Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th May 2005, 09:22   #1  |  Link
DanielSun

Something about TEMPO & PITCH !

i was looking for some way of converting PAL-DTS into NTSC-DTS.
After doing some search job, i got some clue.
but there still are some questions:

Because my mother-language isn't english,i got some problem of understanding the term of : tempo & pitch

and in my opinion:

TEMPO refers to the speed of the sound, as well as
PITCH refers to the timbre of the sound.

am i right?

a covertion of PAL-DTS to NTSC-DTS should cause a tempo loss (speed down)of the original sound,right?
and this convertion can be done with or without changing the PITCH of the sound,right?(like "-ota" or "-soundtouch" in besweet)

and here is another question:

a tempo change without changing the pitch using besweet "-soundtouch" option,is lossy or lossless?why?

Many thanks and please forgive my crap english!

Greetings!
DanielSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2005, 11:45   #2  |  Link
violao

Re: Something about TEMPO & PITCH !

Quote:
Originally posted by DanielSun
TEMPO refers to the speed of the sound, as well as
PITCH refers to the timbre of the sound.
TEMPO is speed, or better to say the frequency of the beats of the rhythm and TIMBRE is defined by harmonic characteristics of the certain sound, like the proportion of different harmonics (in my language we use the word "color"), while the PITCH is nothing more than it's base frequency.

Conversion NTSC->PAL has the inevitable effect of slowing down tempo, because NTSC movie is in fact longer and it can be done with or without pitch shift.

AFAIK any time-based sound conversion is lossy, since it involves resampling. The software must interpolate the values at the time instants that don't exist in the original. However the quality of mentioned resamplers are quite high, so there's nothing to worry about.
violao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2005, 16:57   #3  |  Link
DanielSun

Re: Re: Something about TEMPO & PITCH !

Quote:
Originally posted by violao
TEMPO is speed, or better to say the frequency of the beats of the rhythm and TIMBRE is defined by harmonic characteristics of the certain sound, like the proportion of different harmonics (in my language we use the word "color"), while the PITCH is nothing more than it's base frequency.

Conversion NTSC->PAL has the inevitable effect of slowing down tempo, because NTSC movie is in fact longer and it can be done with or without pitch shift.

AFAIK any time-based sound conversion is lossy, since it involves resampling. The software must interpolate the values at the time instants that don't exist in the original. However the quality of mentioned resamplers are quite high, so there's nothing to worry about.
Thank you very much for your reply!

And here is another stupid problem:

My besweet1.5b29 simply doesn't work!

I simply unzipped the files and put the GUIs into the same folder as besweet.
But when i did a AC3->AC3 convertion , it told me it can not get ac3enc interface!

=====================================================================

BeSweet v1.5b29 by DSPguru.
--------------------------
Using azid.dll v1.9 (b922) by Midas (midas@egon.gyaloglo.hu).
Using Shibatch.dll v0.24 by Naoki Shibata & DSPguru (shibatch.sourceforge.net).
Error 73: Unable to get ac3enc.dll interfaces
Quiting...
[00:00:00:000] Conversion Completed !
Old 9th May 2005, 20:48   #4  |  Link
violao

If you're using wizard mode I believe it tries to find dlls in some subdir. In any case for ac3 encoding better try latest headac3che (can be found on needful things site) or some other ac3 encoder cause original ac3enc.dll is known to have some volume problems and they are reported to be solved in latest headac3che.
Old 10th May 2005, 13:58   #5  |  Link
DanielSun

In my case,i was doing a PAL AC3->NTSC AC3,can i use the tool you've mentioned up there?
Old 10th May 2005, 18:46   #6  |  Link
violao

Of course you can, but first stretch wav audio with besweet -ota or sounstretch. If it's mono you'll need azid + sounstretch, stereo can be processed with besweet and if it's 6ch you'll need to convert to 6 mono wavs and stretch them individually prior to encoding.
Old 11th May 2005, 01:42   #7  |  Link
DanielSun

Quote:
Originally posted by violao
Of course you can, but first stretch wav audio with besweet -ota or sounstretch. If it's mono you'll need azid + sounstretch, stereo can be processed with besweet and if it's 6ch you'll need to convert to 6 mono wavs and stretch them individually prior to encoding.
I'll try that later.
thank u very much!