Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd September 2015, 17:29   #33041  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm pretty much torn on using gamma vs linear light for downscaling. I believe most studios downscale their 4K masters to 1080p for Blu-Ray in gamma light. So using SuperRes with gamma light downscaling should produce more correct results. However, if the Blu-Ray master was originally only 2K and no downscaling was applied by the studio then things might be different.
Linear light is closer to what would happen if you use optics to downscale an image, so I think that would be the most natural. If you artificially downscale an image in gamma light, then this causes some artefacts which you might be able to fix using SuperRes. But for an image which hasn't been downscaled artificially, and doesn't have those artefacts, trying to 'correct' those mistakes will cause artefacts. So in my opinion gamma light shouldn't be used by default, because it tries to fix something which might not be wrong.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:37   #33042  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Linear light is closer to what would happen if you use optics to downscale an image, so I think that would be the most natural. If you artificially downscale an image in gamma light, then this causes some artefacts which you might be able to fix using SuperRes. But for an image which hasn't been downscaled artificially, and doesn't have those artefacts, trying to 'correct' those mistakes will cause artefacts. So in my opinion gamma light shouldn't be used by default, because it tries to fix something which might not be wrong.
The right default setting should be the one which applies to the majority of content rendered through madVR. So was the majority of content downscaled in gamma light at some point? Or was it not? I find it hard to say, but I suppose that probably 99% of all DVDs were downscaled in gamma light. For Blu-Ray it's more difficult. For older movies which got a 4K scan it's probably gamma light. For newer movies which have a 2K DI it might depend on at which resolution the film was scanned, or which resolution the digical camera recorded in. So it's really difficult to tell... Maybe a good default setting would be to use gamma light for SD content and linear light for 4K content? Not sure about Blu-Ray, though...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:54   #33043  |  Link
CiNcH

Quote:
In order to analyze this further, could you try (in the situation where the problem occurs) to press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break maybe 3 times, with a couple seconds delay? With a bit of luck you might get 3 freeze reports on your desktop then, which will tell me what all of the threads in the DVBViewer process were doing (full callstack). That can be a great help finding a deadlock.
Here we go...

madVR - freeze report

This time, screen was black when it froze. So it is timing related when the freeze happens on a channel change.

Quote:
In order to make the freeze reports as useful as possible, could you do this with a DVBViewer build for which you have the Delphi "map" file? I'm not sure if you have access to such a build (I don't). But if you do, the freeze reports will also contain detailed callstacks for all DVBViewer's threads etc. Also please download the matching PDB files for LAV, so we get the full callstacks for LAV, too. Thanks!!
I don't have access to such builds. I would have to talk to Griga/hackbart.
I also don't know where to get that for LAV.

I now tried again in windowed fullscreen mode. It feels much more stable, but not entirely. But the error seems a bit different there. I get a madVR crash report which I am also attaching. One time I also saw an OSD appear in the top left area with red font which said something like "GPU dither texture failed". It was flashing for a short amount of time only, so I failed to read the exact wording.

madVR - crash report
Old 22nd September 2015, 18:00   #33044  |  Link
Serhiyko

Quote:
Ah yes. Newer madVR builds don't fully rerender the paused video frame all the time, to save resources. If you use the built-in subtitle renderer then madVR does not know that you changed the subtitle track, so I don't know that I need to rerender the video frame. I'm not sure if I can solve this without pushing GPU power through the roof again in paused mode. And frankly, I don't think this is important enough to make compromises with high GPU power in paused mode.
So there is no way to instantly hide/display subtitles in paused mode? Okay then, I'll just revert to the older version where this was still possible by pushing GPU power through the roof

Quote:
Then I'm not sure where the problem comes from. For me, the MPC-HC screenshot function usually outputs the original unscaled frame. This might depend on the exact madVR settings, though. E.g. I could imagine that this might not work as intended when using DXVA anything. In any case, I'll revisit the whole screenshot stuff at some point in the future, giving you more control over what exactly you want to get (before scaling, after scaling etc). For now it is as it is.
I've tried different settings without any success. Whatever it is, it's something that was introduced in madVR v0.88.9
Serhiyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 18:43   #33045  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Samples? The more the merrier...
Here's a video where cropping doesn't work

https://www.spiritualselftransformat...ncoder-old.mpg
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 18:58   #33046  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNcH View Post
Here we go...

This time, screen was black when it froze. So it is timing related when the freeze happens on a channel change.
Thanks. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything suspicious in the freeze reports. All threads seem to be alive, more or less.

Quote:
I now tried again in windowed fullscreen mode. It feels much more stable, but not entirely. But the error seems a bit different there. I get a madVR crash report which I am also attaching. One time I also saw an OSD appear in the top left area with red font which said something like "GPU dither texture failed". It was flashing for a short amount of time only, so I failed to read the exact wording.

madVR - crash report
I have my doubts that this build will help, but it's worth a try:

http://madshi.net/madVR893e.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serhiyko View Post
So there is no way to instantly hide/display subtitles in paused mode? Okay then, I'll just revert to the older version where this was still possible by pushing GPU power through the roof
Probably using XySubFilter would work around the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serhiyko View Post
I've tried different settings without any success. Whatever it is, it's something that was introduced in madVR v0.88.9
Hmmm... Try enabling "linear light" for "image downscaling". Does that fix the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
Here's a video where cropping doesn't work
Hmmmm... Seek quickly into the middle of the sample, before madVR has time to detect the black bars, then it will work. The problem is that the right bar is not static, it gets bigger and smaller all the time. madVR detects it correctly at the start of this sample, but then after that it keeps moving, and not only that, the video image gets smaller, and it's only one edge out of 4. These are all bad circumstances, because this is exactly the type of situation where false positives can occur. Just imagine a movie which happens to have a scene where the right image border has a black object, covering most of the right image border. That could look like madVR like a new black bar. But actually it's part of the image. Because of that in circumstances like this (valid detection is active, only one edge has a black bar, and the black bar grows bigger, and it changes size all the time) madVR is extra careful not to produce a false positive.

Practically, if I tune the detection to detect this sample, I could introduce false positives in other movies.

Do you have samples which have bigger black bars, ideally symmetrical ones (top + bottom, or left + right), which madVR doesn't detect?
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:16   #33047  |  Link
CiNcH

Quote:
I have my doubts that this build will help, but it's worth a try:

http://madshi.net/madVR893e.rar
Got stuck again . Now there is always a black screen for some reason. Again the "deadlock" is released when bringing the task manager to the front via CTRL+ALT+DEL, kicking madVR out of FSE.
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:18   #33048  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Argh. Ok, so right now I don't see much hope for me in finding the cause without being able to reproduce it somehow. Is there any chance this can be reproduced with video files (instead of live TV)?
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:22   #33049  |  Link
CiNcH

I am afraid not. I never tried to simulate channel switches with Files...
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:24   #33050  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Do you have samples which have bigger black bars, ideally symmetrical ones (top + bottom, or left + right), which madVR doesn't detect?
Oups, I actually didn't send the one I wanted to send.

This is the one that really is causing issues. De-activating and re-activating auto-crop doesn't help with this one.
https://mega.nz/#!CNRzTADb!oQ-rHUvsY...gADlv8rA0zUNYs
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:34   #33051  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I am afraid not. I never tried to simulate channel switches with Files...
Oh well. My brother has a Dreambox connected to SAT, which I can access via LAN. Is there any way I can make DVBViewer treat the Dreambox as a Sat receiver? Maybe that would allow me to reproduce the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
Oups, I actually didn't send the one I wanted to send.

This is the one that really is causing issues. De-activating and re-activating auto-crop doesn't help with this one.
https://mega.nz/#!CNRzTADb!oQ-rHUvsY...gADlv8rA0zUNYs
Euh, those ugly subtitles! I'll have a look at this, but my best guess is that the subtitles are to monstruous for the current madVR detection code. I expect there to be some black pixels somewhere in between those subtitle letters in each pixel line. Otherwise to madVR it looks like real image content and not subtitles. But I'll see what I can do...
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:38   #33052  |  Link
Serhiyko

Quote:
Probably using XySubFilter would work around the issue.
Does it allow to show/hide subtitles with keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys)?

Quote:
Hmmm... Try enabling "linear light" for "image downscaling". Does that fix the problem?
Yes
Serhiyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:53   #33053  |  Link
CiNcH

I can't think of something useful with the Dreambox either, as long as E2 devices do not feature a SAT>IP server. I am currently trying to reproduce it with two recordings of the channels and a playlist...
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:05   #33054  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Strange, again, I'm using DXVA copyback, and player crashes with NNedi3.

Regarding cropping black bars: is there any settings (if not can you add one) for configuring not to crop black bars IF black bars are less than 2-4-6-8-10-..-15 lines? (I just realised yesterday night with a bluray remux, that it cropped 1 pixel from the side, resulting 1919 wide picture )
Thanks
Quote:
Do you get a crash box looking similar to this? http://madshi.net/exc-ss3.gif
If so, please press "show bug report", then Ctrl+C, then you'll find the crash report in your clipboard. Upload it somewhere for me to look at.
1. Yes, I do have, here's the log, thanks: http://pastebin.com/YCsxfMDv

2. about my 2nd question: I made some test and everything seems to be good with these madvr settings under zoom control:
- x disable scaling if image size changes by only: 25 lines or less
- x automatically detect hard coded black bars
- x if black bars change pick one zoom factor: which doesn't lose any image content
- x notify media player about cropped black bars: no more than once every 2 sec
- x keep bars visible if they contain subtitles: forever
- x crop black bars

That means, I don't need any further option about this And the top setting solves the problem with some strange fullHD videos that aren't fullHD (scaling wise, and MPC-HC doesn't scale it either!)! Awesome! Thank You!

3. 1 more thing popped in my mind about cropped black bars and profiling by size : will this work/detect screen changes on the fly?
Thank you once more!
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:05   #33055  |  Link
CiNcH

Ha! I succeeded! Easily reproducible here... Exactly same symptoms as with live channel switching.

Add the following two files (10s each) to a DVBViewer playlist, then play it.

Sky Atlantic HD
Sky Comedy

The files will alternately be played back.

As I said it requires FSE here. When video freezes, the problem will persist until you kick madVR out of FSE via CTRL+ALT+DEL. So the duration of the single files should not matter. You will hear that the files are still alternately being played back when video hangs, as audio still works.

Last edited by CiNcH; 22nd September 2015 at 20:30.
CiNcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:22   #33056  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
The right default setting should be the one which applies to the majority of content rendered through madVR. So was the majority of content downscaled in gamma light at some point? Or was it not? I find it hard to say, but I suppose that probably 99% of all DVDs were downscaled in gamma light. For Blu-Ray it's more difficult. For older movies which got a 4K scan it's probably gamma light. For newer movies which have a 2K DI it might depend on at which resolution the film was scanned, or which resolution the digical camera recorded in. So it's really difficult to tell... Maybe a good default setting would be to use gamma light for SD content and linear light for 4K content? Not sure about Blu-Ray, though...
Well even if it was downscaled in gamma light at some point, using SuperRes with linear light isn't incorrect; it'll just look like an upscaled version of the image. It might deviate from the original a bit, but that's because the downscaled version deviates from the original (because of the 'incorrect' downscaling).
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:53   #33057  |  Link
yok833

Good news Madshi !!!
I was affected by the black screen & freeze at launch with nnedi3 activated and I have found the solution to make it work (1st time for me )!!!
I was using the internal LAV filters of MPCHC and by uncheking all the internal filters and using the last Lav Filters 0.66 as external filters ..... everything work again !!!

Hope it will help the other people concerned...
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:07   #33058  |  Link

Quote:
What do you need that for?
In short:
My TV has to be in Game Mode or Graphics Mode when on the desktop. (full chroma res, low latency, but less accurate picture)
It has to be in Movie Mode when watching full-screen videos. (more accurate picture, though it drops chroma res to 4:2:2 and latency increases by ~100ms)

I don't know how or where it is specified, but the picture mode does change on the TV if it's set to auto.
On the desktop, it uses Graphics Mode, when I launch a game it enters Game Mode, if I play a video in WMP it enters General Mode.
You can manually change the Content Type in the NVIDIA Control Panel, and Movie Mode/Photo Mode also work; though I've not seen it switch to them automatically.

With JRiver using madVR though, I get:
  • Windowed Mode: Graphics Mode
  • FSW Mode: Game Mode
  • FSE Mode: Graphics Mode
With HDMI-CEC control to switch the TV off/on when Windows sleeps/wakes the display, the only thing I use the TV remote for now is to switch modes.
If madVR could control the Content Type reported to the TV (I've no idea if this is possible) then it could switch the TV into Movie Mode when entering FSE playback and I'd never need the TV remote again.

Quote:
What color does the pillarboxing have? This sounds extremely weird. Do you have a screenshot?
It's not one color, there are images in place of blank pillarboxing.
Imagine something like this:

Or sometimes they repeat the edges of the video in the pillarbox with a gaussian blur over them, which I find very distracting. This was the first example I found on YouTube (03:50)

It is unfortunately common for videos which are, for example, commentary over 4:3 footage.
It's not something that I think madVR should be detecting and isn't, but something which could also make use of the crop and aspect ratio features via file tags.

Quote:
Oh well. Not sure what to do now.
I think it could be a useful sub-option, if you add "only clean-up cropped edges".
Instead of a toggle, perhaps that would have to be a drop-down for "clean only affected edges" (which could be 1-4 edges) and "clean edge pairs" (top & bottom, left & right).

I understand the desire to simplify the controls, but I don't think the Zoom Control options are complex, just numerous - and I think it needs that flexibility to suit everyone's preferences, or all types of content.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:09   #33059  |  Link
yok833

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Good news Madshi !!!
I was affected by the black screen & freeze at launch with nnedi3 activated and I have found the solution to make it work (1st time for me )!!!
I was using the internal LAV filters of MPCHC and by uncheking all the internal filters and using the last Lav Filters 0.66 as external filters ..... everything work again !!!

Hope it will help the other people concerned...
Hummm I have been too fast.... CUVID is the real problem that create the freeze and black screen.... using DVXA copy back in LAV fix the problem....and create it when I revert to CUVID...
(Once you change cuvid to dvxa cb it is important to kill the 2 madvr & mpchc apps open in the task manager or it will not work)

Last edited by yok833; 22nd September 2015 at 21:13.
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:23   #33060  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:

When you rename the files, you don't need to run the batch, anymore! The batch tries to rename the files, nothing else. So if you renamed the files manually, you've already done what the batch file was supposed to do. By manually renaming the files you've already activated debug mode, and you should get a debug log on your desktop.

Okay I finally understand now. Here's the log : http://www.mediafire.com/download/09...NEDI3-+log.txt . Thanks for being so patient.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling