Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 31st March 2005, 22:32   #1  |  Link
Luminaria

h.264 content playback: nero vs. ffdshow

Recently I've gotten some h264 encoded material and noticed that playback is much more ram and cpu taxing then say, divx or xvid. I didnt know it at the time, but Nero 6.x, even if you just install the burning suite, comes with an h264 video decoder that you can use in any directshow player like wmp, mpc, etc. I'd like to keep my system as conflict-free as possible so I'm a little hesatent to install ffdshow as it caused me some real codec headaches in the past (though, that was several years ago).

Is there a big difference in decoding requirements between Nero's filter and libavcodec? My system is fairly new. 3ghz p4 HT w\ 1gig ddr-400. I do a fair amount of multi-tasking in the background as well.

Opinions apreciated.
Luminaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2005, 09:25   #2  |  Link
Selur

I would stick with nero for decoding, though installing ffdshow shouldn't hurt. (one could disable the h264 support)
Selur is offline   Reply With Quote