Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 26th March 2004, 17:23   #301  |  Link
Pedro Gouveia

Quote:
Originally posted by jdobbs
I just tested it on mine and it works correctly. If you look in the resulting .ECL file you should see a parameter that says vbr_pass=n -- n will equal the number you entered minus 1 (vaf pass plus n more). Looking at the file .INI you sent above the value should be vbr_pass=3.
I'm back. If we stop the encoding process, then make a change in the number of passes, the REBUILDER.ECL doesn't get updated.

It only remembers the number of passes defined when the prepare process started.
Pedro Gouveia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 18:22   #302  |  Link
StifflerStealth

@redfive19: Glad you found the picure quality your looking for. I agree with you on the fact that DVD-RB is an amazing piece of software. Hmmm, wait, scratch that! It's a _tool_, not some _piece_ of software. :-D

Stiff
StifflerStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 18:32   #303  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedro Gouveia
I'm back. If we stop the encoding process, then make a change in the number of passes, the REBUILDER.ECL doesn't get updated.

It only remembers the number of passes defined when the prepare process started.
I see. I create the .ECL file as a part of the PREPARE. So you're correct, changing the value only affects anything that has not yet been prepared.
Old 26th March 2004, 18:33   #304  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally posted by StifflerStealth
@redfive19: Glad you found the picure quality your looking for. I agree with you on the fact that DVD-RB is an amazing piece of software. Hmmm, wait, scratch that! It's a _tool_, not some _piece_ of software. :-D

Stiff
I think that unless I get a couple of these bugs out it's going to be called a "piece of" something else completely.
Old 26th March 2004, 18:47   #305  |  Link
StifflerStealth

Quote:
Originally posted by jdobbs
I think that unless I get a couple of these bugs out it's going to be called a "piece of" something else completely.
Are you kidding or joking? It's hard to tell when ppl are when using text. Anyways, it's great with or without bugs.

Stiff

Last edited by StifflerStealth; 26th March 2004 at 18:56.
StifflerStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 19:30   #306  |  Link
MeridiusUK

how do you know if the film is interlaced or no interlaced ????
MeridiusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 20:17   #307  |  Link
redfive19

@Meridius

I tell with the app Bitrate Viewer. It comes up with all the info. I am sure there are other ways to tell. I know DoItFast4U has some command line app that scans the m2v file and determines the field order.

@jdobbs
bro, you're being way to hard on yourself (that is, if you are serious) I hope you've not taken anything I've said as an insult! I already told you, once this app gets worked out, I'd be willing to pay for it and I am sure others would too (although I don't know if you have plans to turn it to shareware). I think that's a huge compliment. Also, let me reiterate (sp?), this app worked on a DVD that according to DIF4U did not need vobID demuxing but must have anyway. You're app was the only way I was able to back it up with CCE. And it's an expensive set of dvd's I bought (Total Training for Adobe After Effects 6 - 13 DVD set! $450). Just with that, it's worth it's price. That's a huge investment and your app let me ensure that I don't have to purchase it again. Just my two cents!

-redfive
redfive19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 20:20   #308  |  Link
robw

just want to report that I did a batch process of 4 DVDs. I also turned on WinOFF so when the process was finished (20 hours later, whew!) my machine shut down.

These were very full DVDs of episodic material. I set up the ISO ripped files with Daemon's Tools virtual disk. After DVD-RB (3 passes since the original material was ~7.5 GB) finished, I took the output and ran it through DVDStripper to remove a small nag screen (the usual) and also to let it recreate the navigational stuff. The final DVD size was within 40-50 MB of full (i.e. around 4434 to 4444 MB). Video quality looks great.

Last edited by robw; 26th March 2004 at 20:26.
robw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 20:27   #309  |  Link
P3gasus

Quote:
Originally posted by redfive19
@Meridius

I tell with the app Bitrate Viewer.

Be careful! Bitrate viewer tells you the information written in the vob file witch is not always true. In Europe there are many dvds that declare themselves as interlaced (and so bitrate viewer tells you so) but they are not. Some examples are The lord of the rings the fellowship of the ring (Extended) and Pirates of the carribean.
Just in case you didn't know.
Ciao
Old 26th March 2004, 20:59   #310  |  Link
daxab

vbr_pass off by one?

Quote:
I just tested it on mine and it works correctly. If you look in the resulting .ECL file you should see a parameter that says vbr_pass=n -- n will equal the number you entered minus 1 (vaf pass plus n more). Looking at the file .INI you sent above the value should be vbr_pass=3.
Is this correct for 2.6x?

If I set the VBR passes option in the GUI to n, the .ECL file contains vbr_pass=(n-1), and CCE actually does n-1 passes.

So to get 3 passes, I have to set the number of passes to 4 in the GUI.
daxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 21:18   #311  |  Link
psdos

one question

can someone say me what is VBR_bias adjust?
psdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 21:48   #312  |  Link
robw

Ideally you would set the vbr_bias according to the bitrate that is being encoded. As an illustration, although I have not confirmed these numbers, is that for a bitrate of 4000 kbit/s you might use a vbr_bias of 40, for a bitrate of 3000 kbit/s you might use a vbr_bias of 30, etc. Trilight has compiled a nice page outlining how the bias can be chosen.

http://www.trilight.com/dvdguides/fl...asAnalysis.htm

Last edited by robw; 26th March 2004 at 21:50.
Old 26th March 2004, 21:54   #313  |  Link
wmansir

Re: one question

Quote:
Originally posted by psdos
can someone say me what is VBR_bias adjust?
VBR_bias governs the amount of variation CCE gives the bitrate between different parts of the movie. A high number means there will be little fluctuation in the bitrate, so action scenes may not be able to get all the bits they need to look good. A lower number means CCE will give more bits to scenes that require them, possibly at the expense of slower scenes.
wmansir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 23:17   #314  |  Link
MeridiusUK

so when you select the interlaced and non interlaced option how do you know then what you are picking.

as i have R2 dvds alot so will it make any diffrence to the film if this options is wroung

and if so why can dvd rebuilder not auto scan the film and then select it on its own ????
MeridiusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2004, 23:42   #315  |  Link
P3gasus

Quote:
Originally posted by MeridiusUK
so when you select the interlaced and non interlaced option how do you know then what you are picking.
The best way to know if a mpeg2 file is interlaced or progressive is to open it into virtualdubmod, move the bar in a scene - change frame and look at it. If you don't know how to recognize an interlaced video frame this can be helpful for you.

Quote:
as i have R2 dvds alot so will it make any diffrence to the film if this options is wroung
The difference is really visible when you try to deinterlace a progressive file. In this case you will see visible encoding errors (strangely coloured blocks). If you encode a progressive video with interlaced settings but without deinterlacing it, you will not notice big differences.

Quote:
and if so why can dvd rebuilder not auto scan the film and then select it on its own ????
I don't know

Bye

Last edited by P3gasus; 27th March 2004 at 00:25.
P3gasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2004, 00:45   #316  |  Link
robw

This is a very good page on interlacing.

When is it harmful to deinterlace? When is it better to leave a picture interlaced?

http://www.100fps.com/video_resolution_vs_fluidity.htm
Old 27th March 2004, 00:58   #317  |  Link
P3gasus

Quote:
Originally posted by robw
This is a very good page on interlacing.

When is it harmful to deinterlace? When is it better to leave a picture interlaced?

http://www.100fps.com/video_resolution_vs_fluidity.htm
Very interesting link. robw.
Bye
Old 27th March 2004, 02:15   #318  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally posted by MeridiusUK
how do you know if the film is interlaced or no interlaced ????
It's flagged one way or the other within the MPEG stream
Old 27th March 2004, 02:27   #319  |  Link
jdobbs

Re: Re: one question

Quote:
Originally posted by wmansir
VBR_bias governs the amount of variation CCE gives the bitrate between different parts of the movie. A high number means there will be little fluctuation in the bitrate, so action scenes may not be able to get all the bits they need to look good. A lower number means CCE will give more bits to scenes that require them, possibly at the expense of slower scenes.
You're right here. Here is a quote from the CCE manual:

"Breaking into bit allocation strategy The encoder allocates bits based on the original evaluation standard, so that all images have the same visual quality. Changing the value of the Bias part breaks into this evaluation standard. 0 to 100 can be set here. The initial value is 30. As the value becomes smaller, more bits are allocated to complicated scenes, and at value 0, the bitrate fluctuation is largest. As this value becomes larger, more bits are allocated to simple scenes, and at value 100, streams closer to CBR are output."

I like to set the value between 10 and 15. Then more bits can be allocated to the scenes that are most likely to get blocky (high action).

Last edited by jdobbs; 27th March 2004 at 02:29.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2004, 02:33   #320  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally posted by StifflerStealth
Are you kidding or joking? It's hard to tell when ppl are when using text. Anyways, it's great with or without bugs.

Stiff
I'm never serious about anything...