Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 13th June 2004, 15:26   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit v0.1

[EDIT: PgcEdit v7.0 has been released. See this thread.]

I wrote PgcEdit for me, but I finally decided to release it as GPL free software. So it's here.

The main purpose of PgcEdit is to allow an easyer editing of the PGC commands than with IfoEdit... but I have added some functions that I find useful. Just try it to see.
There is a short documentation (in english or french) along with the program, and on my homepage.

Download PgcEdit here.

Have fun!

The current PgcEdit version is discussed here: PgcEdit 0.5

Old PgcEdit discussion threads:

Last edited by r0lZ; 22nd April 2006 at 10:39.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2004, 17:37   #2  |  Link
jorel

hy r0lZ,thanks for PgcEdit, seems very cool! the Options/Install menu are great too.
Old 14th June 2004, 05:14   #3  |  Link
$$$

r0lZ, this software is extremely cool, so many really useful features.. could have saved me hours of ifoediting. Big thanks for sharing it with us! I'm sure, this will become a classic soon.

$
$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2004, 08:37   #4  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

v0.1.1 is alerady here!

Oops! Last minute bug fix: Cut/Paste PGC Color Table was broken. Fixed in v0.1.1, available on my homepage.

Thanks for the feedback, folks!
Old 14th June 2004, 10:13   #5  |  Link
ac-chan123

@ r0lZ:
Please use filename with version data. Nobody know wich Version can be downloaded.
ac-chan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2004, 11:03   #6  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by ac-chan123
@ r0lZ:
Please use filename with version data. Nobody know wich Version can be downloaded.
The version on my site is always the latest. You can see the version number in the version history text file, also on the site.
If I put the version number in the filename, I need to modify the links, and that could not be automated. But I will think about...
Old 14th June 2004, 15:40   #7  |  Link
burnout
Legend

thanx for the app m8, seems very useful and i'm sure i will put it to good use
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2004, 08:28   #8  |  Link
$$$

r0lZ, in case you are interested in enhancement requests... I have one for you

How about including a feature to add a menu, i.e. adding a PGC but not replacing existing ones? It kind of works in IfoEdit as you can increase the number of menus within a language unit. However, the newly generated PGC will have some arbitrary attributes one would have to clean up first.

This feature would be useful especially within the VMG domain e.g. to add additional title jumps I can refer to from any titleset or menu PGC.

$
Old 15th June 2004, 10:58   #9  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

This is the right place (for now) to post enhancement requests, bug reports, feedback and kind words. Thanks in advance! I will probably continue developping PgcEdit, but don't expect a quick evolution of the software: I have a big garden, and, for now, the sun in shining here

Quote:
Originally posted by $$$
How about including a feature to add a menu, i.e. adding a PGC but not replacing existing ones?
Interesting idea, but not so easy to implement. Of course, it may be possible to create a new blank PGC, but the user will need to rely on IfoEdit to complete the editing.
Maybe in the next release...
Old 15th June 2004, 15:20   #10  |  Link
dvdnew

I downloaded the windows version, but it doesn't display anything, the process uses 99% CPU.

A wild guess is that it needs a C: drive, my system doesn't have a C: drive, the system drive is H:, can this be the problem?

EDIT: Confirmed, I put a removable drive that Windows find as C: then I can run the program without problems

Last edited by dvdnew; 15th June 2004 at 15:58.
dvdnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2004, 19:11   #11  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Strange problem, dvdnew! Difficult to debug because my system drive is C:! And the problem may be caused by Windows, or Tcl/Tk.

Have you already had such a problem with other softwares?
Which version of Windows are you running?
Does PgcEdit still freeze now? (The default paths are saved with the configuration, and this could solve the problem.)

[EDIT]
Don't botter. Bug found and fixed in v0.1.2. Will be soon available.

Last edited by r0lZ; 15th June 2004 at 20:51.
Old 15th June 2004, 21:52   #12  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit v0.1.2 is here.

PgcEdit v0.1.2 is here.

Hi $$$!
New PGC utility: create a blank PGC.

Hi dvdnew!
The problem starting PgcEdit without a C: drive is fixed.

Thanks for your help.
Old 16th June 2004, 11:03   #13  |  Link
$$$

Quote:
Hi $$$!
New PGC utility: create a blank PGC.
How kind of you, r0lZ, thanks so much for your immediate response! I often like to add new titles (like second disc bonus features) to my DVD backups and with this feature the navigational part can now easily be added without messing up the existing VMG logic, great!

Very interesting to see that you also allow to create a new PGC in the title domain. I am just wondering which adjustments in the IFOs would be required to combine this feature with jsoto's AddChapter allowing me to add a custom cell to the newly created PGC. Is there any expert here who would know?

$
Old 16th June 2004, 14:31   #14  |  Link
[Toff]

I wanted to try PgcEdit but only thing I get is the Console window showing this message : Error sourcing /Tcl/work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl: can not find channel named "unable to open key: Le fichier spécifié est introuvable."

I've placed pgcedit.exe in C:\Program Files\PgcEdit
My config : French W2K SP4, Athlon ThunderBird 1Ghz, free space available on HD, logged has administrator.

Any idea of what's going wrong? or anything I could try ?
Old 16th June 2004, 19:28   #15  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

@[Toff]
Maybe Win2K? I have XP Pro SP1.

One guess: It seems to be a problem with the standalone executable. Indeed, /Tcl/work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl is a pseudo directory used internally by the wrapped PgcEdit. I suppose thus that you are using the standalone version (PgcEdit.exe).

It may be useful to test the problem with the source files. You will need to install the PgcEdit sources (just extract them in any directory, keeping the directory structure), and download FreeWrap 5.61 here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freewrap/
Extract FreeWrap.exe and tclpip84.dll in a directory, and RENAME FreeWrap.exe to, for example, WishRun.exe. (The rename is really needed.) Then, launch PgcEdit.tcl and, when asked which app you want to use to open TCL files, select WishRun.exe.
Maybe this will fix the problem.

Please keep me informed.
Old 16th June 2004, 20:40   #16  |  Link
[Toff]

I've tried FreeWrap 5.61 but without success.
When I open the tcl source file the console window just hide, but nothing show then, it hang, I need to kill the interpreter to end it.

Though I got it to run by installing the full ActiveTcl and by double-clicking pgcedit.tcl in my explorer.
Strangely it hang the same way if I start wish and load the tcl source file manually.

After putting some debug message, I've narrowed the guilty line :
Code:
# Full path is needed for FreeWrap
if {[info exists ::freewrap::progname]} {
	set config(apppath) "/Tcl/work/PGCEDIT"
	if {$::tcl_platform(platform) == "windows"} {
		# !!! IT HANG HERE, ON NEXT LINE !!! <-----------X
		source $config(apppath)/lib/winshellext.tcl
	}
} else {
	set config(apppath) "[file dirname $argv0]"
}
This is when started from wish manually.

EDIT : In fact this last problem is only when i use freewrap as a wish interpreter, using the interpreter from ActiveTcl it works if I make the pgcedit directory the current directory first.

Last edited by [Toff]; 17th June 2004 at 09:39.
[Toff] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2004, 23:00   #17  |  Link
smoof

This is slightly off topic...

Does anyone know of a tool that allows you to single step through the pre/post commands of a PGC? The idea is that you would see each command, press a button and then see what the result of that command is. Sort of like a single stepping through code with a SW debugger.

Using this tool it should then be easy to follow the navigation of DVD startup, menus, etc... I usually edit PGC commands to skip over things I don't want to see and it's usually pretty straight forward. A simple trick is to change all post commands to pre commands. However, I've run into a few DVD's that are much more complex than what I'm used to and have run into trouble trying to bypass stuff. A good example is trying to bypass the comming attractions on Disney DVD's.

I've tried DVDRemake but my older sony standalone player is not happy with whatever that program does when you hide a block (although it plays fine on the computer).
smoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2004, 05:08   #18  |  Link
$$$

@smoof - Not a tool but a workaround for these annoying stuff you normally want to bypass in the beginning of a DVD. The idea is to capture the state of this kind of DVD at the point you actually want it to be started and then use First Play PGC to create exactly that state. In more detail,

Play your DVD in IfoEdit until you reach the main movie (assuming you want to autoplay it in the future). You can set your desired audio track and subtitle as well.

Expand the IfoEdit "DVD Play" window to display the GP register values and note all down which are not equal to zero.

Now open the DVD in PGCEdit and go to the First-Play PGC. In case you have any conditional commands here it will be more diffult but let's assume there are none.

Replace all precommands with the following,
- set all GP registers to match the values you have noted down
- set preferred audio track and subtitle (if required)
- add a Jump Title to the main movie (the title# displayed in IfoEdit "DVD Play")

Don't forget to save and replay it in IfoEdit to check whether it works. If not, PGCEdit already created a backup directory for you..

If it doesn't work there might be some conflicting pre commands assigned to your main movie title. This can normally be easily "corrected" there.

You can use the following PGCEdit scratchbook I created for that purpose.
Code:
{* scratchbook}
{71 00 00 00 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 01 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 02 00 00 00 00}
{71 00 00 03 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 04 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 05 00 00 00 00}
{71 00 00 06 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 07 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 08 00 00 00 00}
{71 00 00 09 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 0B 00 00 00 00}
{71 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 0D 00 00 00 00} {71 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00}
{71 00 00 0F 00 00 00 00} {51 00 00 80 80 00 00 00} {30 02 00 00 00 01 00 00}
Just copy/paste the above into notepad and save it with .sbk extension, eg. FirstPlay.sbk. Open that scratchbook in PGCEdit, copy/paste these commands to First Play PGC and do the necessary adjustments.

$
Old 17th June 2004, 05:51   #19  |  Link
smoof

Yeah, that's a good idea. Thanks for posting it.

I still like the single stepping idea because it would be a great tool for learning. I just saw there's a new version of DVDRemake, sounds like it's a possibility that tool may incorporate this kind of functionality in the future. Things have certainly progressed a lot since the "old days".
smoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2004, 11:01   #20  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by [Toff]
After putting some debug message, I've narrowed the guilty line :
Code:
		# !!! IT HANG HERE, ON NEXT LINE !!! <-----------X
	}
} else {
}
This is when started from wish manually.
I'm not sure to understand you. Do you mean that the "source ..." line is executed when you launch PgcEdit.tcl from wish? It's absolutely abnormal!

The winshellext.tcl file is needed only for the Install menu, which is present only in freeWrapped PgcEdit.exe, because it uses stuff provided by freeWrap but not by Wish.

The first IF line is my way to test if PgcEdit is run as a freeWrapped app or from Wish. Indeed, ::freewrap::progname is a variable automatically created by FreeWrap before it initialize the app. This variable may not exists if PgcEdit is run from Wish, and the IF test must therefore bypass the whole section. If it doesn't, it's really a strange behavior.

Quote:
EDIT : In fact this last problem is only when i use freewrap as a wish interpreter, using the interpreter from ActiveTcl it works if I make the pgcedit directory the current directory first.
I was editing the PgcEdit code when I see your edit. You're rigth. I need to test if the program is launched interactively, and, in that case, use another way to find the source directory of PgcEdit. Unfortunately, I can't find a practical way to do that. I can however inform the user of the problem and return gracefully. Here is the code section that does just that:
Code:
if {$tcl_interactive} {
	set config(apppath) [pwd]
	if {! [file exists $config(apppath)/lib/main.tcl]} {
		puts "Please CD to the PgcEdit directory before launching it."
		return 1
	}
} else {
		}
	} else {
	}
}
But I'm affraid this patch will not fix the first problem you had when PgcEdit is used as a freeWrapped executable.

Last chance try:
Be sure to associate the .TCL files with WishRun.exe, then launch the original PgcEdit by clicking on PgcEdit.tcl. I will be interested in knowing what is happening in this precise case.
Then edit PgcEdit.tcl with the code above, and try again. This must work.
Hint: you may add a "console show" line to open the console.

It may be usefull also to check the original PgcEdit.exe on another computer running Win2K. Is it possible for you?