Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 11th July 2002, 15:05   #1  |  Link
shuurajou

A Few Subtitle Problems/Questions

I'm currently following doom9's guide on ripping from a DVD, and putting perminent subtitles into an avi file using vobsub & GKnot 26. However...

When I get into the state of creating an avs file from the d2v project file, I can see in the preview that at certain parts there is disortion around the subtitles (it does go after a while though). I know that this isn't a problem with the source as i've checked that the subtitles were clean.

I'm not too sure how to fix this problem, i've tried a few different things (turning on off filters, smoothing etc), nothing seems to have helped.

I personally would love to change the font of the subtitles as it's pretty ugly, but I can't find a tutorial on how to do this AND perminently encode these subtitles into the final product.

Thanks for any help in advance.
shuurajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 13:17   #2  |  Link
shuurajou

Well... Since nobody has managed to give a hand here, I've hunted around some more and managed to get hold of some Encoders I know of, and they had the solution. So i'm gunna type it here for anyone else who might of had the same problem as I did.

What you need to do, is to open the file with vobsub as you originally do. Then open the *.sub file it produces with SubResync. Save that as an ssa file, then open it up with Sub Station Alpha. Do whatever you'd like to do to the subtitles in there. Then (Assuming you've got the subtitle plugin for virtual dub, if you don't it's on their website) encode away .
shuurajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2002, 21:13   #3  |  Link
yoshikunai

I've had distortion (strangely colored junk noise) around subtitles before, usually when the background the subtitles are on is white or yellow. Apparently this is something that only happens to vobsub in YUY2, so the solution is to ConvertToRGB() in your avisynth script before using the vobsub filter (and ConvertToYUY2() afterwards), or using the vobsub filter within virtualdub. I haven't had an occurence of the distortion since I've been doing that. But I'm trying to move on to soft-subtitles now anyway .

Hope that helps.
yoshikunai is offline   Reply With Quote