Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th January 2006, 21:02   #1401  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

CVS Update:
Fixed some x264 CC warnings

Encoders paths have now their own tab in Settings (changes by dimzon)

@dimzon: please update the assemblyinfo version and the changelog the next time you commit some changesl, thanks
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 21:40   #1402  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Putting a try/catch block in CalculateBitrate() just because you're calling into an unknown library that might throw something
I wouldn't use try/catch unless I knew the library would thrown an exception.. if it's not part of the API description then the normal thing to do (imho) is assume there are no exceptions or that whatever might be caused will be handled internally.. so the api description would mention what exception can be thrown, or return a value of -1 (as an example) to indicate something has gone wrong internally.

And by the way, about the dgdecode path.. it stands to reason that those opening d2v's in MeGUI have created their d2v's in MeGUI.. and unpacked the entire zip to a directory and configured the dgindex path there.. plus then copied the dll. So having it two places would be nothing special but rather the standard scenario.
Old 20th January 2006, 22:03   #1403  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@dimzon: when I compile I get two warnings in AudioEncoder telling me the Thread.Resume/Suspend is back? Didn't I eliminate that with my latest CVS update? I cannot open any but the baseAudioConfigurationDialog in the GUI designer.. once again, choice or error? I thought visual inheritance wouldn't deny the ability to use the GUI designer. Here's the full error message I'm getting:

The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed. The designer inspected the following classes in the file: lameConfigurationDialog --- The base class 'MeGUI.baseAudioConfigurationDialog' could not be loaded. Ensure the assembly has been referenced and that all projects have been built.

Where is the distinction made if avisynth or besweet is to be used for audio encoding and where can this be configured?

And perhaps most importantly.. where do I get neroraw.exe?

Another thing: the FAAC config dialog seems to default to CBR but doesn't have a bitrate set.. it should have 128 kbit/s preset. And should it say kbit/s at least for CBR and something for VBR as well? Okay, that's my fault actually.. seems the original didn't have those indications either.

last but not least.. I can't seem to encode anything.. here's the log

Quote:
The current job contains errors. Skipping chained jobs
Starting job job1 at 22:02:54
Job is an audio job. Commandline:
-core( -input "D:\DVDs\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\residentevil AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3" -output "D:\DVDs\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\residentevil AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp4" -logfile "D:\DVDs\DVDVolume\VIDEO_TS\residentevil AC3 T01 3_2ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.besweet.log" ) -azid( -cbr 128 ) -ota( -g max )
successfully started encoding
Processing ended at 22:02:54
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log for job job1

Error:
System.ApplicationException: Can't find audio stream!
at MeGUI.DimzonEncoder.encode()
And that's bs.. the audio stream is properly configured.

Oh, the new jobs are also not being loaded upon startup.. and the commandline (not shown...), seems to be the besweet commandline

@update: debugging the code I found that the settings object is not being properly propagated.. the DimzonEncoder seems to think my faac.exe has no path associated with it even though I've properly configured it.
Old 20th January 2006, 22:08   #1404  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Quote:
so the api description would mention what exception can be thrown, or return a value of -1 (as an example) to indicate something has gone wrong internally.
Doesn't matter. You still wouldn't want to put a try/catch there. In fact, you might consider throwing an exception if you received -1 from the API.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 22:09   #1405  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

@anyone -- what does setting the Avisynth plugin dir in Settings -> Path do? Any reason we shouldn't pull it from the registry?
Old 20th January 2006, 22:23   #1406  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I also believe you got lame's cbr and abr mixed up:
Code:
case BitrateManagementMode.ABR:
                        m_commandLine = "-b " + m.Bitrate + " --cbr -h --silent - \"{0}\"";
                        break;
                    case BitrateManagementMode.CBR:
                        m_commandLine = "--abr " + m.Bitrate + " -h --silent - \"{0}\"";
                        break;
--abr smells like abr, not cbr..

And what's up with
Code:
if (priority == ProcessPriority.IDLE)
                        m_encoderThread.Priority = ThreadPriority.Lowest;
There's a ThreadPriority.Idle, isn't there?
Old 20th January 2006, 22:31   #1407  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

and I have no clue how to debug this thing.. I set a breakpoint in your encoder start, it starts a thread with threadstart parameter encode so I put a breakpoint in the encode method, only to find it never gets there..
Are you cleaning up after the encoder? Because if you create a file in the temp folder.. you better.. the automated cleanup after encoding isn't capable of finding that file. I actually meant to suggest that the file have the same name as the audio, just with avs appended.. so you clearly know whom it belongs to.

Also, as far as audio input goes.. enabling everything isn't such a good idea.. most filetypes aren't audio so it should only support those that we can handle.

Also, there's already a class wrapping AVIFile.. it would make sense that you use this one and make changes where needed (without breaking current functionality of course.. make sure you test encoding and avisynth script preview)

And some more things: I think your encoder should derive from audioencoder, or at least be called from it so there's a common path it goes through.. just like the 3 video encoders and 3 muxers use a common class. That also allows easy switching of encoders.

How about using the commandlinegenerator to generate encoder commandlines?

Last but not least I have to ask the dreaded question "how well did you test this?" I mean.. encoding doesn't even get to the point where it would fail because the encoder paths are not being propagated..
Old 21st January 2006, 10:46   #1408  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth
@dimzon: please update the assemblyinfo version and the changelog the next time you commit some changesl, thanks
Hi, happy to see your health is better.
Isn't possible to get changelog automatically via CVS?
dimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2006, 11:49   #1409  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
when I compile I get two warnings in AudioEncoder telling me the Thread.Resume/Suspend is back?
Don't worry I will eluminate it later. This is my code from BeHappy.
By the way
Are you shure Your current encoder.pause implementation really pauses external process? I do not think so, maybe I'm wrong? You only pauses StdOut/StdErr reading from it, isn't it. It means encoding still work...

Quote:
I cannot open any but the baseAudioConfigurationDialog in the GUI designer.. once again, choice or error?
I have yet checked it - everything is fine? Maybe this error is VS Express (I'm using full version now)

Quote:
The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed. The designer inspected the following classes in the file: lameConfigurationDialog --- The base class 'MeGUI.baseAudioConfigurationDialog' could not be loaded. Ensure the assembly has been referenced and that all projects have been built.
Does you compile project in VS before???

Quote:
Where is the distinction made if avisynth or besweet is to be used for audio encoding and where can this be configured?
This is not exists yet. If you want to switch to BeSweet just replace aEnc= new DimzonEncoder() by aEnc= new AudioEncoder() @ Form1.cs

Quote:
And perhaps most importantly.. where do I get neroraw.exe?
As I said before you need BeHappy.Extension.Encoder.Nero7AAC.exe from BeHappy - use it instead of neroraw. I plan to remove BeHappy-related code from it && rename to neroraw a bit later.

Quote:
Another thing: the FAAC config dialog seems to default to CBR but doesn't have a bitrate set.. it should have 128 kbit/s preset. And should it say kbit/s at least for CBR and something for VBR as well? Okay, that's my fault actually.. seems the original didn't have those indications either.
Will be fixed later

Quote:
last but not least.. I can't seem to encode anything.. here's the log
It means there are error @ avisynth script. You need NicAudio plugin for ac3/dts, MPASource for mp3

Quote:
Oh, the new jobs are also not being loaded upon startup.. and the commandline (not shown...), seems to be the besweet commandline
I do not touch job-related commadline generation, your old code invoked there

Quote:
debugging the code I found that the settings object is not being properly propagated.. the DimzonEncoder seems to think my faac.exe has no path associated with it even though I've properly configured it.
No, it does...

Quote:
I also believe you got lame's cbr and abr mixed up
Thanx, Fixed

Quote:
And what's up with
Code:
if (priority == ProcessPriority.IDLE)
                        m_encoderThread.Priority = ThreadPriority.Lowest;
There's a ThreadPriority.Idle, isn't there?
No, look @ enum ThreadPriority@ MSDN - there are no ThreadPriority.Idle

Quote:
and I have no clue how to debug this thing...
Place breakpoint @ DimzonEncoder::encode - everything is fine (I'm using VS2005 Proffessional Edition).

Quote:
Are you cleaning up after the encoder? Because if you create a file in the temp folder..
Yes! Definitly everything is cleaned up (even uncomplete output if exception is occured)

Quote:
I actually meant to suggest that the file have the same name as the audio, just with avs appended...
No. Name is obtained like:
Code:
System.IO.Path.GetTempPath() + "encode-" + Guid.NewGuid().ToString("N") + ".avs";
I'm strongly prefer using Guid's to avoid ANY conflicts.

Quote:
Also, as far as audio input goes.. enabling everything isn't such a good idea.. most filetypes aren't audio so it should only support those that we can handle.
Really we need (I think) such filter:
Code:
All Supported Files (*.mp3,....)| *.mp3... | All files (*.*) | *.*
Bcz theoretically you can try to use any file via DirectShowSource. (RealAudio/WMA/AVI etc)

Quote:
Also, there's already a class wrapping AVIFile.. it would make sense that you use this one and make changes where needed (without breaking current functionality of course.. make sure you test encoding and avisynth script preview)
Yes, i know, as i say before - this still reque refactoring. And I want to write direct avisynth.dll wrapper to got better error diagnostics (instead audio stream not found) in nearest future so i decide do not spent time to refactoring AVIFile usage now - it will be removed anycase when my wrapper will be done.

Quote:
And some more things: I think your encoder should derive from audioencoder, or at least be called from it so there's a common path it goes through.. just like the 3 video encoders and 3 muxers use a common class. That also allows easy switching of encoders.
Current audio processing consist of 2 step's:
  • Decoding && DSP
  • Encoding
So AudioEncoder is not a valid name. I propose AudioJobHandler. I believe using AviSynth for Decoding && DSP is enought so we does not need polyphormism @ this point. Encoding in current impementation perform via command-line encoders via StdIn. In future is possible to define AudioEncoder class with such methods:
Code:
public interface IAudioEncoder
{
 void Init(string outputFileName, int samplerate, int channels, int bitsPerSample);
 void Done();
 void Abort();
}
Quote:
How about using the commandlinegenerator to generate encoder commandlines?
It will be used later (i do not want to change it until first initial commit. and I don't like it bcz this is one class wich knows about every commandline tool)

Quote:
Last but not least I have to ask the dreaded question "how well did you test this?" I mean.. encoding doesn't even get to the point where it would fail because the encoder paths are not being propagated..
No, they was. I really don't understand why this code doesn't for for you. Try to extrac && compile fresh sources http://www.mytempdir.com/398686 @ clear folder

I'm waiting for your response!

Last edited by dimzon; 21st January 2006 at 11:53.
Old 21st January 2006, 11:54   #1410  |  Link
max-holz

Where could I find neroraw.exe? I see this exe in the new program files tab of rev 2035.

Last edited by max-holz; 21st January 2006 at 12:03.
max-holz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2006, 12:08   #1411  |  Link
The Link

Dimzon wrote in his posting above yours:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimzon
As I said before you need BeHappy.Extension.Encoder.Nero7AAC.exe from BeHappy - use it instead of neroraw. I plan to remove BeHappy-related code from it && rename to neroraw a bit later.

The Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2006, 13:08   #1412  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I have yet checked it - everything is fine? Maybe this error is VS Express (I'm using full version now)
I have VS 2k5 standard installed on this machine. However, today it seems to work.

Quote:
Are you shure Your current encoder.pause implementation really pauses external process? I do not think so, maybe I'm wrong? You only pauses StdOut/StdErr reading from it, isn't it. It means encoding still work...
Well.. stopping the reading of these outputs seems to do the trick.. it's not like you can tell an external process to just go to sleep (it starts with the problem that there's no processpriority.sleep) x264 takes a bit longer to react, but all the others pause instantaneously.

Quote:
As I said before you need BeHappy.Extension.Encoder.Nero7AAC.exe from BeHappy
I downloaded your latest Behappy release (December 29th).. there's no nero7aac.exe in it.

Quote:
No, look @ enum ThreadPriority@ MSDN - there are no ThreadPriority.Idle
Oops, I mistook that for processpriority.idle (which does exist obviously since I'm using it for every encoder)

Quote:
Place breakpoint @ DimzonEncoder::encode
In the third encoding attempt it finally breaked there.. that was after I posted here.

Quote:
Try to extrac && compile fresh sources
I did that.. I used what you posted, opened that whole project and compiled.. there's no code from anyplace else.

Another few thoughts: every one of my encoders and muxers performs a check if the required files are there (executable).. before putting a line into the script that requires a plugin, in sticking with the current scheme of encoders, it should check if that plugin does exist (you do have to configure your avisynth plugin path in the settings.. so you know where to look - and in addition I think we could read that path from the registry so it would be pre-configured if the MeGUISettings object holds an empty string for that property)

Code:
void Init(string outputFileName, int samplerate, int channels, int bitsPerSample);
 void Done();
 void Abort();
Do you know all those properties? I certainly don't know them for a besweet encoder. And what does Done() do? What about pause/resume?

Quote:
Really we need (I think) such filter:
Well.. you can add the all files for completeness sake, but it should never be the default. The default filter should open just what kind of input types are supported (naturally you could name an mp3 audio.doc but that's not something we need to handle).

Quote:
so i decide do not spent time to refactoring AVIFile usage now
Why would you need to refactor it? I think it'll probably be enough to just add a few properties that work for audio since currently there's only video related stuff. And with all your critizizing of my code, I'm a bit surprised to see that the new audio encoder is at least as bad architecture wise.. I hope you'll understand where I might feel a bit miffed by that.. you don't go around critizizing and trying to make everybody change if you then don't live up to the standard yourself.
Old 21st January 2006, 13:36   #1413  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
IWell.. stopping the reading of these outputs seems to do the trick.. it's not like you can tell an external process to just go to sleep (it starts with the problem that there's no processpriority.sleep) x264 takes a bit longer to react, but all the others pause instantaneously.
WOW. Very interesting! This means we can't run encoder @ silen mode (without progress output) bcz we can't pause it in this case.

Quote:
I downloaded your latest Behappy release (December 29th).. there's no nero7aac.exe in it.
not just nero7aac.exe BUT BeHappy.Extension.Encoder.Nero7AAC.exe

Quote:
Another few thoughts: every one of my encoders and muxers performs a check if the required files are there (executable).. before putting a line into the script that requires a plugin, in sticking with the current scheme of encoders, it should check if that plugin does exist (you do have to configure your avisynth plugin path in the settings.. so you know where to look - and in addition I think we could read that path from the registry so it would be pre-configured if the MeGUISettings object holds an empty string for that property)
Yes, It can be done and I will implement it later. In addition i have an idea to implement "check all settings" feature - add one more item to menu. This feature must check every executable/plugin/etc and produce a report about possible troubles.

Quote:
Code:
 void Done();
 void Abort();
Do you know all those properties? I certainly don't know them for a besweet encoder.
You forgot again. BeSweet is not an encoder, its whole AudioJobProcessor (in my proposd terminology). AudioEncoder works after decoder/DSP so you know this parameters
Quote:
And what does Done() do? What about pause/resume?
Sorry, my proposed interface was not complete yet
Code:
public interface IAudioEncoder
{
 void EncodeBlock(byte[] rawPcmData);
 void Done();
 void Abort();
 // stop/pause/etc - TODO
}
Done means no nore aduo avaluable let's finalize.

Quote:
Well.. you can add the all files for completeness sake, but it should never be the default.
Agreed by 100%. Yes, off couse! Current *.* filter is just for testing

Quote:
Why would you need to refactor it? I think it'll probably be enough to just add a few properties that work for audio since currently there's only video related stuff.
I does not want to touch this code at all bcz I plan to replace it ASAP.

Quote:
And with all your critizizing of my code, I'm a bit surprised to see that the new audio encoder is at least as bad architecture wise.. I hope you'll understand where I might feel a bit miffed by that.. you don't go around critizizing and trying to make everybody change if you then don't live up to the standard yourself.
Hey, I say "this code is crap && reques refactoring" isn't it? I just perform initially copy/paste of BeHappy.Encoder into MeGUI and perform a little tweaks to fit it to IEncoder interface - no more. I do not like this code myself and I plan to refactor it right after my managed Avisynth wrapper will be done. So do not bla me for it And another reason which slowdown code refactoring still conditional compilation - it breaks VS2005 build-in code analyst features as well as it breaks my favorite ReSharper. Of couse this is not MeGUI problem but VS2005/ReSharper but i can't work productively without it. Just imaginate You switch form VS2005 to Notepad - for me this is the same when i switch from ReSharper to pure VS2005.
Old 21st January 2006, 14:11   #1414  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
WOW. Very interesting! This means we can't run encoder @ silen mode (without progress output) bcz we can't pause it in this case.
No.. you can still read it.. but not process anything and thus no status updates.
Quote:
not just nero7aac.exe BUT BeHappy.Extension.Encoder.Nero7AAC.exe
There's only one exe in the zip
Quote:
for me this is the same when i switch from ReSharper to pure VS2005.
Visual Studio 2005 has a bunch of refactoring features built-in, and then you have those code templates (that I've never used). And they have no problem with conditional compilation. I can't imagine how ReSharper would help integrating all your duplicate VfW code and put it into the AviReader class.
Old 21st January 2006, 15:33   #1415  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
There's only one exe in the zip
are you joking ???
Code:
sources
behappy.exe
behappy.exe.config
behappy.extensibility.dll
behappy.extension.encoder.nero7aac.exe
behappy.oggvorbis.encoder.extension
behappy.oggvorbis.encoder.extension.dll
downmix.extension
enc_aacplus.extension
ffmpeg-ac3.extension
flac.extension
lame.extension
nero7.txt
nero7aac.extension
nicaudio.extension
upmix.extension
wavpack.extension

Quote:
I can't imagine how ReSharper would help integrating all your duplicate VfW code and put it into the AviReader class.
Uhhh. I just tell You in prevoius post:
Quote:
I does not want to touch this code at all bcz I plan to replace it ASAP.
ASAP == during 2-5 days (mostly AvisynthWrapper is alredy done, keep testing)

Last edited by dimzon; 21st January 2006 at 15:36.
Old 21st January 2006, 16:51   #1416  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

@dimzon
Quote:
I'm strongly prefer using Guid's to avoid ANY conflicts.
I think it's better to use DateTime.Now.Ticks for unique tempfiles/logs/etc
- much shorter/cleaner-looking that GUIDs
- filenames will always be in date order, makes finding the right one easy
Old 21st January 2006, 16:55   #1417  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. in order to be consistent with the naming, the one click encoder uses the input file for avs scripts.. I think the most coherent thing would be that the name of a temporary avs file is the source name plus .avs appended. And there's one problem with moving things to the temp directory.. if something goes wrong, or the user doesn't have the cleanup option enabled.. you'll never find your temporary files as only those who've seen the code know where things go. I'm not happy at all to have applications that fill up my temp directory and force me to clean it on my own.. even if files are not being deleted, at least if I have them all together I'll realize quickly enough what I can get rid of. But perhaps I know too much so that I'm able to identify which files I no longer need?
Old 21st January 2006, 17:22   #1418  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Just make it TempDir\MeGUI\<videofilename> + DateTime.Now.Ticks + ".avs"

That gives you everything you want: which input file it affects, proper sorting, and easy for a human to group by job or to blow away the whole directory.
Old 21st January 2006, 20:24   #1419  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

2 all developers
AviSynthWrapper is done. take look http://www.mytempdir.com/399806
Old 21st January 2006, 22:59   #1420  |  Link
berrinam

Small CVS update:
(In compile.bat) If there are no commandline arguments, do the same as compile all.

I haven't updated the version number, etc, because it doesn't affect anything else. I made this change so that compile.bat can be run without the commandline.
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, megui, not a help thread