Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th January 2002, 07:30   #1  |  Link
Dionysus

autorun CD for Divx

I am trying to still figure this Autorun stuff out. I can configure all the tabs etc and then SAVE AS... to get my .ini file. Then once I'm done that what the heck do i do?? When I go to burn my cd do I drag over the autorun.ini and the autorun.exe?? here's my next question, when saving the .ini file do I leave it as autorun.ini & autorun.exe or can I change them to the name of my movie?

thanx ppl.
Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 11:29   #2  |  Link
cofferscuffs
uber-toddler!

Which autorun are you using? Yes you can change the name of autorun.exe (NOT autorun.ini)... but it's not reccomended. If you do do it, remember to change the autorun.ini accordingly. I've had problems with it when I've changed it, doesn't always run.
Old 7th January 2002, 12:36   #3  |  Link
Keep Looking

Divx Autorun.. get this sweet menu program

If you want to create awesome/ professional looking menus get this awesome free tool - Quick Menu Builder (http://quickmenubuilder.free.fr/Menu.php3)
You can make autorun menus to play movies.. (or anything really) it allows you to install codecs.. or run any file from the cd you put on it.. check out the site and the demos of actual movie menus.. its really surprisingly easy to use

btw - this sounds like an advistisement but its not.. ive been searching for a cool menu system like this for ages and thought i should let everyone know about it.. if anyone knows of one thats better - and at the same time easy to use because i don't want to spend all my time making menus then post it here!
Keep Looking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 18:39   #4  |  Link
Dionysus

BTW I'm using compact disc autorun. Well now I've got a different problem. When I'm done burning the movie and then I go to play it it doesn't automatically play with the picture and stuff that I've burnt onto the disc. I have to manually go into my e: and then double click on autorun program for anything to actually happen. Which is really no more saving me time than before cuz why open the program just to see the picture when I can double clikc on the movie and not worry about seeing a picture. So i'm curious as to why it doesn't automatically load up like it's suppose to.

thanx.

also, to the guy who last responded, are those menus that are displayed there, are they there to download as your own menu and/or can you actually make them look like that fairly easily. Cuz I really like the way that they look so...

Last edited by Dionysus; 7th January 2002 at 18:45.
Old 7th January 2002, 23:32   #5  |  Link
mustaneekeri

It sounds to me u haven't got AUTORUN.INF file in ur CD root folder. U can create this in CDAutorun - settings menu.
So u need atleast 4 files for autorun to work: AUTORUN.EXE, AUTORUN.INI, AUTORUN.INF and .AVI file containing the movie.

Do not change filename of AUTORUN.EXE because ther's a line in AUTORUN.INF that executes (or autoruns) a program called AUTORUN.EXE

And (like Doom9 allways says) last but not least: Get a CD-RW disk and burn a testcopy to it first.

Last edited by mustaneekeri; 8th January 2002 at 22:12.
mustaneekeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 23:33   #6  |  Link
xzquala

3 files

there are three files necessary for autorun to work.

autorun.inf (this is what the system looks for, points to autorun.exe)

autorun.exe (this is the menu program, looks for autorun.ini for settings)

autorun.ini (this has all the custom settings, points to software, avi, bitmap for the image...yada, yada, yada)

edit: if you change the name of autorun.exe, make sure you edit autorun.inf to match. I don't think there is a way to change the name of autorun.ini without hacking the autorun.exe file.
Old 7th January 2002, 23:36   #7  |  Link
xzquala

D'oh

apparantly I type too slow today, damn cold fingers.
Old 7th January 2002, 23:46   #8  |  Link
xzquala

Re: Divx Autorun.. get this sweet menu program

Quote:
Originally posted by Keep Looking
If you want to create awesome/ professional looking menus get this awesome free tool - Quick Menu Builder (http://quickmenubuilder.free.fr/Menu.php3)
it looks nice, but too bad it doesn't come with any default images, one good thing though, it does run without a "window" around it, making it look very professional. maybe I will build some button sets for it.

EDIT: hrmm... you can't actually use images for your buttons? this won't work too well for those dvd with dark or black covers. but it is something to keep in mind

Last edited by xzquala; 7th January 2002 at 23:56.
xzquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2002, 23:50   #9  |  Link
Dionysus

xzquala

but when you do do an autorun program for it, you can load the image etc and then buttons etc. or do you have to be a wizz to make them look like hte examples on the website, cuz I'd much rather use that then this one I'm using. So can I make it look like those examples on the website.?

To the rest;

how come my .inf file has nothing in it?? it's got 0 kb or is it that small that nothing will show for it?? I just tried to burn it and everything else works fine but not the .inf file. I go to create INF, in the settings and then I dont' know what to do from there. so if someone could give me directions on what to do when I go into SETTINGS, CREATE INF and from there.

thanx.

Last edited by Dionysus; 8th January 2002 at 00:04.
Old 8th January 2002, 00:09   #10  |  Link
Dionysus

sorry guys but I think I've got it this time. post the answer to my previous question if you don't mind just so I know I got it cuz I'm not going to burn again until I have a cd-rw cuz so far I've gone through 5 cd's trying this thing so hopefully someone will have posted before I go buy a cd-rw

thanx guys

scratch that ppl. I was just saving it to a different spot and just didn't realise it. Thanx for your time. I GOT IT!!!! :-)

Last edited by Dionysus; 8th January 2002 at 00:16.
Old 8th January 2002, 00:57   #11  |  Link
xzquala

nah

its not going to make you any graphics or pretty buttons.

you have to do it all manually in photoshop or something like that. really too bad tho.
Old 8th January 2002, 06:28   #12  |  Link
Dionysus

POS

k get this, as soon as I started getting unreal amount of help, thanx to all once again, it works. So I decide that I can tell everyone that I figured it out and so I burn the CD it works awesome, couldn't be better. I go to burn it again and now I can't get an .inf file. The first one was like some 200+ kb and now this one is only 1kb of size so i dont' know what the hell is going on and nothing seems to be working. It comes up with a warning when it tries to autorun it.

Windows has encountered the following when trying to execute the following:

then it just lists E: Fast and The Furious.avi etc.

But when i go try to manually do it I have to explore the cd inorder to open it. I hope someone out there has some suggestions. Thanx once again.
Old 8th January 2002, 13:28   #13  |  Link
sierrafoxtrot
asleep for far too long

if you change the name of autorun.exe, make sure that name change is reflected in autorun.inf (you can open autorun.inf by right click in explorer, and edit. it should point to autorun.exe, and if it doesn't ... well, there's you're problem). i recommend you leave the names alone.

what i've found to be helpful is to create a folder X on your HDD with the contents of the CD to be burned (ie avi file, divx codecs and autorun.inf, autorun.exe and autorun.ini). running autorun.inf from within that folder allows you to check the validity of your buttons etc. if everything pans out okay, then burn the contents of folder X and/or subfolders using nero, making sure that the root folder on the cd is folder X.

hope this helps ...
sierrafoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2002, 01:42   #14  |  Link
Keep Looking

Quick Menu Builder - how to use

It takes a few minutes of playing around to get it to work but once you do its pretty cool. The way to create buttons is to create 2 images of the cover.. (which you can scan or download off the net) on the first cover you make the buttons you want (simply make it in photoshop directly onto the cover)of how you want the menu to look initially.. then change the buttons on the second image to look how you want it to after the mouse goes over it. It works similar to a mouse over event on a webpage. Then in the program you simply select the images to use, what areas of the picture are buttons and assign an action to it. It really is very simple once you know how to do it. Then you can assign open sounds, mouseover sounds, onclick sounds and a background sound (i usually download the best song (in mp3 format)from the soundtrack and use that..

It really is quite easy.. i introduced a friend to it and he is making the menus quite easliy and he doesn't have much computer knowledge

If you are proficient in image editing and are creative you can create very professional menus fairly easily... it just depends how much time you want to spend on it..

The demos on the site are user submitted. After you install the program, you should download one you like ( eg Wallace & Grommit) and play around with the settings to see how its all done
NOTE: When downloading from the site - you may have to rename some files from zip to qmb - if you open it as a zip file it will contain all the files.. but it will not be configured in QMB and will not work

I will post a simple menu I made fairly quickly, when i get home from work just to give you an idea of what you can do. It isn't anything as fancy as the others.. i mean im not a graphic artist and i don't have the time to fiddle too much

Cheers

Last edited by Keep Looking; 9th January 2002 at 04:53.
Keep Looking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2002, 07:54   #15  |  Link
Dionysus

okay I'm going to give you guys the run down on how I'm doing this an dyou can correct it if you think I'm doing anything wrong.

So I open it up and I load the .jpg whatever and do the Play Movie icon. That's the easy stuff. Then what? I have to CREATE INF... so that loads and I'm suppose to click on what is going to be the default etc then do I click on Save to current directory or do I Save As. Then that gives me my .inf file right? then after that's all done I click on Save to current directory. And I'm done right. Okay so everything is in one folder, as I was told to name that folder, X. So here's what's in folder x:

.jpg
autorun.exe
autorun.ini
autorun.inf
movie.avi

And then when I burn it I just load all five things into the burn process and it should work, right??

So I do all that and after I'm done burning it tells me that

windows encountered an error executing the following:
File to execute: E:\movie.avi
Parameters: movie.avi
base directory: E:

I've done already and it worked fine but everything after that has given me this message.

Hope someone knows what the hells goin on on this end.

thanx ppl.