Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 9th June 2011, 17:52   #1  |  Link
Dogway

Masks creation

Is there a way to make a mask to protect low-mid frequence details, like say a wall in an animation source, so I can denoise the flat colors of character cels?
Maybe through a pixel similarity mask

You can test with this source. The most I got was this mask, by using msmooth denoiser, but I think I can do similar or better inside masktools. (Before making the mask I denoised with mdegrain)
http://www.mediafire.com/?z2gwu6uh5gdvy3z
Code:
op=MSmooth(threshold=8, strength=4, highq=true, chroma=false, mask=false, show=false, debug=false)
mt_makediff(op,last,U=-128,V=-128)
mt_lut("x 91 < 255 x 157 > 0 255 x 91 - 255 157 91 - / * - ? ?",U=1,V=1)
mt_binarize(threshold=120).RemoveGrain(19).mt_expand(U=-128,V=-128)

I also would like some insight on how to use mt_motion, basically as a reinforcement for manalyse+mdegrain. I have it using, just Im not sure how it works or take the most out of it.
Old 10th June 2011, 00:14   #2  |  Link
mastrboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Is there a way to make a mask to protect low-mid frequence details, like say a wall in an animation source, so I can denoise the flat colors of character cels?
Might be what you are looking for: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...63#post1443463 (I have not tested it at all though)
mastrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 01:38   #3  |  Link
Dogway

Thank you, that's something to look at. But it doesn't look to do anything objective, it just creates a mask based on different factors but not strictly in local pixel similarity. It kinda looks to work, but doesnt.
LEM, mixes some masks upon L for luma, masks bright zones, E, masks out edges through a mask created with msharpen, M, creates a mask for motion based on MAnalyse (interesting). Im curious to know why he didn't use either mt_edge or mt_motion.

In any case the filter Im having problems with is tnlmeans, it denoises this frequency detail too much, so I need to isolate it through a mask. To my surprise a difference mask shows that everything is evenly denoised, so it might not be of much use, although perceptively the wall is the first thing to draw your attention.

raw________________denoised__________________diff
Old 10th June 2011, 04:00   #4  |  Link
Zarxrax

Maybe you are going about it backwards. Instead of trying to mask the flat areas, try to mask the not flat areas. For example, things like edges are what you want to preserve right? So if you mask those, its easy to filter the other parts of the image.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 16:53   #5  |  Link
Dogway

Zarxrax: That was my first try, mask through mt_edge, but it doesnt detect all the wall as detail, nor all the flat area as flat (because of noise), so this is kind of plan B, I post an updated test, using as a base a better degrained source with mdegrain.

mask _______________tnlmeans through mask

processed source for test: source 20Mb

Not so good.
Im going to desist for now until someone unveils some magic secrets of masktools...
Old 10th June 2011, 23:01   #6  |  Link
cretindesalpes
͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿

My attempt. A bit rough but should be close enough for rock 'n' roll.

Code:
e1 = mt_edge (mode="prewitt", thY1=0, thY2=255)
e2 = mt_edge (mode="min/max", thY1=0, thY2=255)
mt_makediff (e1, e2)
mt_lut ("x 128 - 0 max 256 / 0.25 ^ 256 *")
mt_deflate ().mt_deflate ()
w = width ()
h = height ()
r = 3
BicubicResize (w / (r*2) * 2, h / (r*2) * 2, 1, 0)
TemporalSoften (2, 20, 255)
mt_expand ().mt_inpand ().mt_inpand (mode="both")
BicubicResize (w, h, 1, 0)
mt_lut ("x 10 - 6 *")

MergeRGB (last, last, last) # Display

Last edited by cretindesalpes; 10th June 2011 at 23:29. Reason: Silly display code
cretindesalpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 16:34   #7  |  Link
Dogway

ay mama thanks a bunch, I didnt have much hope on this one. After a test there were areas I still wished to be denoised, some closer look and found out they all were darkish zones, so I added a luma mask into the mix. This got something in its own, probably useful for others as well. I post the improvement and the code wrapped in a function.
Dark areas are commonly detroyed by denoisers specially spatial ones, so that is a personal compromise, in this case I think Im gonna use it.
Code:
mt_merge (Your denoiser,
\   last,
\   flatmask, luma=true, y=3, u=3, v=3)

function flatmask(clip a, int "str", int "Lstr", bool "luma", int "r", bool "debug"){
luma = default(luma,true)
r    = default(r, 3)
str  = string(default(str, 6))
th   = default(Lstr,80)
debug= default(debug, false)

e1 = a.mt_edge (mode="prewitt", thY1=0, thY2=255)
e2 = a.mt_edge (mode="min/max", thY1=0, thY2=255)
mt_makediff (e1, e2)
mt_lut ("x 128 - 0 max 256 / 0.25 ^ 256 *")
mt_deflate ().mt_deflate ()
luma ? mt_logic(last,a.mt_binarize(threshold=th),"min") : last
w = width ()
h = height ()
BicubicResize (w / (r*2) * 2, h / (r*2) * 2, 1, 0)
TemporalSoften (2, 20, 255)
mt_expand ().mt_inpand ().mt_inpand (mode="both")
BicubicResize (w, h, 1, 0)
mt_lut ("x 10 - "+str+" *")
debug ? MergeRGB (last, last, last) : last}

Last edited by Dogway; 11th June 2011 at 21:36.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animation, cel, flat, mask, masktools