Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2003, 22:17   #621  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Maybe you were working with movie with 0 audio delays. Have you tried Matrix Reloaded? That had audio delays of 100.
Old 10th December 2003, 22:35   #622  |  Link
E-Male
mad computer-scientist

of course it's possible that i was just lucky

don't have matrix reloaded, so can't try that
Old 11th December 2003, 00:53   #623  |  Link
robshot

ifoedit remux, problem is with vob with multiple VOBIDs and STILL VOBIDs

Here's another shot on trying to find what's wrong with ifoedit remux (if there is), and other stuff.

I've been collecting Stargate SG-1 R2 DVDs. Now I'm trying to do backups. SG-1 R2 discs are PAL, 4 eps per disc, with trailers, 4 audio tracks including director commentary for each episodes and all.
Basically 1 disc would be around 7 - 8 GB. I love MGM for not skimping .
Doing a rejig for the episodes (in VTS_01_XXX.VOB), quality v.s. filesize, would need around 85% rejig. But still it won't fit 1 DVD-R since the motion menu (uglies as they are) would take around 300mb to 400mb.

Initially i was planning on backing up 1 dual layer to 2x DVD-R. But I explored the possibilities of putting all the eps, take out the trailers and documentaries. Still there's about 500mbs overheads. So, i decided to REPLACE the motion menu with STILL MENU.

Ok, now the process:

Ifoedit remux "hates" it when there's a still VOBIDs in your movie VTSs. In SG-1 movie VTSs, the first VTS_01_1.VOB has 4 STILL VOBIDs. This need to be taken out, and i use IFOEDIT VOBID stripping. All goes well afterwards. Rejigging the 8 VTSs, then remuxing with IFOEdit, creates sync a/v. (The same thing I did with Region 1 RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - where i kind of FOUND OUT the ifoedit muxing problem lies from this STILL VOBIDs).

All set with the rejigged episodes (yeah, quality nice nice), the 300+mb overhead challenged me. They're the motion menus! This, requires MenuEDIT, VOBRATOR, VOBEDIT and REMPEG2 .

I open the VTS_01_0.VOB (the menus), and voila, 32 VOBIDs, with some has multiple CELLS.
I then open a copy of the same file with VOBRATOR, for analysis. I found the VOBIDs i wanted to take out. I extracted the VOBIDs with VOBRATOR, and REPLACE the video stream with STILL VIDEO i made using REMPEG2 (under the mpeg2 tools). This new STILL VOBID needs to be stripped of its audio, so i open VOBRATOR again, then extract that VOB without the audio. Voila, i got a perfect NEW STILL VOBID complete with Subpictures.

This NEW VOBIDs then got injected with MenuEDIT. Now, there's also issue when you want to inject CELLID. Same as above, extract the VOBID with VOBRATOR, then open the VOBID (which contains at least 2 CELLIDs) with VOBEDIT. Demux by CELLID, and you get VOB files of the CELLIDs. Insert this into MenuEdit project, and fix whatever button you need to fix with menuedit.

While this seems complicated, I think i've solved the ifoedit remuxing issue, and at the same time, i was able to find a way to replace motion menu with still menu without so much as reauthoring. the only time i need to encode is when i want to make the new STILL MENU to replace the motion menu (filesize consideration).

I don't have matrix reloaded with me to test, but some of the nasty anime DVDs i have, and the Region 1 (NTSC) discs (TNG BOX SETS), are now muxed correctly with ifoedit.

So, in short:
1 Dual-Layer PAL/NTSC with Motion Menus ---> 1 DVD-R PAL/NTSC STILL MENU:

1. ReJig (hehehe... part I)
2. IFOEdit (hehehe... part II)
3. MenuEdit (menu manipulations and pic grabber for still menu)
4. Vobrator (analysis and vobid extraction)
5. VOBEdit (demuxing by CELLID)
6. ReMpeg2 (remux still m2v to existing VOBID)
7. Any mpeg2 encoder for making still menu.

I'm thinking of making how-to, but it's already morning.

cheers
robshot
Old 11th December 2003, 01:08   #624  |  Link
robshot

for 2COOL :)

2COOL(the nick says it all),
Got a question that i haven't been able to answer after reading your many-wonderful Cheatlists

You ever encounter R2 discs where the first menu is Language options for multiple language MENUS? For example, Brotherhood of the Wolves (2 language options French and English - will reroute to specific DVD MENU in French or in English). or the MANY Stargate SG-1 Region 2 (from UK) DVDs.
Is there a way to skip this (and use english as default language menu) using IFOEdit? So far my tests failed (based on the cheatlists), so i still have to put this on the backups (but i did replace the motion menu from and after this language option, to still menu. bitbudget for backups are important factor).

cheers
robshot
Old 11th December 2003, 08:38   #625  |  Link
VILLA21

DoitFast4U 1.4.0 + Rejig

@VILLA21: Anyone tried the latest DoItFast4U with Rejig? I,always, get oversized DVD files in scenarist, around 4800Mb.

@Eyes`Only: Yeah, I don't know when they're going to have that fixed. DoItFast4U! passes the correct values to Rejig, but the output from Rejig doesn't match the size that it should with the parameters that are passed if the bitrate is low (ie. extras). Hopefully someone fixes it soon, there's nothing I can do about it.

So, is there any solution so far?
Old 11th December 2003, 13:35   #626  |  Link
E-Male
mad computer-scientist

i did some size tests and what you can take for sure is this:
no matter how compressable the source is (i took Ice Age as ideal source) going below 30% in rejig won't work, stuff hardly get's that small, so if DIF4U try to compress some high bitrate extras to very low bitrates i might cause the trauble with this
just an idea
Old 11th December 2003, 15:18   #627  |  Link
mmgrover
Custom User Text:

Hi all...

I'm still here, Just In Boston right now :-)

I havn't forgot about this!

mike
Old 12th December 2003, 11:32   #628  |  Link
dragongodz

mike - nice to hear from you.

what you must understand for high amount of compression there is a saturation point. that is a point where all quants for B frames and all coefficents etc are already being done. once that point is reached rejig can not currently do any more. yes there are ways to reduce even more such as skipped frames etc but the current engines do not support that. they are really designed for lighter compression.
Old 12th December 2003, 22:04   #629  |  Link
Fabiano

HDTV

Hi, is there a reason for Rejig not compress HDTV MPEG-2 ?

Rejig just removes stuffing but does not compress at all.

I tried 1920x1080i and 1280x720p, but no luck!
Old 13th December 2003, 10:52   #630  |  Link
Nic

An email from Makira himself (creator of the transcoding engine):

I've just read the doom9 thread. Unfortunatly, I can't reply ("You are not allowed
to post
or reply until you have been registered for at least 5 days.").

I've seen the screenshot sent by JvD. The point is, the new engine will make some
frames
look worse than the old. But it will also make bad looking frames better. In other
words,
the goal is not to have a big gain in overall psnr, but to reduce the variance of
the psnr.

So we take bits from some pictures and give them to others. This is most noticeable
with
a high motion scene followed by a very slow motion scene. With the old engine the
first
scene will look bad, but the second will be perfect. With the new engine, the first
will be
much better, at the detriment of the next. The overall quality experience should be
better.

Here's a very interesting read: "Two-pass mpeg2 vbr encoding" research paper by ibm
http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/...westerink.html

Let me quote an important part:

" Apparently, the overall visual quality of a video is rated not so much by the high
quality
of certain scenes, but more by the scenes of the lowest visual quality, the ones that
might show obvious artifacts and thus stand out."

This is the main basis for the changes between the old and new engine. That being
said,
there is a lot of room for experimentation. If I had more spare time, I would love
to clean
m2vrequantiser's code and make it easier to test different algorithms. With my current
schedule, that'll have to wait till after christmas.

Feel free to repost this on the thread, since I can't.

Regards,
Makira
Old 13th December 2003, 12:52   #631  |  Link
dragongodz

yep which just basically backs up all i said before, old engine is better quality static or slow/low motion scenes while new engine handles high motion better.

problem was that too much degradation was put on P frames and showed up blocks from them rather than the B frames (which is what the old engine suffers from). thats what my experimentation with both engines has been all about. check the old engine in my mod 3 and it looks better(less blocking) than the original and the new engine doesnt suffer from P frame blocks but loses some sizing accuracy when compressing below 70%.

i will make a couple of more slight modifications(such as upping the P frame compression level a bit) for that bit extra compression space etc. though you may have to wait for rejig 0.5 to try it out.
Old 14th December 2003, 14:34   #632  |  Link
Amnon82
Paldo-GNU/LinuxMaintainer

ReJig is no German too

Hi Guys!

Thanks to all who created ReJig!

I want to do some to get ReJig in Germany also popular like here.

So I translated it to german.

You can find the modded version on my Homepage

I used Nic's 0.4i version.

Also I found a bug. Maybe it is not ReJig's fault. (But I think so!)

I always got 'Too many frame drops' in IFOEdit 0.96.
So I started to fix it.

Here is the way to solve this problem:

Rip the DVD in IFOmode in ReJig without the subs.

Open VOBSub Configure and klick on 'Open'.
Open the IFO of the mainmovie and klick twice 'OK'.

VobSub is no indexing all subs.

Open SUB2SUP and choose the idx-file created by VOBSUB.
SUB2SUP convert now all subs to sups.

Author now Your DVD with IFOEdit with the new subs.
Now it will work.

I hope this will be fixed soon...
Old 14th December 2003, 15:46   #633  |  Link
Amnon82

Here is the BugFix 0.99a for ReJig v.0.4i-de

Download file
Old 14th December 2003, 17:13   #634  |  Link
Amnon82

Finished the german Guide

Now is the german Guide for ReJig v.0.4i-de final!

Avalon's german ReJig Guide
Old 14th December 2003, 17:46   #635  |  Link
Nic

ReJig 0.5a

Ive created a new thread for ReJig, so this one can be closed. It's too mammoth for beginners to get into and should probably be closed. Please post new posts into the ReJig 0.5 thread. Thanks

@Amnon82: Thanks for your updates & page, haven't been able to look into it properly yet for 0.5....

-Nic
Closed Thread