Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 20th June 2007, 16:33   #201  |  Link
honai

Quote:
Every DTS HD Tracks has encoded a DTS "core" inside ,which is a "standard" DTS 1536kbps 5.1.
Are you sure this is also true of HD-DVD DTS-HD tracks? I was under the impression that the compatibility core of DTS-HD is only mandatory for Blu-ray titles.

Old 20th June 2007, 16:40   #202  |  Link
The_Keymaker

@honai,

I have been successful at converting TrueHD files to 6 mono waves using using eac3to and my EAC3toGUI program.

I use eac3to/EAC3toGUI to convert the TrueHD track (in an EVO) to wav file. I then use tranzcode to convert the multichannel wav file to 6 mono waves and the use surcode DTS to convert the mono waves to DTS.

Once I finish fixing bugs and adding features to EAC3toGUI, I will tackle a one click utility (using madshi's eac3to, EAC3toGUI, tranzcode and surcode DTS) to do this.

By the way on my system - Krell processor, Pass Labs amps and B&W Nautilus 802 speakers - I can easily tell the difference between high rate Dolby digital (640kbps) and DTS (1536kbps), with DTS sounding better.

since I have eschewed analog out for the time being, I can not comment on the sound quaility of TrueHD vs other similar formats.
Old 20th June 2007, 16:49   #203  |  Link
honai

@The_Keymaker

Sounds really great, thanks for your efforts!

BTW nice setup there! I'm running standard consumer HW here, but over SPDIF I can also hear the difference between full-bitrate DTS and AC3@640kbps, so TruHD->DTS seems like the only way to go.

Old 20th June 2007, 16:56   #204  |  Link
crapz0rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binnugsai View Post
Hello, so i try to encode a dd+, Pitch.Black.HD-DVD.1080pEnglish 5.1.ec3 to test.ac3 with eac3toGui and i have that :

C:\DVD Outils HD\EAC3toGUI 0.90>eac3to.exe "C:\DVD Outils HD\EAC3toGUI 0.90\Pitc
h.Black.HD-DVD.1080pEnglish 5.1.ec3" "G:\test.ac3" -640 -nero
E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 1:51:54, 1536kbit/s, 48khz
Muxing eac3 file to raw. Please wait...
The file size of the raw file doesn't seem to fit.
The expected file size for 16 bit is 1,66 MB.
The expected file size for 24 bit is 2,49 MB.
The real file size is 0 Bytes.

C:\DVD Outils HD\EAC3toGUI 0.90>

Did i miss something, i force nero and i have Nero burning Premium in my hard disk. Did i install the bluray/Hddvd plugin in plus or not necessary !!! is there something wrong.

Thank you for your help
Binnugsai
Correct, the bluray/hddvd is installed by default, but you need to license it separately.
If you start "Nero ProductSetup" and goto license, you'll you probably do not have a serial installed for bluray/hddvd plugin.
It's a seperate purchase from the nero website.
Old 20th June 2007, 23:29   #205  |  Link
homerpez

HEAVILY UPDATED TO REFLECT MY PROGRESS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
@homerpez, currently eac3to only supports TrueHD inside of EVO containers. But if you can send me a little chunk of your Blu-Ray M2TS file (20MB should be enough), I may be able to add support for Blu-Ray TrueHD, too. Much depends on how the Nero filters behave. For sure you'll need the Nero HD-DVD/Blu-Ray plugin. You can try right now if things work by renaming GraphEdit.exe to "Recode.exe" and then using "File Source Async -> Nero Splitter -> Nero Audio Decoder -> Dump". Does that work?
I discovered an obscure way to decode this track, and it was similar to what you'd posted here, madishi. However, I still couldn't do anything with the True HD track or LCM streams demuxed... I found that running either the TrueHD or LPCM streams through EAC3toGUI, or tranzcode, or dtscore, would result in garbled output or no data at all.

But... just for kicks, I loaded up the .m2ts stream (instead of any demuxed stream) and connected to the Nero filters that way.

Filesource(Async) "0066.m2ts" --> Nero Splitter --> Nero Audio Decoder 2 (this must be what they call it in the Vista version of Nero Ultra)

I then connected the Nero Decoder to "Directshow device" audio renderer. I could then listen, and select which audio stream I wanted to decode using the Nero Splitter (it was stream "0" which I think is the LPCM).

Once found, I disconnected the audio renderer, saved the graph file, referenced it in an AVS file, and loaded it into BeHappy.

I encoded it into 5.1 ac3 format, and it sounds great. I think even the channels are mapped correctly.

Unfortunately, this method didn't use EAC3to... didn't need it... but a working solution is a working solution.

Also, I didn't need to rename Graphedit to anything else... it just simply worked as described. If it's repeatable, this seems a fairly simple way of accomplishing things.

Last edited by homerpez; 21st June 2007 at 06:56.
Old 21st June 2007, 06:48   #206  |  Link
The_Keymaker

New version (0.96) of EAC3toGUI is now available. It can be obtained from this link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/btfl0x

Made several changes and improvements. Change log:

0.96 - Reconfigured destination file input scheme.
- Added quote support for executable path. Should fix the
program launching problem reported by Beastie Boy.
- Implemented Source file validation by extension.
- Implemented destination file validation by extension.
- Implemented option enabling by input file type.
- Added Vertical scroll to command line output.

Please report any bugs you may find.

Regards,
The_Keymaker
Old 21st June 2007, 07:10   #207  |  Link
Binnugsai

@The_Keymaker

Thank you for all, we can't download the new version of EactiGui 0.96. Wrong link !!!!!!!
Old 21st June 2007, 07:12   #208  |  Link
Binnugsai

@crapz0rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapz0rs View Post
Correct, the bluray/hddvd is installed by default, but you need to license it separately.
If you start "Nero ProductSetup" and goto license, you'll you probably do not have a serial installed for bluray/hddvd plugin.
It's a seperate purchase from the nero website.

Thank you crapz0rs, very nice. everything is ok now.

Best regards.
Old 21st June 2007, 11:21   #209  |  Link
Beastie Boy

The_Keymaker, many thanks for the updated GUI. I have tested it and still ge a file not found error, but it isn't caused by the pathname. By default, EVOdemux outputs the audio file with .DD+. in the file name. When this is passed to eAC3to it appears in the console as .DD>., hence the file isn't found, nor is the output file if this name also contains DD+.
I changed the text to .DDp and all worked OK.
Hope this helps.

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 21st June 2007, 13:30   #210  |  Link
The_Keymaker

Is anyone besides Binnugsai having problems downloading EAC3toGUI v0.96 from the link?

I tested the link and was able to download it with no problem.

The_Keymaker
Old 21st June 2007, 13:34   #211  |  Link
The_Keymaker

@BeastieBoy

Yes I believe the "+" sign is reserved by Windows/DOS for another purpose so one should avoid using this symbol in filenames. I'm not sure I can workaround this in EAC3toGUI.

I always rename the files spit out by EVOdemux to something more conventional.

Thanks for the feedback!
The_Keymaker.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:26   #212  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Keymaker View Post
I always rename the files spit out by EVOdemux to something more conventional.
So do I, so it's not a problem
The link worked fine for me.

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 21st June 2007, 14:45   #213  |  Link
Binnugsai

@The_Keymaker

Ok i the link is ok and worked fine. Thanks

So, i want to know how do we use DTSCore to convert a DTS-HD audio, in command line with Dos !!!!, witch one. Don't you think that we can perhaps using Betsweet to demux into 6 chanel wav and remux with Surcode dvd.......

Thanks
Old 21st June 2007, 14:53   #214  |  Link
ACrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
Are you sure this is also true of HD-DVD DTS-HD tracks? I was under the impression that the compatibility core of DTS-HD is only mandatory for Blu-ray titles.
yes im sure on HDDVD too, DTSHD is DTSHD ,its the same

I use a lot of extracted dtscores from HDDVD ( Perfume ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binnugsai View Post
@The_Keymaker

Ok i the link is ok and worked fine. Thanks

So, i want to know how do we use DTSCore to convert a DTS-HD audio, in command line with Dos !!!!, witch one. Don't you think that we can perhaps using Betsweet to demux into 6 chanel wav and remux with Surcode dvd.......

Thanks
Why ? Makes 100% no Sense .You will lost a lot of Quality with Surcode reencode

As i say you can extract the dtscore lossless from DTS HD ! So you have the encoded 1536kbps DTS core without Quality loss from a senseless reencode

Its simple. Start your Windows command Promt and type in

dtscore.exe dtshd.dts dtsnew.dts

Thats all to get the DTS Core from DTS HD

Last edited by ACrowley; 21st June 2007 at 15:11.
Old 22nd June 2007, 07:09   #215  |  Link
Binnugsai

dtscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACrowley View Post
yes im sure on HDDVD too, DTSHD is DTSHD ,its the same

I use a lot of extracted dtscores from HDDVD ( Perfume ...)

Why ? Makes 100% no Sense .You will lost a lot of Quality with Surcode reencode

As i say you can extract the dtscore lossless from DTS HD ! So you have the encoded 1536kbps DTS core without Quality loss from a senseless reencode

Its simple. Start your Windows command Promt and type in

dtscore.exe dtshd.dts dtsnew.dts

Thats all to get the DTS Core from DTS HD
@ACrowley

Thanks a lot. I saw at the end that is not necessary to use DTScore. I try with Rambo First Blood with DTSHD and after use Evodemux with mpa extension for the audio, i have just change the name in xxxxxx.dts and i can read it and use it to make my mkv movie. I read too with Powerdvd without problem. So
Old 23rd June 2007, 16:51   #216  |  Link
xkodi

@madshi

finally, i've managed to mux correctly standart MLP files (homemade, so with known format) into EVOB container.

i've made small program, that reads the EVOB blocks from the 'V for Vendetta' TrueHD EVO file and then leaves the EVOB headers, but replaces the TrueHD data with the MLP data from my homemade MLP file and it works - 'Nero Audio Decoder 2' plays the newly created EVOB with the MLP track into it.

so i made very extended test with MLP streams with known format and it shows, that:

1) 'Nero Audio Decoder 2' always uses 24bit output, even when the source MLP stream is 16bit

2) when the source MLP stream is 16bit, 'Nero Audio Decoder 2' doesn't always decode least significant byte to zero, so it doesn't decode correctly (losslessly) when the input stream is 16bit

the source code and binary of the test mux program, plus all files using during the test and detailed descriptions are in the following archive (1.8MB):

http://rapidshare.com/files/38903695..._test.rar.html

so everyone of you can re-done the test and review it.

i'm awaiting to hear what you guys think about the test, but seems after all, 'Nero Audio Decoder 2' has a bug.

maybe someone of you will even extend the test with more conclusive samples.
Old 23rd June 2007, 16:57   #217  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@xkodi, thanks very much for your test!

In the meanwhile I've finally got a reply from Nero support, asking for more details. I've send them detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem. Hopefully they'll fix it!
Old 23rd June 2007, 16:58   #218  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

P.S: @xkodi, are the 24bit MLP files decoded correctly? I mean are they 100% identical to the source?
Old 23rd June 2007, 17:03   #219  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
P.S: @xkodi, are the 24bit MLP files decoded correctly? I mean are they 100% identical to the source?
yes, the 24bit MLP files are decoded byte by byte identical to the source WAV file, but decoded 16bit MLP files are not identical to the source WAV file, they are outputed as 24bit, but not always the least significant byte is zero - exactly the same behaviour we noticed with TrueHD files.

p.s.fixed 'info.txt' from the archive is here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/38906969/info.txt.html

Last edited by xkodi; 23rd June 2007 at 17:12.
Old 23rd June 2007, 17:10   #220  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
yes, the 24bit MLP files are decoded byte by byte identical to the source WAV file
That is good news! So at least the Nero decoder is perfect for 24bit MLP and most probably also for 24bit TrueHD files!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
but decoded 16bit MLP files are not identical to the source WAV file, they are outputed as 24bit, but not always the least significant byte is zero - exactly the same behaviour we noticed with TrueHD files.
If you compare the original 16bit WAV source to the 24bit MLP decoder output, do you see a pattern? Are the 2 most significant bytes always 100% correct and the least significant byte contains "random" data? Or are the 2 most significant bytes not fully correct, either? If only the least significant byte is wrong and the 2 most significant bytes are correct, I could add code to eac3to to simply zero out the least significant byte and we'd be ready to go!

Thanks!
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to