Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 6th April 2011, 22:07   #2081  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I am having issues with my 5670 GPU.... oh wait, sorry, saw you guys and I thought this was the 'ATI HD 5000 Series Known Problems' thread on AVS
LOL! You have no problems. It's ALL WORKING PERFECTLY.
Old 6th April 2011, 23:28   #2082  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
These were instant view. And through my PS3 the quality is good good good. But NOT the same on the 360 or PC streaming. Whatever they're doing on the PS3 client the quality is much higher than anywhere else. I can look later if I have time and try to find one that has DD+.
Yeah, I was talking about those. I've had a PS3 for a while now. Specifically the starz content is bad because many times they don't respect the original aspect ratio. If they're not cropping older movies to 4:3, they're cropping newer 2.35:1 movies into 16:9. Also black levels are all over the place. Check out Brooklyn's Finest, for example.

Also, you might not notice this on most TVs, but for instance the Pioneers have automatic inverse telecine for content originally shot at 24 fps. I output my PS3 at 1080i, and I can watch that content refreshed at 72 Hz. All good, except starz doesn't preserve usual 2-3 cadence, and all is effed up. Some TV content like Psych look just fine at 24p/72Hz.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 23:46   #2083  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Yeah, I was talking about those. I've had a PS3 for a while now. Specifically the starz content is bad because many times they don't respect the original aspect ratio. If they're not cropping older movies to 4:3, they're cropping newer 2.35:1 movies into 16:9. Also black levels are all over the place. Check out Brooklyn's Finest, for example.

Also, you might not notice this on most TVs, but for instance the Pioneers have automatic inverse telecine for content originally shot at 24 fps. I output my PS3 at 1080i, and I can watch that content refreshed at 72 Hz. All good, except starz doesn't preserve usual 2-3 cadence, and all is effed up. Some TV content like Psych look just fine at 24p/72Hz.
That's pretty screwy. I don't watch a lot of content on instant watch. Mostly I'm watching tv shows and stuff. For movies, I get the blu-ray cause clearly I'm all about the quality. Vudu isn't bad. I just checked them out recently. I rented Machete 1080p before I ended up buying it on BD. The quality, for streaming, was acceptable.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:15   #2084  |  Link
dbone1026

I saw you guys mentioned SP Pro, what is the benefit of that over a player such as MPC HC? I take it SP Pro uses all its own codecs/filters, so you cannot replace as you can with MPC HC. Looking at the FAQ comparison SP Pro looks like it can barely play back anything (the HD-Cam version looks like the only useful one)

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
dbone1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 13:26   #2085  |  Link
SamuriHL

I don't use it. Hadn't ever heard of it until it was mentioned as being able to do DD+ on an AMD card. However the only real way to test that theory is to bitstream a 7.1 DD+ stream and see if you do, in fact, get 7.1 channels. Every time I've tried that with anything on an AMD card, it fails. PDVD incorrectly marks DD tracks on a BD as DD+. It's *NOT* DD+....it's just mislabeling it somehow. (Neat trick, though).
Old 8th April 2011, 10:11   #2086  |  Link
Andy o

Me either, "Ontherocks" mentioned it. S/he also mentioned the same about it being able to bitstream DD+ at Tulli's EDID thread at AVS, Tulli said he'd check it out but didn't come back to it, so I just checked myself with the trial of SP Pro. It looks OK though, and it at least played m2ts files. I didn't test further. But yeah, no directshow, it's gonna be barely useful for us. Just look at VLC. No WASAPI exclusive, no bitstreaming, no DTS-HD decoding, no madVR, etc etc. If Slyplayer turns out to be what we've been hoping for, it's because James is one of us .
Old 8th April 2011, 10:13   #2087  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
I don't use it. Hadn't ever heard of it until it was mentioned as being able to do DD+ on an AMD card. However the only real way to test that theory is to bitstream a 7.1 DD+ stream and see if you do, in fact, get 7.1 channels. Every time I've tried that with anything on an AMD card, it fails. PDVD incorrectly marks DD tracks on a BD as DD+. It's *NOT* DD+....it's just mislabeling it somehow. (Neat trick, though).
PDVD is probably just reading the 640kbps bitrate, which is not supposed to be on a traditional (DVD, HD-DVD) Dolby Digital stream.
Old 8th April 2011, 11:46   #2088  |  Link
dbone1026

Quote:
Me either, "Ontherocks" mentioned it. S/he also mentioned the same about it being able to bitstream DD+ at Tulli's EDID thread at AVS, Tulli said he'd check it out but didn't come back to it, so I just checked myself with the trial of SP Pro. It looks OK though, and it at least played m2ts files. I didn't test further. But yeah, no directshow, it's gonna be barely useful for us. Just look at VLC. No WASAPI exclusive, no bitstreaming, no DTS-HD decoding, no madVR, etc etc. If Slyplayer turns out to be what we've been hoping for, it's because James is one of us .
Is SlyPlayer even still in the works, I am getting the impression that it is the Keyser Soze of the media world?

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
dbone1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 13:11   #2089  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yes, it is. Peer posted that it already plays avatar, some clearly progress is being made. I hope that if it doesn't bit stream natively that it allows us to use ffdshow or another dshow bitstreaming decoder.
Old 14th April 2011, 22:09   #2090  |  Link
Bmwx5

Hi! Guys, please, tell me, I outputed TrueHD and DTSHD Master by bitstream (from comp to receiver) and indicators HD lit up on the receiver and
the sound is normal from all 5 dynamics, but I don't understand, Why in this case ffdshow displays this:
"Input: Dolby TrueHD, 7.1, 96000 Hz, 327 kbps (bitstream)", "Output: HDMI bitstream (1402)".
File type is *.m2ts., although, in my opinion, the sound of TrueHD and DTSHD Master must be higher than 2000 kbps. But when I tested almost all of my files
with HD audio types, ffdshow displayed from 300 kbps to 1500 kbps (mainly it concerns not True-HD, but DTS-HD).
What is DTS core ? Is core only the part of DTS-HD or True-HD also has core ?

P.S. My htpc configuration:
a) hardware: videocard Asus GTS 450 (can output HD audio by bitstream), Windows 7 32 bit, receiver Onkyo 508 (supports all HD formats);
b) software: MPC-HC (player), ffdshow (codecs) (for audio) and coreavc (for video for "CUDA nvidia"), haali media splitter.

P.P.S. When I tested HD files, which Rica referenced on ("dtshd_out" (m2ts and mkv) and "thd_out" (m2ts and mkv)), ffdshow displayed this:
"Input: Dolby TrueHD, 7.1, 96000 Hz, 1536 kbps (bitstream)", "Output: HDMI bitstream (1403)" - file "DTSHD_out" (m2ts and mkv)
and "Input: Dolby TrueHD, 5.1, 48000 Hz, 5220 kbps (bitstream)", "Output: HDMI bitstream (1402)" (m2ts and mkv) - file "THD_out".
Bmwx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 22:19   #2091  |  Link
SamuriHL

Don't worry about the display. It's a bug. If you're bitstreaming, you're getting the full HD audio experience at whatever the bitrate actually is.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:37   #2092  |  Link
ontherocks

Quote:
I haven't seen ANY player that is able to bitstream DD+ on an AMD card, regardless of what the driver claims to support. IMO, it lies. You're absolutely positive you're getting DD+ with SPP?
Quote:
Just installed the trial of SP Pro, and no workie. TrueHD yes, DD+ no. From m2ts from the Dolby demo bluray. 5770 with both Realtek 2.55 and the one that comes with Cat 11.3
Yes it indeed does bitstream DD+. The display shows DD+ in my Onkyo HT-R380.
Try with the demo trailers from here http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php
Download the following from the above website and test it with Splash Player Pro.

Dolby Digital Plus (Lossless) [Filename --> hd_dolby_digital_plus_lossless.m2ts]
Dolby Digital Plus Channel Check (Lossless) [Filename --> hd_dolby_digital_plus_channel_check_lossless.m2ts]

Don't forget to set the following in Splash Player Pro as in the image below

Its indeed a crappy player, I don't use it myself. But surprisingly its the only player I have come across that can bitsteram DD+.
ontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:12   #2093  |  Link
SamuriHL

Weird. I'll have to check that out.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:12   #2094  |  Link
SamuriHL

So it seems that the AMD hardware can, in fact, bit stream eac3. Nevcairiel does it now in lav audio. Looks like it's been a bug in ffdshow as to why it wasn't working for us.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Old 5th May 2011, 10:16   #2095  |  Link
joeydrunk

Dude are you crazy, vudu looks absolutely amazing. It looks nearly identical to bluray on hdx with good bandwith. By the way thanx for the help with lav splitter. I still havnt been able to integrate mpchc in xbmc so I'm using a build with dsplayer/ffdshow to bitsream for the time being.
Quote:
That's pretty screwy. I don't watch a lot of content on instant watch. Mostly I'm watching tv shows and stuff. For movies, I get the blu-ray cause clearly I'm all about the quality. Vudu isn't bad. I just checked them out recently. I rented Machete 1080p before I ended up buying it on BD. The quality, for streaming, was acceptable.
joeydrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 13:43   #2096  |  Link
SamuriHL

For a streaming service, VUDU is by far the best of the bunch, but, it's nowhere near as good as blu-ray itself. You should try using LAV Audio for bitstreaming and see how that works for you. ffdshow still has a bug where EAC3 can't be bitstreamed.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:36   #2097  |  Link
Andy o

TrueHD 7.1 decoding is apparently broken. The rear surrounds and side surrounds are swapped. Doesn't happen with LAV audio or the Arcsoft decoder. Samples:

File name: THD 7.1.mka File size: 37.97 MB

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20333665
Old 6th June 2011, 23:31   #2098  |  Link
osupike99

Clicking when playing DTS-HD

Does anyone have issues playing some MKV rips with DTS-HD soundtrack where there is a clicking sound coming from the speakers while DTS Core track is perfectly fine? I am using the latest FFDShow.

Alex
osupike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 23:33   #2099  |  Link
SamuriHL

I didn't have that issue when I was using ffdshow for bitstreaming, no. What receiver is it? And is it only happening in MKV rips? The splitter you're using?
Old 6th June 2011, 23:47   #2100  |  Link
osupike99

Quote:
I didn't have that issue when I was using ffdshow for bitstreaming, no. What receiver is it? And is it only happening in MKV rips? The splitter you're using?
I used Pioneer Elite VSX-94, Pioneer Elite Sc-37, Onkyo TX-NR3007 and currently Integra DHC-80.2 preamp. All of the mentioned devices had/have the issue. I am using DSPlayer branch of XBMC so I guess I am using Haali splitter? How can I check this? This only happens on MKV rips. Used DVDFab with audiocopy and MakeMKV and same result.

Alex
osupike99 is offline   Reply With Quote