Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th October 2018, 00:05   #53461  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
The way you describe these makes it sound like there are huge differences between the various settings when there isn't. I've looked at all of these and the differences between NGU AA low and medium and Nnedi 16 and 32 are minor at best.
I disagree! I can see the differences mostly in high action scenes like fights or even war movies. But close fights mostly. Ofc landscapes and faces or screenshots like we see on screenshot websites several times doesnt show any differences.

Last edited by xabregas; 30th October 2018 at 00:08.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 01:44   #53462  |  Link
ryrynz

Chroma upscaling isn't affecting the picture as much as you think it is. Action scenes are not the instances where you'll see differences. You should back look through this thread for the comparison posts and screenshot yourself. Sounds like placebo.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 05:00   #53463  |  Link
HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
I disagree! I can see the differences mostly in high action scenes like fights or even war movies. But close fights mostly. Ofc landscapes and faces or screenshots like we see on screenshot websites several times doesnt show any differences.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

You'll only notice chroma difference in things like red on black texts/backgrounds, and even then the differences are minor.
HDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 07:27   #53464  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDR View Post
the differences are minor.
Depends on the scene, I've seen some quite large brightness changes on some scenes that are mostly mostly red/pink even without SuperRes enabled. Super-xbr 150 I believe is the brightest of them all.
Old 30th October 2018, 08:30   #53465  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

What can be the cause when there are a lot of repeated frames? My render queues are full and stats are around ~25ms. I read here in the thread that the 1809 update to Windows 10 could be the problem, so I rolled back to 1803 (using an older backup image). Same problems. Could it be the newest Nvidia drivers?
Old 30th October 2018, 09:43   #53466  |  Link
ryrynz

Think you'll find it's related to the refresh rate and the content you're running. Show OSD plz.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th October 2018 at 20:45.
Old 30th October 2018, 11:41   #53467  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Think you'll find it's related to the refresh rate and the content your running. Show OSD plz.
That seams more likely yes. I do have a new TV btw, so I will look into that
Old 30th October 2018, 12:30   #53468  |  Link
HDR

Quote:
Depends on the scene, I've seen some quite large brightness changes on some scenes that are mostly mostly red/pink even without SuperRes enabled. Super-xbr 150 I believe is the brightest of them all.
It cracks me up that so many people spend so much time debating/arguing about chroma.

Yes, there are differences between algorithms, but gpu usage is more wisely spent in other areas.

I use Lanczos3 and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I've compared all the algorithms extensively. It's the least important of all the scaling settings IMO.

IIRC madshi uses Bicubic 60 (the horror).
HDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 13:40   #53469  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
It cracks me up that so many people spend so much time debating/arguing about chroma.

Yes, there are differences between algorithms, but gpu usage is more wisely spent in other areas.

I use Lanczos3 and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I've compared all the algorithms extensively. It's the least important of all the scaling settings IMO.

I am still on Bicubic 75 and SoftCubic 80.

Although, I use Sharpen Complex 2 (post processing) in MPC-HC to bring out details in the picture - it works well with SoftCubic 80.
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 13:43   #53470  |  Link
huhn

so he waste time and effort on chroma only scale like reconstruct?

and even if he uses bicubic 60 why should i care and do the same?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 13:45   #53471  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I think this is true on any display. You need to disable any internal processing that converts to 4:2:2, which is what Game Mode is probably doing. On my LG OLED I don't use Game mode, I use PC mode but it is probably the same effect.
So what you are basically saying - as I don't want to misunderstand you - is that when I buy an OLED: If it doesn't have PC Mode, then I want to be using Game Mode?

On the Panasonic TX-55FZ800E, they have arranged it so nicely, that Game Mode can be used on any picture mode.
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 14:11   #53472  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Show OSD plz.
Here is my OSD. It seams in order now, but i still get repeated frames when I pause og restart the video, but I guess that is normal.

https://imgur.com/a/rQYyGEO
Old 30th October 2018, 15:36   #53473  |  Link
XMonarchY

Any alpha/test builds of madVR Photoshop plugins planned for 2018 or even 2019? They would be SOO awesome! For example, current Photoshop tools that can de-noise well always leave ringing, which in itself, is pretty much noise. MadVR has excellent anti-noise WITH anti-ringing capabilities! I bet madshi could straight up sell madVR Photoshop plugins to Adobe for some $100K+!
Old 30th October 2018, 16:44   #53474  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
The way you describe these makes it sound like there are huge differences between the various settings when there isn't. I've looked at all of these and the differences between NGU AA low and medium and Nnedi 16 and 32 are minor at best. NGU AA is a better chroma upscaler performance to quality wise than NNEDI3 is. I liked it but it was never worth it to have it set beyond 32 neurons. I'll happily upload comparisons showing NGU AA medium doing an overall better job than NNEDI3. This is why it was removed after all and I was a big fan of it up until it was removed.
I'd be curious to see NGU AA (on chroma) low vs medium. I'd like to reduce my settings from medium to low for less fan noise

Last edited by JarrettH; 30th October 2018 at 16:49.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 18:47   #53475  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
The way you describe these makes it sound like there are huge differences between the various settings when there isn't. I've looked at all of these and the differences between NGU AA low and medium and Nnedi 16 and 32 are minor at best. NGU AA is a better chroma upscaler performance to quality wise than NNEDI3 is. I liked it but it was never worth it to have it set beyond 32 neurons. I'll happily upload comparisons showing NGU AA medium doing an overall better job than NNEDI3. This is why it was removed after all and I was a big fan of it up until it was removed.
This is why it was removed for chroma upscaling but not completely. I think there is a good reason to prefer it for image upscaling in some situations as I explained some posts before.
For chroma upscaling I use Super XBR and I don't think I need anything better.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 20:48   #53476  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
Here is my OSD. It seams in order now, but i still get repeated frames when I pause og restart the video, but I guess that is normal.
Yeah that's looking good, you could reduce the queues unless for some reason you need them that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
This is why it was removed for chroma upscaling but not completely.
Partially because it used OpenCL and madshi didn't really want it in madVR any more, but NGU AA was created to replace NNEDI3 and although it's not as sharp it does handle edges better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
I'd be curious to see NGU AA (on chroma) low vs medium. I'd like to reduce my settings from medium to low for less fan noise
You wouldn't notice the difference in motion, what you will find is that the color graduation will be smoother due to more sample points? and I find there is less ringing with higher settings.
Take a look along the edges of the folds of the cloak, especially the color graduation of bottom middle fold.

NGU AA low vs Medium Bear in mind this is enlarged 300%.

The jump from NGU AA low to medium is greater than medium to high, personally I prefer medium as my base quality setting but it's relatively minor at the end of the day. I say change it to low and be happy with the lower noise.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th October 2018 at 22:07.
Old 30th October 2018, 21:06   #53477  |  Link
huhn

there is a shader version of nnedi3.
Old 30th October 2018, 21:22   #53478  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Yeap, and if you enable adaptativesharpness by any reason it will be even brightest. Super Xbr is good but the brightness is a problem for me as green is not green anymore. everything green looks like sativa or lettuce. Back to nnedi3 again

Quote:

Im tempted in returning to Lanczo or Spline with adaptativesharpen enabled. But im not sure.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 21:31   #53479  |  Link
huhn

not what an chroma scaler has to do with adaptive sharpening and you should really read what ryrynz said.

and a chroma scaler will never turn something white is literal impossible.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:03   #53480  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
you could reduce the queues unless for some reason you need them that high.
I had my queue sizes at 8, but I got a lot of dropped frames. That went away when I put them higher. Why that is, I don't know.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling