Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 20th February 2004, 10:13   #1  |  Link
t1955feb

Elby Clone dvd 2

New version of clone dvd download link http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_dvd/index.html
Old 21st February 2004, 00:24   #2  |  Link
KungFuCow

Crashes almost instantly for me when ripping from a virtual drive. Dont have any real DVDs handy to try from.

KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2004, 01:00   #3  |  Link
mrbass

Nice improvements for sure. It's the only commercial dvd backup program that I'm aware of that doesn't work with dvd43 (on-the-fly decryption). So one must use dvddecrypter or pony up $ for anydvd.
Old 21st February 2004, 11:47   #4  |  Link
DVDRFreak

I did some testing with this new version.

Must say it is realy much better then the CloneDVD 1.xx versions I did try. Did run it on GON a 2 hours and 40 minute movie and NARC of course.

Took 17 minutes to do the complete GON DVD and the quality was as good imho as Recode or Shrink. Need to do some more testing but if this is right then I must say they did do an excelent job. Same quality half the time.

Will do some more testing. See how stripping out stuff works.

I did not experience the crashes described by the other users. Ripped the DVD to HD with DVDdecryptor and mounted it with Daemon tools 3.44.
DVDRFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2004, 14:39   #5  |  Link
valnar

I'm curious as to the quality compared to InstantCopy.

Anyone test that with a close to 8GB movie?

-Robert
valnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2004, 22:13   #6  |  Link
DVDRFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by valnar
I'm curious as to the quality compared to InstantCopy.

Anyone test that with a close to 8GB movie?

-Robert
GON movie only is 6.1 GB. (I demuxed and reauthored it so I only have the movie with one soundtrak for testing). Quality wise it is the imho comaprable to Recode or DVDShrink. Maybe a little better on some scenes but also worse on other.

Rejig is the only transcoder that gave me almost perfect quality on this movie (old engine). It is however not so far that it can do a one click backup with menu's.

I did not compare it to instantcopy because I do not use it. I have problems with instantcopy encoded movies and fastforward on my home player and in Powerdvd.
DVDRFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2004, 05:04   #7  |  Link
DMagic1

Looks good, Im glad they got the quality bar fixed.

One thing about CloneDVD I liked was that like DVD95Copy it removes extras without still images or colors. You would never know anything was ever there, unlike Recode and Shrink. Clone does a lot better at removing extras than DVD95Copy since it can remove parts of a title set like Shrink does. DVD95Copy will only remove the whole title set.
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2004, 12:22   #8  |  Link
tf

Well there is always DVDStripper (free) that does it better anyway :-)

-tf
Old 24th February 2004, 20:35   #9  |  Link
windtrader

tf - I tried to get dvdstripper to work and it kept crapping out and I could not get a single thing out of it. Is there something I am missing to get it going properly?
windtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2004, 20:36   #10  |  Link
tf

Just config it to the paths it wants and as soon as everything is in order, you can press the "Rip using dvddecrypter" button. From there it's pretty easy.

-tf
Old 24th February 2004, 21:11   #11  |  Link
windtrader

Well. I got motivated again based on your post. Downloaded latest again just to make sure. Setup the directories on a HD with plenty of space. Hit start to start processing a Daemon nmounted ISO. Crunched along until the ripping was done, then it pops a window that says "Run-time error '6': Overflow. then dies.
Old 25th February 2004, 00:00   #12  |  Link
tf

Try with a proper dvd - perhaps it has problems with daemontools.

It has worked 100% with real dvds here, have backed up about 25 movies with it so far.

-tf
Old 25th February 2004, 03:10   #13  |  Link
LakersFan

I haven't had much luck with Disney movies using DVD stripper. In fact I just backed up "Eloise" for my daughter and ended up giving up with DVDStripper and just used the evaluation version of CloneDVD2. It removed all the extras I asked it to and it worked perfectly. Oh and the picture was just fine for a 6yr old!

IMHO DVDstripper is for simple removal of extras, etc. It stinks on complex titles. And the fact that you can't use it to remove subtitles or certain audio drives me nuts!!!

-LF
LakersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 03:34   #14  |  Link
DMagic1

Quote:
Originally posted by tf
Well there is always DVDStripper (free) that does it better anyway :-)

-tf
We are talking about a transcoder, not a just a stripper. Lets stay on topic.
Old 25th February 2004, 04:38   #15  |  Link
LakersFan

You're right. I apologize.

Sticking to the topic...
for a transcoder/stripper, I liked CloneDVD2 a lot. Output is just as good as Shrink, plus it effectively strips audio, subtitles, and unwanted extras.

The downside? You'll have to cough up some cash.

-LF
LakersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 04:48   #16  |  Link
ddlooping
Classified

Quote:
The downside? You'll have to cough up some cash.
Hence the proposed option to use TitleSetBlanker or DVDStripper in conjunction with DVD Shrink.
ddlooping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2004, 07:03   #17  |  Link
windtrader

Quote:
IMHO DVDstripper is for simple removal of extras, etc. It stinks on complex titles.
If this is true, what's the point. The reason I was drawn to test it is I have a few title now and then that I would like to keep all the menu structure, compress the extras, place a dummy vob for the main title. Take the main title out and re-encode it using something like DVD2DVD then slip it back in and have it all play like new. That sounds more in the complex than simple situations.

I am testing it now. Unfortunately it fails to work on an DVDDecrypter created ISO that is mounted to Daemon, so I need to run it with the original disc. No big deal, just less convenient.
Old 26th February 2004, 03:26   #18  |  Link
ron spencer
DVD Magistrate

I had major issues with DVDStripper as well on complex movies...never worked with Disney Movies as all...

Works with simpler ones like runaway jury

Recode works well...replace stuff with images.
ron spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 03:52   #19  |  Link
opsis81

CloneDVD2 can be used also as a DVD stripper only.There's a new option that allows you to choose the output filesize.I always choose 9999 MB,I combine it with AnyDVD and I'm ripping directly with it.In some minutes I have my stripped DVD to my harddisk ready to be transcoded.DVDStripper is a very good software,but it needs much more time and a very huge harddisk.The only problem I see it's that AnyDVD and cloneDVD are commercial software,but if you already own them there's no problem.
opsis81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 05:05   #20  |  Link
DMagic1

Quote:
Originally posted by opsis81
CloneDVD2 can be used also as a DVD stripper only.There's a new option that allows you to choose the output filesize.I always choose 9999 MB,I combine it with AnyDVD and I'm ripping directly with it.In some minutes I have my stripped DVD to my harddisk ready to be transcoded.
Almost forgot that great new feature. I've gone from not really liking CloneDVD when it first came out, to beginning to lean more to it for all my transcoding needs.