Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th August 2013, 13:45   #19981  |  Link
Soukyuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
And probably The Dark Knight Rises is good for test, because it has some scenes with bars and some without. But this is probably quite obvious to check ;p
I remember how annoying that was...

All the monogatari series (bake/nise/neko/2nd season) have frequent layout changes as well, similar to dark knight. TV rips might be a good option since there will be a logo (partially) on the black bars as well
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 14:43   #19982  |  Link
ThurstonX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
I remember how annoying that was...

All the monogatari series (bake/nise/neko/2nd season) have frequent layout changes as well, similar to dark knight. TV rips might be a good option since there will be a logo (partially) on the black bars as well
That's a good idea. I've got a ton of US Cable TV recordings in Windows Media Center. I know IFC-HD is copy-free, and they plaster their logo in the bottom right. Not sure about black bars, but I'll have a look. TCM-HD is also a good candidate.

Be patient, madshi
ThurstonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 15:02   #19983  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Hi madshi, I was wondering if you could please be of any assistance regarding my problems with a GTX660 on XPSP3

Randomly, I don't get any picture at all when I open a new movie....sometimes I can seek a few times and I'll finally get a picture after 10/15 secs, sometimes some movies stutter badly....strangely many movies work just fine and sometimes even those that used to not give any picture before play perfectly fine right from the start ???

I've reset everything(mVR/Reclock/LAV/PotP) to no available and all movies play fine with EVR. They behave in the same erratic way with mVR+MPCHC.

Using the old or new rendering path doesn't change anything.

I realize that XP is a caveman OS but you can read everywhere that it's still fueling ±50% of the computers in the world and personally it does all I want as I don't care for SSD's, videogames, fancy GUI's and all that stuff..

I've made some logs available at mega.co.nz with the kinda desperate hope that you would have some of your precious time to spare me

Thank you in advance for any insight! And I guess this is the alarm bell that I should install W8.1..

Last edited by leeperry; 30th August 2013 at 15:04.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 19:20   #19984  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I realize that XP is a caveman OS but you can read everywhere that it's still fueling ±50% of the computers in the world and personally it does all I want as I don't care for SSD's, videogames, fancy GUI's and all that stuff..
It's 12 years old at this point, and most people that are still running XP, are using it because they still have old hardware. Trying to use it with modern hardware is just asking for problems.

Quote:
I guess this is the alarm bell that I should install W8.1..
Install Windows 8 now and wait for the final version of 8.1 to be released.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 19:30   #19985  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

yay, I found a trick to get the darn thing working: when a movie starts without any picture, I open the "preferences" config panel of PotP, I close it et voilà picture is back! J3AR full upscale + FRC really do look amazing

here's a log(I made it as short as possible: it opened without any picture, I pressed F5 to open PotP's config panel then ESC to close it then ALT+F4), I guess that might have to do with D3D initilialization or something? The difference is dead obvious in the log, hope you can fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
It's 12 years old at this point, and most people that are still running XP, are using it because they still have old hardware. Trying to use it with modern hardware is just asking for problems. My firewall passes all the leak tests.

Install Windows 8 now and wait for the final version of 8.1 to be released.
Well I use orthodynamic headphones that were made in the early 70's, it's only very recently that I finally dropped CRT's.....I'm from team "proven to work" but I do realize that you are entirely right. Also, with the recent PRISM stuff, I'm scared of all the spying stuff I will have to learn about and try to disable in W8. Gonna have to go back to the blackboard and reinvent the (security) wheel basically as my fav firewall is XP-only of course.....when OTOH my XP box does everything I need and my firewall passes all the leak tests(all non-vital background services are disabled as well).

Last edited by leeperry; 30th August 2013 at 20:16.
Old 30th August 2013, 20:02   #19986  |  Link
e-t172

Wait… you're sticking with XP for security reasons? Seriously? You realize XP is significantly less secure than Vista/7 (e.g. no UAC) - and most importantly, Microsoft is dropping support for XP (i.e. no security updates) in the near future?
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 00:11   #19987  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Oh wait, mVR is completely unable to detect the refresh rate when I check its OSD(someone else mentioned the same problem a while ago on XP as well)....it keeps oscillating betweeen 0Hz, then 50, 53, 56 and so on....it reads as dead-on 60.000Hz in Reclock(and in mVR as well using my old 8800GS). Will look into taking the W7SP1 plunge anytime soon as I presume that madshi has better things to do with his time.

Last edited by leeperry; 31st August 2013 at 01:40.
Old 31st August 2013, 00:49   #19988  |  Link
soulkeeper

concerning luma expansion and proper brightness/contrast calibration..
when using madvr with proper settings

1)lav video decoder yuv->rgb :untouched (as input)
2) madvr pc levels (0-255)
3)CCC everything disabled except pulldown
4)software mode (no dxva)
5)pixel format :rgb full in CCC
6)ati 7770 hdmi->hdmi benq w1070pj

is it normal that i don't get the BTB(0-16) and WTW(235-255) information using calibration discs because of the luma expansion done by madvr (16-235 -> 0-255)?

PS toggling between RGB full and limited doesn't seem to affect my brightness/contrast levels(either in desktop or within mpc)...i don't think this is normal,ehh?

Thanks!

Last edited by soulkeeper; 31st August 2013 at 01:05.
soulkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 06:14   #19989  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
1)lav video decoder yuv->rgb :untouched (as input)
this is not used madvr accepts nearly all colorspaces available.

Quote:
PS toggling between RGB full and limited doesn't seem to affect my brightness/contrast levels(either in desktop or within mpc)...i don't think this is normal,ehh?
where did you toggle this? in madvr (devices -> monitor -> properties) madvr control + shift + alternative + i or in lav filter.

the lavfilter options is not used be course it is not converting to rgb.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 12:08   #19990  |  Link
Soukyuu

Quote:
Also, with the recent PRISM stuff, I'm scared of all the spying stuff I will have to learn about and try to disable in W8.
Considering how long they have been spying, (older news about that go as far as nineties, though written off as conspiracy theories), about any OS could have a backdoor. Even linux's SElinux feature was at least partially written by the NSA, so you can't really hide anyway. Though instead of win8 I'd personally go with win7
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 13:09   #19991  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
instead of win8 I'd personally go with win7
Yep, I'm not ready for the W8 metro bs just yet.......I'll be taking baby steps, and I might as well install W7SP1 on a SSD saving me from the HDD partitioning nightmare.

Well, at least AMD made it clear and gave up on XP altogether.....nvidia did not and I keep reading that DX9 games run faster on XP than on W7/8.....but anyway, there's little point for madshi to waste his time on XP and tbh I've been craving HPET since forever, time to put it all in action as there's no point in living in the past....and soon or later I'll be forced to move on anyway. Direct2D also seems pretty yummy

Concerning security, the way I see it: no open port = no problem. You also have to disable every non-vital background process and it'll take me a good while to learn the tricks of the trade all over again....and also to find a proper rules based trustable firewall, but using a 2012 DX11 GPU on a 2001 DX9 OS just doesn't make sense

And to avoid complete OT, I'll say that a 2GB GTX660 is really a dream come true with mVR...even with all buffers set to the max + FRC enabled(with a Q9450) I barely reach 1.2GB of VRAM and 30% of GPU load. It'll take 60fps 1440*1080 to seriously load the board and I do plan on keeping it for a while as this Asus is really just as silent as the reviews claim. Hopefully the GW2760HS won't be a letdown either

Last edited by leeperry; 31st August 2013 at 19:22.
Old 31st August 2013, 15:31   #19992  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Basically I'm looking for samples which have all kinds of black bars encoded into the video area, either top/bottom, or left/right, or even all around. The weirder the black bars are, the better. E.g. if the top bar is smaller than the bottom bar (as is the case with some Japan broadcasts because they place subtitles under the Cinemascope video area), that would make a great sample.
In Life of Pi there is a scene where fishes come flying through the black bars.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 18:21   #19993  |  Link
digitech

Quote:
Yep, I'm not ready for the W8 metro bs just
And to avoid complete OT, I'll say that a 2GB GTX660 is really a dream come true with mVR...even with all buffers set to the max + FRC enabled I barely reach 1.2GB of VRAM and 30% of GPU load. It'll take 60fps 1440*1080 to seriously load the board and I do plan on keeping it for a while as this Asus is really just as silent as the reviews claim. Hopefully the GW2760HS won't be a letdown either
Would you be so kind and post your PC Specs please (Cpu,Gpu,Motherboard, HD, etc?) Im planning to build a dedicated HTPC that has no problems with MadVR movie playback and emulating games (PS2,Wii,Dreamcast), how much do you think it will cost? thanks a lot four your input!
digitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 23:11   #19994  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

a Q9450 in an equally old system but mVR does pretty much everything on the GPU and the LAV decoder uses CUVID for H264/VC1 & MPEG2 decoding so no need for a high-end CPU. I barely see 10-15% CPU loads while watching movies.

The more you wait, the cheaper the 660 will get as the 760 is making is obsolete and resellers can't afford to lose money on their outstanding stock....all this said, Asus boards are always the most silent in every review. They're not the coolest though as the heatsink is DirectCU but its fins are aluminium and the fans don't rotate very fast so this might be a problem in a small HTPC where you would prefer a ref board with a turbine fan that instantly exhausts the hot air out of the box. OTOH that'll be noisier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuuey View Post
Well I think my Vsync issues on XP are a problem related to the Nvidia drivers. Even with latest WHQL drivers, the refresh rate reported by madVR is all over the place, sometimes falling to 57Hz on a 60Hz screen and sometimes jumping into 62 range, and frame drops occur everywhere. I just tested madVR on another machine with Intel HD4000 Ivy Bridge graphics, exact same software setup as my PC and it works flawless, no Vsync issues and I just watched a film with 0 frame drops on it. I guess Nvidia messed something up on XP and 600 series drivers. Interesting fact is that all games, for example have perfect Vsync applied.
Yep, thanks again for the warning......I should have taken it more seriously. The only game I play is Q3 and it works just fine on the 660.

Last edited by leeperry; 1st September 2013 at 01:20.
Old 1st September 2013, 13:56   #19995  |  Link
YxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Has anyone experienced the video freezing yet the audio continuing? I skipped to the last closing chapter and after it finished and started playing the next file but the picture was frozen and MPC-BE was unresponsive. I couldn't minimize or bring up any menus, it wasn't until I hit CTRL-Alt-Delete and got task manager up that MPC-BE then displayed everything properly. I have no idea at this point where the issue may lie, although perhaps it could be related to another issue I've experienced where the odd subtitle is not being refreshed on screen as well..
I experienced this fairly often when I used MVR's refresh rate changer. Never could produce it at will so I didn't submit any kind of bug report. Now I use only 60hz + smooth motion and it hasn't happened to me since.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 15:53   #19996  |  Link
jkauff

Congratulations (I guess) to madshi for reaching 1000 pages in this thread!
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 16:30   #19997  |  Link
vulture_g7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Please don't post your question twice.

Personally, I've no idea how that virtu stuff works. madVR behaves like a game. So whatever you do to make games run on your 7870 should in theory also work for madVR. If it doesn't then I don't know why, or how to make it work, unfortunately...
Ah...sorry about that, I thought I had to post it again to get it noticed as the post count grew rapidly, but obviously I was wrong, won't happen again!

As for virtu.... well, regrdless of it, let's forget I mentioned it. Is it possible that madvr uses the gfx card that's not outputing to monitor for hardware acceleration? Or is it possible to add that feature at some point? SVP does. I mean, I use the builtin intel HD 3000 for output, but it can use another gfx card in the system for opencl acceleration (the radeon 7870 in my case). Can madvr do something similar?

Thx!
vulture_g7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 04:14   #19998  |  Link
jkauff

I'm sure you have a reason, but why do you have the HD3000 outputting to your monitor instead of your discrete GPU?
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:03   #19999  |  Link
vulture_g7

Sure, that's a very valid question! Having HD 3000 as a primary card of sorts means the 7870 is in idle mode for about 80% of the time I spend before my computer, surfing the net, managing files and writing emails. That results in much lower power consumption and heat dissipation inside my tower. Also, quicksync is readily available to lav decoder without resorting to tricks when HD 3000 is active for video playback.
vulture_g7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:43   #20000  |  Link
psousa

madVR is great. i asked before if i need change anything on madVr options since i have a panasonic G20 and only do 4:2:2 not 4:4:4

1) on madVR options should i change RGB levels for TV (16-235) or to PC (o-255)?
2) on LAV video configuration should i change RGB levels for TV or PC?
3) i have a receiver denon 2309 and i set it for TV levels.

i sold my last laptop with hd5650 and buy new one with gt630m gpu. need change anything on nvidia options?

thanks
psousa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling