Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 3rd January 2002, 03:28   #1  |  Link
rookworm3

Two Questions

Ok -- one dumb and one (hopefully) not so dumb:

1- What settings sould one use for B&W movies (presumably, the normal ones are pretty redundant in this case considering they allow for the possibility of color)?

2- I may be missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to preform two- pass encoding on a specific segment rather than the whole clip (i.e. I select a portion of the film to encode; press F8 and it starts encoding from the beginning -- works fine when I use "save avi"). What am I doing wrong?
rookworm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2002, 14:42   #2  |  Link
rmatei
newbie extraordinaire

1) Wrong thinking; DVDs and divx are both YUV compression formats. B&W would be redundant for RGB but due to the way YUV stores color it's not. I won't go into details but you can look for an explanation of YUV formats if you want to understand why.

2) Nandub has a problem with selecting range inside it for the first pass. As you said, it always does the whole source. To get around this you habe to create a separate d2v file with the portion you want, or if you're using Avisynth you can clip the portion you want in the script.
Old 3rd January 2002, 20:03   #3  |  Link
LotionBoy

you can also just select what you don't want, delete those frames and do a first pass/2nd pass on what is left.

LotionBoy
LotionBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2002, 00:37   #4  |  Link
sibe

But keep in mind that if you do 1st/2nd pass only for a part of the movie the scene will look different than if you do the whole movie. To see what a scene will look like in a "real" encoding you have to do at least the first pass for the whole movie and then the second pass of your selected scene only.

Sibe
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote