Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 30th July 2012, 19:53   #1561  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

New version released 0.38 beta

Version 0.38 beta is out with the following changes:
* A fix for audio sync issues in broken streams.
* Bugfixes for broken Win8 drivers
* Better handling of incomplete sequence headers.
* Able to recover after multiple initializations. New stream must be from the same codec as the old stream. Calling InitDecoder or SetConfig will reset the decoder.
* FFDShow: Added fine grain multithreading support
* FFDShow: r4477

Note to Window 7/8 users with drivers 15.28.xx.xx:
Do not enable full multithreading support in FFDshow or player will abort playback at some point in many clips.

Downloads
* For the latest cutting edge FFDShow builds download my builds Intel QuickSync Decoder SourceForge home page
* FFDShow-tryout site
* LAV Splitter builds
Intel Corp.
egur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:45   #1562  |  Link
NikosD

Windows 8 reached final build RTM (Release To Manufacturing) yesterday and will be available on August 15th via MSDN and Technet.

The final build is 9200 (9200.16384.win8_rtm.120725-1247)

On October 26th will be available for retail customers and pre-loaded systems with Win 8.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:08   #1563  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
Windows 8 reached final build RTM (Release To Manufacturing) yesterday and will be available on August 15th via MSDN and Technet.

The final build is 9200 (9200.16384.win8_rtm.120725-1247)

On October 26th will be available for retail customers and pre-loaded systems with Win 8.
Great. I'll wait a few months before even considering using it at home.
Intel Corp.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:29   #1564  |  Link
NikosD

Judging by Metro UI, I would say to not consider it at all using Win 8 at home on a computer.

Metro UI was built for tablets and touch screens and probably I would skip that version of Windows completely, if "classic" Windows Explorer didn't exist at all.

On the other hand, we are more or less at the enthusiast community so I will definitely install Win 8 - as second system - no matter what, as soon as I get a copy in my hands - I have already seen Win 8 preview release on my older second system.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 08:06   #1565  |  Link
Esperado

Quicksync not chosen on H264 tv

It works ok with Lav Filter, but, when i try to use FFDSHOW, despite i have chosen intel QuickSync, FFdshow says it uses Libavcodeck on H264 (TNT HD).
FFDSHOW says it uses Intel on non hd channels (mpeg2), so i believe install is correct.
I had tried both 64 bits and 32bit version as i use DVBViewer which is in 32 bits to watch TNT TV.
What the hell ?

(My config: Seven 64 bits with a Sandy bridge GT2 i5-2500K @ 4.6Ghz (HD graphics 3000) on a Z68 chipset and 4GB of ram)

Last edited by Esperado; 6th August 2012 at 08:16.
Esperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 19:57   #1566  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

What's the driver version? Splitter version?
Intel Corp.
Old 6th August 2012, 20:50   #1567  |  Link
Esperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur
What's the driver version? Splitter version?
FFdshow and Lav : Last ones. Downloaded yersterday.
Intel Driver : 8.15.10.2696

Not a big problem, as LAV works perfectly and i can use FFDSHOW raw for some additional post processing. it is just to let you know and to try to understand what happens as well.

Last edited by Esperado; 6th August 2012 at 20:56.
Old 7th August 2012, 08:42   #1568  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Unfortunately, I can't test live TV streams since I don't have such a source available.
You can try installing a newer driver (from the 15.26 family) although this driver worked fine as far as I remember.
Can you play H264 files?
If LAV works with QS decoder and ffdshow doesn't, it means that some checks within ffdshow fail.
Intel Corp.
Old 7th August 2012, 13:05   #1569  |  Link
Esperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur View Post
Unfortunately, I can't test live TV streams since I don't have such a source available.
You can try installing a newer driver (from the 15.26 family) although this driver worked fine as far as I remember.
The last one i found at Intel download center is win7_64-152612 Version is 8.15.10.2761
Despite Windows said i had the latest ;-(
Same behavior.
Quote:
Can you play H264 files?
Yes, you're right: ffdshow says "Intel @Quicksync" with recorded files from TNT. Strange.
Quote:
If LAV works with QS decoder and ffdshow doesn't, it means that some checks within ffdshow fail.
Unintelligent connect from Directshow ?

BTW, do-you have contact with this guy ? : http://doom10.org/index.php?topic=717.0

Last edited by Esperado; 7th August 2012 at 13:08.
Old 7th August 2012, 13:24   #1570  |  Link
Esperado

Also, i experience some freezes after long playings of tv streams with Quicksync. Closing application then reload, changing channel or rebuild graph and it is good for an other run. No such a problem with software decoders.
Old 7th August 2012, 14:26   #1571  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

FFDShow may recieve an incompatible fourcc or something of the sort. I don't know and can't test this.

I don't know the guy in the post. Intel 100K employees...
Intel Corp.
Old 7th August 2012, 16:30   #1572  |  Link
Esperado

Quote:
I don't know and can't test this.
How can-i help ?
Old 22nd August 2012, 04:55   #1573  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

does the intelquicksync hardware accelerarion only work when having an i5 (or similar cpu) AND the intel HD graphic card both running at the same time?

in case of the avatar 60p demo, I get almost 400fps with the intel decoder, compared to only 120 with coreavc. but since I use madvr, the intel card with only 25gb/s bandwith seems to be rather weak here and I get dropped frames if I priorize it over the Radeon mobility 7670, no matter which decoder of coreavc, lav video or ffdshow I use in both cases. it seems like the huge decoding advantage gets lots by the intel HD 4000 graphics cards bad performance with madvr.

or am I doing something wrong?
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:37   #1574  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
How can-i help ?
Sorry for the late response, I was on vacation w/o internet.
You'll need a VS2010 and able to build ffdshow.
Another option is for me to provide a debug build that pops a lot of message boxes showing the status. Let me know which option is preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
does the intelquicksync hardware accelerarion only work when having an i5 (or similar cpu) AND the intel HD graphic card both running at the same time?

in case of the avatar 60p demo, I get almost 400fps with the intel decoder, compared to only 120 with coreavc. but since I use madvr, the intel card with only 25gb/s bandwith seems to be rather weak here and I get dropped frames if I priorize it over the Radeon mobility 7670, no matter which decoder of coreavc, lav video or ffdshow I use in both cases. it seems like the huge decoding advantage gets lots by the intel HD 4000 graphics cards bad performance with madvr.

or am I doing something wrong?
Unfortunately, the decoder will work only if the iGPU is active - connected to a screen. A Direct3D9 limitation.
There's an option to trick D3D9 by extending the desktop to a disconnected display. See here.
Intel Corp.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:49   #1575  |  Link
Esperado

Quote:
Another option is for me to provide a debug build that pops a lot of message boxes showing the status. Let me know which option is preferred.
As i do not develop under Visual Studio since decade, this second solution seems more reasonable on my side. But blind and time consuming on your side ?
Old 7th September 2012, 03:15   #1576  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

is there a way to utilize quicksync decoding function with MeGUI or avisynth like DGDecNV can use Nvidia GPU's

i'm looking for any feedback, or theory's. is this something that can be done, or will it be like AMD (radeon) where the decode information can't be gained easily

i know that GPU can help in some respects, yet i would of thought it would be even better than Nvidia GPU decoding as intel in on chip (no motherboard travelling kind of thing with information bottling the express lanes)

can i use the FFDShow to assist MeGUI (offloading H264 decoding to GPU) so MeGUI x264 wil be faster.... even 15% gain in speed would be great.

if not..... will this or could this be possible, or will quicksync be like AMD (radeon) system where the decoding information can't be got at for make use outside of directx (avisynth needs to be the one to have the info)
Pulp Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 10:46   #1577  |  Link
easyfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Catalyst View Post
is there a way to utilize quicksync decoding function with MeGUI or avisynth like DGDecNV can use Nvidia GPU's

i'm looking for any feedback, or theory's. is this something that can be done, or will it be like AMD (radeon) where the decode information can't be gained easily

i know that GPU can help in some respects, yet i would of thought it would be even better than Nvidia GPU decoding as intel in on chip (no motherboard travelling kind of thing with information bottling the express lanes)

can i use the FFDShow to assist MeGUI (offloading H264 decoding to GPU) so MeGUI x264 wil be faster.... even 15% gain in speed would be great.

if not..... will this or could this be possible, or will quicksync be like AMD (radeon) system where the decoding information can't be got at for make use outside of directx (avisynth needs to be the one to have the info)
Perhaps, you can try to create a .grf file (see here http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Importing_media ) with ffdshow/lavfilter quicksync decoder and load it in avisynth with DirectShowSource().
easyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 11:01   #1578  |  Link
egur
QuickSync Decoder author

ffdshow/lavfilters can be used with QuickSync as long as a display is connected to the Intel GPU in some manner.
The performance gains are not as trivial as standard decoding because all HW decoders output NV12 and avisynth wants either YUY2 or YV12. The latter is preferred as the conversion is lossless and very fast. Video renderers on the other hands like to get NV12 so no conversion is needed.

As far as complex/smart transcoding flows where meta data from the decoder is used (e.g. motion vectors or quantization parameters), I'm afraid we're out of luck. The driver doesn't expose those which is a shame since this information is useful for denoising/deblocking as well.
Intel Corp.
Old 7th September 2012, 14:26   #1579  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

i see, so partially closed than like AMD, nvidia seems to be the only one that has really opened this area up, it'a an awful shame that so many developers still don't take into account that Avisynth is where the power is (so much can be done with Avisynth), here's hoping that programs like DGDecNV can be created for intel quick-sync.... although it's worrying about the NV12 needing conversion...... Nvidia GPU architecture doesn't have this issue though... why? it's still a GPU (VP decoding chip)
Pulp Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 15:14   #1580  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

NVIDIA also outputs NV12 from its GPU decoder.

Tags
ffdshow, h264, intel, mpeg2, quicksync, vc1, zoom player