Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th January 2003, 00:41   #1  |  Link
kingken27

burning problem

hi
i bought some dvd-r,s, brand is choice dvd-r 2speed
writer is pioneer a 05
burning with nero 5.5.9.14
tried burning at 1 and 2 speed
anyway ive been trying to burn movie only rips
there are no errors during the burning
when i play the movie on pc and standalone it will freeze at certain bits, it freezes at the same points when played on pc and stanalone
for example chapter 11 of the others
when it freezes on pc i get an error saying disc could be damaged when using power dvd
i suspect it could be disc compatability
any thoughts would be appreciated
thankyou
kingken27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2003, 01:12   #2  |  Link
atreides93

i've never heard of that brand before. (choice). can you try it on a Pioneer or Apple branded disc? just verify that your writer works before trying out generic media.
atreides93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2003, 03:35   #3  |  Link
gooki

sounds like poor media.

as atreides93 suggested go out and by a good brand name DVD-R disc.

alternatively if you know it's not a media issue, get a DVD-RW disc and test on that until you are sure you have your DVD authoring sorted.
gooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2003, 08:38   #4  |  Link
kingken27

i bought one of theses discs burned a movie and it worked fine
so i went bak and bought another 10 discs now it seems i must have been lucky with the first one
i have burned 10 verbatim 2 speed discs with no problems at all, this is why i think its the choice discs that are the problem
Old 17th January 2003, 10:37   #5  |  Link
GMH

I have found the Choice white topped 1x media to be more widely compatible across a combination of hardware than the 2x. Perhaps the 1x media has been refined a little more over time.

My discs were burnt on an A04, however - you may find the 05 behaves differently (I get on really well with the e-Proformance (sic) discs but a friend with the 05 gets coasters). My firmware and version of Nero is current, although the firmware in the recorder is what specifies the write strategy for the media - I know Pioneer recently rolled out firmware upgrades for the (A)04 and (A)05 drives to tackle compatibility issues with the new, higher speed media that is now more widely available.

You might like to check that you have the latest firmware for your recorder BUT I strongly advise you to look at some of the other forums on the net (like http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/index.php) because Pioneer have not certified - or have removed the certification - some of the more common high speed media due to inconsistent results. If this is an issue for you, you might like to consider a firmware version between what you've got now and the latest.

I think I should point out that part of the upgrade was regarding a reliability issue on the recorders themselves when using high speed media - even the (A)04 writing at 2x was affected due to thermal issues on the optics IIRC, so it's even more important on the 4x version in the 05 to make sure you're not going to damage your hardware in using higher speed media.

Details of this upgrade are laid out here (mainly for 03 and 04 users):

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/support....tegory=support
"Important Update
Pioneer calls upon consumers to implement a simple firmware update to prevent potential recorder/writer malfunction when inserting new DVD-R/RW High Speed Media. This upgrade concerns the DVR-7000, DVR-A04 and the DVR-A03."

... and the actual downloads for all these models is available from here:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/support_...are#fdvdwriter

Good luck !
GMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2003, 16:38   #6  |  Link
kingken27

thanks for taking the time to reply to my query
anyway ive went back and burned with verbatim again and works perfect so its the discs