last edited by gkar; 1st January 2009 at 03:54. Reason: extra question
gkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 17:03   #78  |  Link
Taktaal

The k and t are too close together to be seen as a space with your setting of Space Width = 12. Change that to 10 and it'll work.
And the p seems to have been wrongly entered by you. Select it, correct the letter in the text box and press "OK"
The .sup format is a closed source format by Sony and only official licensees get the format description. That's why no other players can have official support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaQ View Post

Any suggestions?
This isn't a problem with demuxing. It looks like that subtitle is using some weird form of subtitle display time correction that I wasn't sure how to handle. Can you upload the .sup somewhere so I can have a look at how to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoholic View Post
I still have a problem though with this one though from Asterix and the Vikings.

It has a cartoony font which totally screws up character recognition (especially separation) but even if I persist and keep filling in by hand the two and three letter combos it just crashes after a while. (Not with any crash log, but with the windows "suprip has encountered a problem and needs to close")

I know its only one weird font, but maybe levelling the images before ocr-ing would help? remove the outline and leave only the white inner letter? that would problably help a lot with the character splitting.
The next version will have a contrast setting that can be used to better split fancy outlined letters like in this subtitle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post

Suprip reads HD-DVD sup files.
I'd like to keep the program fully compatible with HD-DVD. A lot of the functionality is done anyway and there's still a bunch of legacy disks out there that people will have an interest in ripping so they can keep the movies they've paid for even after they sell off their drives.

Last edited by Taktaal; 1st January 2009 at 17:25.
Taktaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 17:18   #79  |  Link
quantum

Quote:
I'd like to keep the program fully compatible with HD-DVD...
Which is a great thing. My post may have accidentally looked like a question. It could have been worded better this way:
Suprip does read HD-DVD sup files. There is no need to first convert to Blu-ray with Supread.
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 04:55   #80  |  Link
gkar

Quote:
The k and t are too close together to be seen as a space with your setting of Space Width = 12. Change that to 10 and it'll work.
And the p seems to have been wrongly entered by you. Select it, correct the letter in the text box and press "OK"
The .sup format is a closed source format by Sony and only official licensees get the format description. That's why no other players can have official support.
Thanks for the reply, especially on the Sony clarification, much appreciated.

Regarding the incorrect entering of the 'c', does not the image show the word 'weapon' correctly spelt in the main box? I don't think I had to manually enter that particular letter. Can the lower, grey area, where it is spelt incorrectly be different to the main area if one manually types the letter incorrectly?

Finally, for future reference, does the 'space width' box require adjustment depending on the original font used in the Blu-ray movies? Or could '10' be taken as an acceptable dimension for most *.sup files? Thanks.
gkar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suprip