Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th January 2013, 20:23   #16861  |  Link
dansrfe

madshi, I know that you're on leave from madVR but this issue of not being able to drag to the second screen without MPC-HC immediately crashing is making me sad If you need any files from the crash then please let me know and I'll post all of them.

Thanks
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 20:30   #16862  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
madshi, I know that you're on leave from madVR but this issue of not being able to drag to the second screen without MPC-HC immediately crashing is making me sad If you need any files from the crash then please let me know and I'll post all of them.
Works fine for me.

Edit:
Are you using native DXVA and moving from one screen on a GPU that supports that file in DXVA to another screen which doesn't by any chance?

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th January 2013 at 21:43.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 05:55   #16863  |  Link
dansrfe

I'm using the same GPU with both screens and DXVA2 Native.
Old 13th January 2013, 13:19   #16864  |  Link
kthxbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I'm using the same GPU with both screens and DXVA2 Native.
Me too. Radeon HD7950. It worked fine before, but the last update seems to have problems.

Last edited by kthxbye; 13th January 2013 at 13:28.
kthxbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 13:44   #16865  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Please remind, do I need to set Catalyst video to 16-235 for DXVA2 de-interlacing no matter I use 0-255 for output? Does it affect DXVA decoding or anything else somehow?

Is it known problem that madVR can't get the EDID from TV after TV turn off/turn on? I can get the picture but "device" is greyed in madVR's properties and any adjustments are not possible untill the whole PC reboot.

Is it known problem that saturation adjustment produces kinda banding? If not I'll try to provide some pics and samples.

Last edited by Qaq; 14th January 2013 at 06:18.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 14:36   #16866  |  Link
Superb

Can confirm the crash w/ DXVA2 native and moving the MPC-HC window to another monitor. Latest drivers. Trunk MPC-HC. Latest madVR. Latest official LAV. Single GPU (GT430) for both monitors. One is connected via DVI while the other one (TV) connected via HDMI in "Extend" [desktop] mode. Both are 1080p. Computer monitor is 60Hz. TV is 23.976.
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 14:48   #16867  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Could you guys with multi-monitor DXVA2 problems please test different madVR versions, different media players or media player versions and maybe even different decoders or decoder versions? This used to work before, didn't it? We need to find out where the problem is coming from (madVR update, media player update, decoder update). Since the crash doesn't seem to occur inside of madVR, this will be hard to fix for me if I can't reproduce it and if we don't know under which exact circumstances the problem occurs. There's a chance it might not be madVR's fault, too.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 14:51   #16868  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

It crashes in LAV because some D3D things seem to go wrong which were not checked properly, and i fixed those checks, you can grab a fixed version here:
http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...1-gc82c1a0.zip

However, i was told that even with the crash resolved, it takes several seconds for playback to resume after a screen switch (which supposedly it didn't in previous versions). I can't reproduce, its fast for me (and it also didn't crash for me, i worked on a MPC-HC crash dump)
I suggest to follow madshis advice and test in which madVR version it started, or if any other external factors are involved.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 13th January 2013 at 14:54.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 19:33   #16869  |  Link
dansrfe

After dragging to the second screen LAV automatically switches from dxva2 native to avcodec software decoding.

madshi,

I've tried previous MPC-HC versions, previous LAV Filters, and madVR builds all the way back to the beginning of December. Still no luck. I wish I could pinpoint the exact software and update in which the problem started happening but I was away from my second monitor during the holidays visiting family.

I do remember getting a "Failed to created D3D device" error once in madVR during all LAV Filters version changes with madVR 0.85.7.

Last edited by dansrfe; 13th January 2013 at 19:37.
Old 13th January 2013, 19:43   #16870  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Now that it stopped crashing, you should probably provide a madVR log of the problem, and keep the logs simple. Delete old log, open file, move, stop, zip new log.
I can move it around just fine here, and decoding resumes pretty fast and still in DXVA. The log may tell madshi where it fails to deliver a D3D device.
Old 13th January 2013, 20:06   #16871  |  Link
dansrfe

Start clip, move MPC-HC to second screen, wait for video to start playing again, immediately close MPC-HC.

madVR log:http://www.sendspace.com/file/54c6u4
Old 13th January 2013, 21:16   #16872  |  Link
Libeluratio

Quote:
hey guys, just wondering if I will get frame drops no matter what I do unless i get reclock? I managed to get my display refresh to a 23.976xx something - madVR displays that, but still I get a 1 frame repeat every 12-13 minutes - or so the OSD shows. Unless I configured something in madVR badly? Cheers
In fact targetting a perfect 23.976024 isn't a good idea.
I managed once to get 23.97602 but still dropped frames... it's because that number in madvr isn't exact.

The most important is to watch the clock deviation (has to be as little as possible) and the "1 frame repeat/dropped every" (of course has to be as big as possible). For exemple with my two gt 430 cards and custom nvidia resolution (took me 15h testing, and pc needs to be rebooted after every change or it does not correctly applies...), playing lord of the ring return of the king (extended so 4+h playing) I manage to get 0 video or audio drop and with the first, madvr displays 23.97532 and the other 23.97737, so see, targetting a 23.97602 here is not the way to go.

Sorry for my english !
Libeluratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 00:33   #16873  |  Link
chuuey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libeluratio View Post
In fact targetting a perfect 23.976024 isn't a good idea.
I managed once to get 23.97602 but still dropped frames... it's because that number in madvr isn't exact.

The most important is to watch the clock deviation (has to be as little as possible) and the "1 frame repeat/dropped every" (of course has to be as big as possible). For exemple with my two gt 430 cards and custom nvidia resolution (took me 15h testing, and pc needs to be rebooted after every change or it does not correctly applies...), playing lord of the ring return of the king (extended so 4+h playing) I manage to get 0 video or audio drop and with the first, madvr displays 23.97532 and the other 23.97737, so see, targetting a 23.97602 here is not the way to go.

Sorry for my english !
Oh i see, ineteresting, I'll definetely do more testing, I though madVR displays an accurate refresh rate It's something around 23.976405 Thanks for the tip
chuuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 02:44   #16874  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
due to the clock deviation so your display will never exactly be 23.976.
There is only an indirect relationship between madVR's reported Refresh Rate and madVR's Clock Deviation calculation, so thinking in those terms will only cause confusion. madVR's refresh Rate calculation is accurate relative to other measurements from your computer, and that's all that matters for our purposes.

On the other hand, Clock Deviation has a direct relationship to your a/v Playback Rate which causes it to never be exactly 23.9760 FPS. Depending on your Clock Deviation, your actual Playback Rate would likely fall into the range of 23.9760 +/- 0.0005 FPS. Microsoft designed DirectShow in such a way that makes this skew completely invisible and transparent to the end-user. This can be confusing, since it results in all DirectShow playback FPS statistics being technically incorrect at face value.

If you match the Refresh Rate madVR reports to a multiple of your actual playback rate (calculated from Clock Deviation), you should never experience dropped frames assuming no madVR processing slowdowns or GPU driver glitches, but locking in such a high precision Refresh Rate is not always possible. See my post here for how to calculate optimal Refresh Rate from madVR's Clock Deviation statistic.

Reclock works from the opposite direction, by adjusting your a/v Playback Rate to match your Refresh Rate.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 14th January 2013 at 02:47.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 05:20   #16875  |  Link

23Hz is not 23.9670, it's 24/1.001 (which could be rounded to 23.9760, but madVR is using more precision than that)

Run ReClock, and your clock deviation will never be an issue. No dropped/duplicated frames or audio sync issues.
If you are running ReClock, I would also suggest targetting 24.0Hz. It's what films are natively shot at, and seems to have a much smaller deviation than 24/1.001 from a PC-based source.

23Hz is for legacy compatibility with NTSC. If you are running an HTPC source, you probably don't need that.

Unfortunately if you're running Windows 8, you can't get 24.0 with Nvidia now (and possibly AMD/Intel? I have no idea) as it seems to switch to 23Hz regardless.
It's unclear whether this is an Nvidia driver issue, Windows 8 issue, or compatibility issue with madVR and Windows 8.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 07:54   #16876  |  Link
jmone

I'm with 6233638 - use something like MC's "video clock", reclock etc and just pick a refresh rate close to the "real" one (eg 24, 25, 30, etc) and kick back - it will all be in sync. I can say from years of trying to chase tweaks to refresh rate on GPU to equal fps is a fools game.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 08:45   #16877  |  Link
MSL_DK

madshi> Are your own calibration solution still on your to do list?
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 09:31   #16878  |  Link
Vyral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
Hey people. For those who remember me, I made a graphic based on madVR algorithms to help make a range between the "Lowest" and "Highest" (previously "Ultra", heavy word). You can see it below.

Catmull-Rom AR & LL is better than Lanczos 4 AR for image downscaling ?
Old 14th January 2013, 09:41   #16879  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyral View Post
Catmull-Rom AR & LL is better than Lanczos 4 AR for image downscaling ?
Yes, it produces a more natural image.
Higher algorithms don't necessarily produce better results.
Old 14th January 2013, 10:55   #16880  |  Link
FlygeSoppen

Strange Problem

Hi

I have a strange problem I hope someone could help me with.

I have read through a large porsion of this thread and searched the internet for days,
but I have not found a solution for my problem yet.. Im about to go bananas!

Having installed MPC-HC + Madvr + Lav on different computers without problems.

One old gaming pc with Opteron cpu, a Geforce 620 card and WinXP, worked! but as expected a little choppy.

One Dell Precision M4300 Laptop With Quadro Card and WinXP, a little choppy in window mode but worked great in full screen.

I Did the same on my Home computer, Specs:
P5K Premium mainboard, QX6850 Quad core 3ghz(overclocked to 3.6ghz), 8gb RAM, Geforce 670 card, Xfi soundcard and WinXP.
It did not work out that well. I have tryed to follow different guides on the net without any success.

When all is installed and configured just like the other computers, all I get is about 1minute of hanging blackness
with choppy sound and then some laggy film afterwards.. Its the same in window and fullscreen.

Configurations on the my home computer is exactly the same as the others.
Windows is updated, I have tried different Nvidia drivers(i am now using 310.90)
Having tested all different settings within MadVr, LAV filters, MPC and Nvidia drivers,
All is the newest versions. Nothing helps! All of the Frameworks versions is allso updated..

This computer is completely stable, new games work great and all other codecs and filters work except MadVr.

Does anybody know what it could be?

Any help would be very mouch appreciated
FlygeSoppen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling