Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 19th February 2003, 08:30   #21  |  Link
HeeD

I did a backup of LEXX Season 2 Vol. 1. using both InstantCopy trial and DVD2One v1.0.1 It has four episodes plus a couple other videos (making of LEXX, short about divine shadow and Interview with Michael McManus.

I used 2COOL's method and wound up with what was essentially a full backup of the DVD with menus and extras etc. It took me over hour and a half of messing around because I was not sure what I was doing. After doing it once now, I probably could do all the encoding, renaming and IFOUpdate stuff in an hour with DVD2One. The first part before doing any encoding at all was figuring out how much to reduce each VOB by. I figured in my case that a multiplier of .55 worked. Following is how I determined this:

I took total DVD size 7.64GB and subtracted from it the total of VOBs that I planned on transcoding with DVD2One, which was 7.58GB. This leaves me with a result of 0.06GB of extras that I leave as static. To derive the multiplication factor which will be used to reduce VOBs to fit on a DVDR - it is simple formula of: (DVDR_dest_size - static)/(DVD_orig_size - static), in this case (4.3 - 0.06)/(7.64 - 0.06) = 0.559. A simple verification shows that 7.58*0.559 +.06 = just under 4.3GB. I decide to reduce the factor to 0.55 for some headroom. eg. one of the VOBs was 1.70GB, therefore 1.70GB x 0.55 = 0.935GB, or 957.5 MB (0.935x1024). I round down so I entered 957MB in DVD2One for that particular VOB. As you are doing each VOB check how many MB it actually results in - it may be a meg or two larger so reduce the next VOB target size a little bit to compensate. I ended up with entire dir as 4.26GB after I was done.

InstantCopy was much easier - just let it do its work for a few hours.

Which one produced better results?

InstantCopy did! The DVD2One version had way too much artifacting. Even though the InstantCopy version also had lots of artifacting, it was different and not as irritating to watch. InstantCopy did not require any prep work, calculating VOB sizes or interacting with it in any way during its process. With DVD2One I had to do lots of calculating and basically be there with it renaming VOBs and transcoding.

Both programs show promise and I look forward to the retail version of InstantCopy that I ordered and also when DVD2One can backup an entire DVD automatically. I think they should work on an option to make the quality better first though - even if it takes longer to transcode.
HeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 16:51   #22  |  Link
rishardc

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
rishardc,

I went over your guide more than once. Now correct me if I'm wrong but your method is combining all your episode VOBs and numbering them orderly as one titleset. You then create new IFOs and you got one big movie ONLY with all the episodes playing back to back. No menu keeping or extras.

In my way, I use DVD2one to transcode all 5 of my episodes SEPARATELY so that I can put them back in their original spot with IFOupdate fixing the original IFOs chapters points. This way, I get to keep EVERYTHING! Just like the original DVD.

Just got back from work. A little tired but still hangin'.

It keeps the original chapter points and it does play them back to back, but it looses the menu's and such.
rishardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 10:13   #23  |  Link
atreides93

I wrote an excel spreadsheet which should make it real easy to calculate the sizes.
anyone want it???
atreides93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 17:14   #24  |  Link
tyee

Yes atreides93 please post the spreadsheet

tyee
tyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 19:03   #25  |  Link
atreides93

here it is!
Old 20th February 2003, 22:47   #26  |  Link
repdetect2

Spreadsheet and Single Strand

Hey, can you repost it? I didn't come through.
Also, any ideas on the single strand with DVD2one?
repdetect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2003, 23:44   #27  |  Link
atreides93

2cool did some nice mods/improvements to the spreadsheet making it look nice.
i'm not sure how to upload files on here.
i attached it but it didn't show up

I think i figured it out. someone has to approve it. i'll ask the mod for this forum.

Old 20th February 2003, 23:56   #28  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Quote:
Originally posted by atreides93
I think i figured it out. someone has to approve it. i'll ask the mod for this forum.
Did you know that all this time, there's this poor guy waiting for months for a moderator in DVD burning forum to approve his file in his post? He's probably still there lost in the archives.

atreides93, I didn't know if you preferred a green or red theme on your spreadsheet. Decided to go for green as it's easier on the eyes.
Old 21st February 2003, 00:42   #29  |  Link
repdetect2

Spreadsheet

Could you mail me the spreadsheet at repdetect2@hotmail.com?
repdetect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2003, 20:23   #30  |  Link
HeeD

2COOL, nice work!

Can you verify what mode should be used IFOUpdate?
Someone in a similar discussion said it should be "Adjusted Cell Mode". The default for it is "Standard".
HeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2003, 22:07   #31  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by HeeD
2COOL, nice work!

Can you verify what mode should be used IFOUpdate?
Someone in a similar discussion said it should be "Adjusted Cell Mode". The default for it is "Standard".
To tell you the truth, I assumed it was set for Cell Mode but after I already burnt the DVD, I saw it set at Standard. I don't recall ever encountering a non strand DVD with multi-PGCs.
Old 22nd February 2003, 02:16   #32  |  Link
mrbass

FYI ..this is really minor...I use openoffice 1.0.2. The first calc works fine but the modified one just shows up blank. Just thought I'd save others the trouble of finding that out for themselves.
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2003, 04:41   #33  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by mrbass
FYI ..this is really minor...I use openoffice 1.0.2. The first calc works fine but the modified one just shows up blank. Just thought I'd save others the trouble of finding that out for themselves.
The modified one was done and saved in Excel XP so earlier versions of Excel can't play it. Sorry, I wasn't thinking about it at the time. Will work on saving it in a more compatible excel format and posting it again. I also mentioned this in my guide.

Last edited by 2COOL; 22nd February 2003 at 14:25.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2003, 04:48   #34  |  Link
2COOL

Here's the updated resize calculator save in Excel 97 to 2002 format. There was one field that was corrected of not containing a formula. If you don't see it, a moderator in this forum needs to approve of it before uploading.
Old 22nd February 2003, 05:58   #35  |  Link
vljenewein

Don't see it..
vern at jenefarm@direcway.com

Thanks!

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"
vljenewein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2003, 21:35   #36  |  Link
2COOL

Excel resize calculator has been corrected and also saved as a 97-2002 file for compability with older Excel versions. Download link in my guide on first page has been updated.
Old 22nd February 2003, 22:37   #37  |  Link
vljenewein

Thanks Max!
You're true blue.. and cool.. delivering a tool.

Many thanks, from an ol' fool.

I like how you did the set up. You really do need commending on taking the time to do this up and then to post it for anyone!

again...THANKS!

Vern

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"
vljenewein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2003, 22:49   #38  |  Link
2COOL

Thanks but most of the credit goes to atreides93. I would've made my own but he beat me to the punch.
Old 26th February 2003, 00:33   #39  |  Link
cmc

2COOL,

I believe you mentioned you were running win98se under the FAT32. Is this the same proc. to do a DVD-9 if not can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
P3, win98se, 512ram,ext 60 HD (maxtor), ext.Sony 500ul.
cmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2003, 00:39   #40  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by cmc
2COOL,

I believe you mentioned you were running win98se under the FAT32. Is this the same proc. to do a DVD-9 if not can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
P3, win98se, 512ram,ext 60 HD (maxtor), ext.Sony 500ul.
cmc,

Just recently, I have upgraded to WinXP with SP1. It was about time I did a full format of my harddrive and install everything back from scratch to clean out any bad glitches or deinstallation residue. I really should be doing this annually.

But the answer to your first question, is yes. There's nothing in my guide that calls for you to have files over 4GB. And your second question, you are facing the right direction.