Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 21st January 2006, 23:24   #161  |  Link
berrinam

Make more use of "Don't show me this again" in dialogs. The reset all dialogs button was added in the Settings window to make this easier, and there is also a dialogsettings class which should be used to keep track of the user's decisions.
Old 21st January 2006, 23:44   #162  |  Link
berrinam

Sorry about the 5 consecutive posts. I just keep on missing things which I want to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
However, your mode of operation seems sub-optimal. What you should really do is this:

1. Rip the DVD with DVDDecrypter, generating a chapter (OGG format) and stream information files.
2. Open the first VOB file with the One Click Encoder. Configure, and press go. (Alternatively, you could take the time beforehand to set up presets for the OneClick Window, so that you could keep your settings for all your encodes).

This means you only need to be at your computer for the duration of the ripping itself.
Actually, another idea occurs to me -- perhaps MeGUI could run DVDDecrypter? This could really make One Click mode live up to its name. It would also mean that the rips could be controlled to give the correct sort of output for all the modes. I know that DVDDecrypter can be run by commandline, so perhaps it is worth looking at the Robot4Rip sourcecode for some examples. Of course, this would be a lot of work to add, as all new dependancies are.

EDIT:
1. Robot4Rip is not open source, so looking at its source code is not an option.
2. To properly integrate DVD sources into MeGUI, some way of MeGUI knowing what's what would be required (ie, IFO parsing). Perhaps the vStrip or mediainfo dlls would be appropriate? I know this is adding more and more dependancies, but dlls could be distributed with MeGUI, so it isn't really much more for the user to set up, and they then get the benefit of automation straight from the DVD, and also being able to use sources which don't have Stream Information.txt

Last edited by berrinam; 25th January 2006 at 04:38.
Old 22nd January 2006, 13:44   #163  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
What you are talking about sounds most like the One Click Encoder. [..] your mode of operation seems sub-optimal.
Methinks you may be right. I'll give that a whirl once the queue clears (ETA 35 hours).

Cool, thanks.

{edit P.S. I spent ten minutes googling for this "One Click Encoder" tool that I'd never heard of as an alternative to MeGUI, StaxRip, GordianKnot et al. It wasn't until I did a Doom9 forum search that I realised it's an option on the MeGUI menu. Jeez, I need to get my head in gear.}

Last edited by Morte66; 22nd January 2006 at 14:01.
Old 22nd January 2006, 14:45   #164  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

This is not a standard option in video encoding tools I've seen, but I think it would be a useful feature:

I'd like to add an overall job option for "PAL 25 to FILM 24". This would take a PAL source (probably DVD or TV rip), redefine the video as 24fps, slow down the audio (slowing tempo and dropping pitch) with a "-rate -4" option to BeSweet, and retime chapters/subtitles. I could do this as multiple tasks in multiple tools, so hopefully the code/expertise is out there. But it would be very nice to have it built into MeGUI as a single checkbox on the "Automatic Encode" and "One Click Encode" screens.

My rationale is that the results look and sound better than the original. The video matches creative intent, the orchestra isn't playing out of key, and hi-fi nuts everywhere in PALworld can stop itching because "the bass is a bit wrong" and voices are sibilant.

Quite a lot of people play back their MPEG4 on computers using displays with variable refresh rates. I see no reason other than habit for these people to encode film for TV sets slaved to a 50Hz electrical supply.

Last edited by Morte66; 22nd January 2006 at 14:52.
Old 22nd January 2006, 17:34   #165  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Quote:
{edit P.S. I spent ten minutes googling for this "One Click Encoder" tool that I'd never heard of as an alternative to MeGUI, StaxRip, GordianKnot et al. It wasn't until I did a Doom9 forum search that I realised it's an option on the MeGUI menu. Jeez, I need to get my head in gear.}
A lot of users say similar things. At some point, we should add a toolbar with buttons for the actual common tools, then split the various "settings" dialogs onto their own part of the menu (or maybe their own menu).
Old 26th January 2006, 17:28   #166  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

I can provide webhosting for auto-update. I can also register megui.org if nobody has yet...
Old 26th January 2006, 17:28   #167  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Would this need CC?
What's CC? Credit Card? ClearCase?
I'm not even sure how it should work considering that sometimes erratic x264 builds, problematic mp4box builds and encraw where there's nothing in terms of distribution at all.
Old 26th January 2006, 17:33   #168  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

How about create a webfolder http://megui.org/meguirequirements that ~5 people have write access to, and occasionally upload new working builds there? It's not the "coolest" solution, but it's better than what we have now.

Since it's us doing the updating, that also means we can create our own naming convention. Something like
x264-2006-xx-xx.rar
mp4box-2006-xx-xx.rar
etc.
Then it's very easy for the MeGUI client to see what the latest version of everything is.
Old 26th January 2006, 17:36   #169  |  Link
Mutant_Fruit

About the autoupgrade of the components. What exactly are ye looking for in this feature?

Are you looking for a way to get the latest and greatest from the developers website, or do you want it only to get the latest version from what we upload to our webspace?

I think easiest (and safest compatibility-wise) would be to have webspace where we manually upload the latest versions of each DLL/exe that MeGUI uses that are safe for use. That way if there is a dodgy build we can not release it to the webspace.

Then, MeGUI could be set to poll that webspace to see what the latest versions are as compared to the versions on the computer (can be done by checking filenames or using an XML file).

EDIT: By CC i meant conditional compiling I deleted that post as i was writing this new longer one, with a lot more details in it
Old 26th January 2006, 22:41   #170  |  Link
Dayvon
I'm Dayvon, an MP4 addict

Hey guys!!

Wondering if the Bitrate Calculator can go up higher. Like say, to 24hrs of recording?

I've got a 11hr18min encode that I'd like to have on a DVDDL, and the bitrate calculator only goes up to about 6 hrs. I'm able to get around it by using 1/2 the time and DVD5, which is about spot on. But it'd be cool for you to add more time, and DVD-DL, DVDR9.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dayvon; 26th January 2006 at 22:48.
Old 27th January 2006, 15:26   #171  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I've got a 11hr18min encode that I'd like to have on a DVDDL
What in god's name is that?
Old 27th January 2006, 15:34   #172  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
What in god's name is that?
I propose - some season of futurama or something like it
It's definitly better to encode it as one file to allow better bitrate distributuion
Old 27th January 2006, 16:09   #173  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I propose - some season of futurama or something like it
I have all seasons of Futurama.. and they come on several DVDs with a number of hours per disc that the calculator has no problem with.
Old 27th January 2006, 16:32   #174  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
I have all seasons of Futurama.. and they come on several DVDs with a number of hours per disc that the calculator has no problem with.
as i said - something like it, isn't it?
Anycase even if you have multiple original dvd's you can concatenate video via AviSynth:
Code:
return season1 + season2 + season3 ... seasonN
And encode it to one file with chapters. Using such metod will allow you to achive better bitrate distribution along full movies and achive same quality @ all seasons, isn't it
Old 27th January 2006, 16:45   #175  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
And encode it to one file with chapters. Using such metod will allow you to achive better bitrate distribution along full movies and achive same quality @ all seasons, isn't it
I dare venture that the difference in between encoding DVD by DVD and encoding the entire season is not visible.
Plus then there's we have the nice details of audio delays.. you can't just concatenate the audio streams if you have delays.
Old 27th January 2006, 16:50   #176  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
I dare venture that the difference in between encoding DVD by DVD and encoding the entire season is not visible.
Plus then there's we have the nice details of audio delays.. you can't just concatenate the audio streams if you have delays.
I may be wrong but if it's off DVD then you could do it through DGINDEX. I've never done anything this large before but I think that the audio would be adjusted properly.

YOu could do the additonal painful step of encoding each audio seperately and using avisynth to combine the audio through the concatenation same as the videos.

But even so this is not a practical way to encode something. 1 episode. If he were to encode it he would most certainly would take 3-4 days to properly encode it (filtering, high backup settings(xvid or x264)). There is no guarantee it wouldn't fail halfway through.
Old 27th January 2006, 16:51   #177  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
you can't just concatenate the audio streams if you have delays.
I can do it via AviSynth too
Old 27th January 2006, 16:56   #178  |  Link
The Link

Quote:
Add support for Ogg Vorbis encoding
Description: It's the only good free low bitrate codec at the moment (FAAC isn't tuned and afaik generally worse than Vorbis and the Nero AAC codec isn't free. Itunes AAC codec is for free and quite good imho but not very well supported via cli.). The obvious drawback: You can only sanely use it in mkv.
Status : The audio part is currently frozen pending a redesign/move to AviSynth.
Just wanted to bring this up again since the move to avisynth is done. Either a final rejection or a general acceptance would be fine.

Old 27th January 2006, 16:58   #179  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I may be wrong but if it's off DVD then you could do it through DGINDEX. I've never done anything this large before but I think that the audio would be adjusted properly.
Unless you've tried, I'd be very sceptical of such statements.. it's not like VOB2 has another delay and VOB3 another, etc.. it's VOB1 has a certain delay and in between VOBs things are seamless.. so if you add another VOB which once again has a delay.. what is DGIndex supposed to do? Say it's a positive delay.. DGIndex can't append empty AC3 frames to fill the blank (afaik), so it would append the next AC3 frame, thus causing a sudden mismatch when the video goes from movie 1 to movie 2 or disc1 to disc 2.

Quote:
I can do it via AviSynth too
I know you'd say that.. but most people can't. Unless something comes my way that I would have to manually split up because megui's calculator doesn't go that high, I have no intention of removing that limitation (and risk breaking the calculator again).
Old 27th January 2006, 17:00   #180  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Status : The audio part is currently frozen pending a redesign/move to AviSynth.
Now it's "pending refactoring".. it depends on how the whole audio part turns out.. if it gets easy enough to accept / reject configured streams based on the container selected, it may be an option, but it's not an option to bring it up now because the audio code is all over the place and all but pretty.