Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th March 2007, 21:23   #521  |  Link
hdboy

well, just want to say a big THANKS to Haali for the renderer (using the one that comes with 07/03/07 splitter.

my setup: gigabyte 7600GT forceware 93.81, AMD X2 3800+ @2.5ghz, MPC celtic_druid latest build, 21" LCD PC monitor primary, philips plasma 1366x768 secondary, dualview, winXP SP2

I struggled a long time to get MPC to work with VMR9, but playback is never quite smooth. I can use overlay, but certain things don't work. In particular, some filters just don't want to output to 2nd monitor with overlay. So I keep switching renderer depending on what I'm playing.

Now with Haali, it's all good. Handles everything I throw at it -- ripped EVO and m2ts, 1080i mpeg2 ts, 1080p quicktime h264 trailer. Playback is as smooth as overlay, and no real difference in CPU usage. I haven't noticed the jaggies others talk about; I'll try to stare at it more closely.

Only bug so far I've found is when I set MPC to change res when going full screen, it freezes when I switches to full screeen (okay with overlay and vmr9). And I don't see any difference with sharpness 0 or -1 (is -1 sharpest or 0 sharpest?)

My requests: have the "show OSD" box be sticky so it doesn't have to be set each time (good for testing). also, have some kind of version # in the renderer dialog.

again, a big thanks. Oh, and the latest splitter is great for HD too
hdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 11:47   #522  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

It doesn't actually sharpen, it only performs softer or sharper resizing. Since it seems your video is mainly as larger or larger than your screen resolution, you won't really be affected by the sharpness parameter. (Downsize modes are barely differentiable.) When upsizing DVD or smaller you'd see it right away.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 08:11   #523  |  Link
sundansx

I am using Zoomplayer 5 with the newest Nvidia Decoder and the Haali Video Renderer (HVR 1.7.100.18).
Details:
AMD X2 4200
Nvidia 7800GT video card
2Gig memory
Nvidia Video Drv 93.71
NVidia 223 Decoder (HW accel, Automatic DELCont, Best Available DIL mode, 1 tick on edge sharp, adp pix del on)
Zoomplayer 5
Bad movies showing this problem: A scanner darkly, Alien Vs. Predator

When playing a DVD to HVR in this setup, and moving back to the main menu of the DVD. There is no video displayed. When I select root menu again, it is displayed. Tried this on my HTPC (6600GT with Purvideo decoder v185, Zoom4) with older drivers...same thing. Tried both computers with overlay and VRM9..no problems.
I also noticed some intermittant zoom crashes (really a freeze), while playing DVDs, but I will consider that a seperate problem that needs more investigation to quantify it.
For S&G I tried the 7800GT setup with intervideo and powerdvd decoders and it doesn't seem to have a problem with HVR.

Have others run into this? Is the cause of this known?
thanks for any help, and thanks to Haali for your generous contributions. Great work.

Last edited by sundansx; 12th March 2007 at 08:32.
sundansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 18:44   #524  |  Link
aydc

Feature Request: Brightness, Gamma and Saturation controls. Shouldn't be too hard to add, and it's absolutely needed since Haali Renderer disables VMR color controls found in most players.
aydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 02:10   #525  |  Link
Haali

Btw, if you force AA in your drivers, the renderer can fail to work properly, so don't do that and force AA only in specific apps that don't support the setting.
Haali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 04:31   #526  |  Link
Keepitsimple

haali how about adding the option of using different resizers .

what does the sharpening 0-1 do? As I understand you use bicubic resizing at the moment. How do you make bicubic sharpen in so many steps?
Keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 10:18   #527  |  Link
aydc

After a quick comparison of ffdshow's resizing with lanzcos method to Haali's resizing (I don't know what method it uses), I can see that lanzcos is a bit sharper by default. If you select maximum sharpness with ffdshow lanzcos, it is much much much sharper than Haali Renderer's maximum sharpness.

So much sharpness isn't good for low and middle quality DivX movies, so Haali's maximum is good enough there. In high quality DVD's however, maximum sharpness resizing with Lanzcos gives an incredible image quality that looks very close to HD movies. So I use ffdshow resizing + VMR9 with DVDs, and Haali for everything else.

Last edited by aydc; 14th March 2007 at 11:06.
aydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 19:16   #528  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydc View Post
After a quick comparison of ffdshow's resizing with lanzcos method to Haali's resizing (I don't know what method it uses), I can see that lanzcos is a bit sharper by default. If you select maximum sharpness with ffdshow lanzcos, it is much much much sharper than Haali Renderer's maximum sharpness.

So much sharpness isn't good for low and middle quality DivX movies, so Haali's maximum is good enough there. In high quality DVD's however, maximum sharpness resizing with Lanzcos gives an incredible image quality that looks very close to HD movies. So I use ffdshow resizing + VMR9 with DVDs, and Haali for everything else.
Haali renderer uses Bicubic resizing, which is by default in ffdshow is much blurier than Lanczos. Also take note that Lanczos can use different number of taps, which affects it's quality (and artefacts). Bicubic in theory can be done very sharp (and very bad in quality ). Note that Haali uses one combined parameter (A), similar to vdub implementation, whilst e.g. AVS version uses both vars a and b, so you can easily oversharpen in avs using bicubic rezisor (it is recommended that 2*a+b=1, else you over- or under- sharpen video, with with equation >1 or <1 respectively).

Last edited by Egh; 18th March 2007 at 19:19.
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2007, 05:17   #529  |  Link
dumbuser

I tried the newest Haali splitter today (7/3/2007 version 1.7.100.18). I find that the seeking issue in MPEG TS is still unresolved. Seeking within a standard MPEG 2 format leaves the audio way in front of the video. As long as you don't seek the sinc between audio and video is normal.

I also tried h.264 in a MPEG TS container using x264 and still don't have recognition of these files (the Haali splitter for TS shows no video pin output). The audio (ac3) is normal.

Graph Edit and WMP 11 was used for the tests. Not my favorite players but allows realistic results. The decoders on my system are CoreAVC 1.1.0.5 and WinDVD 7.

MPC (using Gabest's internal TS splitter) continues to play these files properly.
dumbuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 17:30   #530  |  Link
3ngel

I have to signal another bug.
With latest version Mkv + x264 + audio + subtitles, MPC after opening the .mkv freezes.
What does it happen?
Using vsfilter for subtitles.
3ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 20:13   #531  |  Link
Unearthly
Encoder in Training

Hello. First I'd like to say that I really like Haali's renderer so far. The resizing is very good and the IQ overall looks better than what I usually use (VMR9).

However, I have encountered a bug and I wondered if anyone else has any idea as to it (I searched this thread but was unable to find anything).

When I do a resize using either FFDShow filter Resize or using the AVISynth filter and using one (I used Lanczos), Haali zooms in on the picture rather than resize. It seems that it is only rendering the original amount of pixels rather than increasing the render size. So if I resize something from 640x480 to 1280x960 I see 640x480 of the new 1280x960 image. This happens whether the resize is default when loaded or changed during playback.

It does, however, work if I put the avisynth filters into a avs script and then load that with MPC. However, that is less convenient than using FFDShow as I need to rewrite the script for every video I want to watch.

Anyone have any ideas behind this behavior?
Unearthly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 02:06   #532  |  Link
roflrofl

Hoping someone can help me with this bug I'm experiencing..

My setup:

Amd X2 4200
1gb DDR
7900gs 256

Dual Display : 19" CRT and 32" LG 32LC2DB HDTV

MPC
Nvidia Purevideo
CoreAVC
Haali's Renderer
FFDshow

Basically when watching HD .TS files with Haali's renderer and any decoder, eg ffdshow or purevideo..when I try to watch them on my LCD tv the "jitter" in MPC shoots up and keeps going until the audio and video is horribly out of sync..the annoying thing is that if I watch them on my CRT monitor with the same codecs and settings the sync is fine.

Anyone else have this bug?
roflrofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 09:25   #533  |  Link
3ngel

Quote:
Basically when watching HD .TS [....] the audio and video is horribly out of sync
Same here and already signalled. Sometime it shows up even in DVD with BOB deinterlacing.

EDIT:
@Haali
Even if i'm always critic i think you're doing a good job

Last edited by 3ngel; 21st March 2007 at 10:00.
3ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:30   #534  |  Link
Seb.26
20-35 a win for Revolver.

Hi world !

I have saw a strange thing yesterday : I've got a video file ( .IFO ) that everytime I try to play it, the max frames number is blocked to 4 ( the minimum ) ... if I change it, and them re-open the HR properties page, it's back to 4 ... but all other files are OK ( I use 50 as setting ) ...

Is this a known bug ?! ...
Seb.26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 00:14   #535  |  Link
Haali

In DVD graphs queue size is limited to the minimum, otherwise interactive menus are impossible to use.
Old 23rd March 2007, 00:26   #536  |  Link
roflrofl

Haali,

Is there any way of fixing the bug where the audio will gradually lose sync with the video on .TS files
roflrofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 02:37   #537  |  Link
Haali

A/V sync does not really depend on the renderer. In DShow framework A/V sync is achieved by using Presentation TimeStamps (PTS) that are attached to each frame. When the renderer receives a frame, it calls a DShow supplied function to wait until the frame PTS occurs, and then displays the frame. These PTS are produced by the splitter filter, and are possibly augmented by decoder filters, so if A/V sync is wrong, then it is caused by wrong PTS in most cases (In other cases the renderer simply can't keep up and lags behind real time). If you have a sample that reliably reproduces improper A/V sync, please send it to me, I'll try to figure what's wrong with it.

Last edited by Haali; 23rd March 2007 at 02:39.
Old 23rd March 2007, 14:59   #538  |  Link
Vepar

I discovered very strange thing.

Playing any movie with mpc+ffdshow+haali_r frozes my entire PC. It is not BSOD or restart just everything freezes after random play time. This only happens with haali renderer while vmr7/9 works just fine.

The most strange thing is that it worked fine on my previous machine which was athlon 2600 + gf 660gt agp while the new system have athlon64 x2 3800 + gf 7600gt pci-e.

any ideas anyone?
Vepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 14:45   #539  |  Link
MatMaul

your renderer seems to do not support AR changing in a middle of a stream.
I join a TS capture where you can see the problem.
MatMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 02:14   #540  |  Link
anonova

Is there a way to get the Haali Renderer to work with video acceleration with the PureVideo decoder?
In VMR9, PureVideo states this.
Quote:
Decoder Format
DirectX VA mode A (idct)
Video mixing (DirectX 9)
With the Haali Renderer it states this.
Quote:
Decoder Format
Software Mode YUY2
Undefined Renderer
Would this also be the cause of MPC crashing when I try to load a single vob by itself using the Haali Renderer?
anonova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haali, haali renderer