Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 28th January 2002, 06:37   #1  |  Link
flipdon
HomeStarRunner

can't display 2-line subs using Nandub and SSA script

i use SubRip to rip the subtitles and get an .srt file. Then i use an srt to ssa file converter so get a substation alpha script, which i load into nandub using the Subtitler.vdf filter v1.3a to load the subs into the avi. they look fine and the placement is correct... its just that whenever there's supposed to be a carraige return it just puts a space.

ex. Person 1 speaking -Person 2 speaking

instead of
Person 1 speaking
-Person 2 speaking

anyone know what im doing wrong? i opened the SSA script in SSA and they showed up correct with the multiple lines and all but they dont encode correctly.

is there a better way of doing subs than this? perhaps with better OCR recognizing to cut down on spelling mistakes?

Last edited by flipdon; 28th January 2002 at 06:54.
flipdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2002, 07:12   #2  |  Link
gabest

Re: can't display 2-line subs using Nandub and SSA script

Quote:
Originally posted by flipdon
i use VobSub to rip the subtitles and get an .srt file.
This sounds interesting It is possible with v2.09 though, but I'm just about to release that.
Quote:
Then i use an srt to ssa file converter so get a substation alpha script, which i load into nandub using the Subtitler.vdf filter v1.3a
Isn't 1.3a a bit outdated?
Quote:
to load the subs into the avi. they look fine and the placement is correct... its just that whenever there's supposed to be a carraige return it just puts a space.
As I noticed this bug is back in v2.2, try downloading v2.1 instead.
Quote:
is there a better way of doing subs than this?
You could use vobsub directly in nandub, not the same quality (dvd subs can look horrible), but you can keep the formatting.
Quote:
perhaps with better OCR recognizing to cut down on spelling mistakes?
Subresync 2.09 can do OCR too, it may beat or may not beat subrip in accuracy, depends on the source material.

For those who can't wait till I update my web site

Last edited by gabest; 28th January 2002 at 07:20.
gabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2002, 19:48   #3  |  Link
flipdon
HomeStarRunner

im sorry...i meant to say i used SubRip instead of VobSub. i edited the mistake almost immediately after i posted first, but maybe i should have noted it on the bottom. i forget why i couldn't use VobSub in the first place (think maybe because i renamed the VOBs when i ripped using smart ripper).

i'll try using v2.1 tonight to see if its fixed. i've had 1.3a for a while because i only started encoding again recently. i try not using vobsub directly in nandub so i can change the subtitle font and color etc.

if 2.1 still doesn't work, would replacing all the /n with /N help? i have no idea what a soft and hard return are.

so v2.09 can work with .srt files, you say? maybe i'll fiddle around with that too...
Old 29th January 2002, 02:11   #4  |  Link
Yusaku

yes, you have to replace all \n s by \N s - soft returns (\n) are ignored by subtitler, no matter the version (but in 2.1+ you can choose not to ignore them in config, not in DVobSub though).

But as for the new VobSub package - Gabest, woooow. Finally it is not crashing with dual-audio files (maybe because of the memory leak?) and new SubResync is just fantastic - it CAN actually OCR an italic text!!!!

Just a bit buggy with spaces, but I'm sure you can solve that in time ^_^. My suggestion is to debug especially "xxx y" "xxx j" "xxx J" etc. strings - evidently you're taking into account the space between, but because these three stick to the left below the line, it produces errors. ("xxxy", "xxxj" etc.) (and no, if I increase the space sensitivity more, I g e t sen t enc es l i ke th i s).

Try to ignore the space below character line in calculations ^_^.

And last - how about italic support in VOB>SSA converting? I would be more than willing to check one more checkbox for new character in matrix.
Yusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2002, 03:18   #5  |  Link
flipdon
HomeStarRunner

great, thanks for the tip.

i'll find and replace \n with \N then. i guess i can just put in Subtitler v2.2 without worrying?
Old 29th January 2002, 04:54   #6  |  Link
gabest

Eh, right. I rarely load up the vd plugin in vd... I forgot about the different line braking modes. The first one breaks line even for \n.

Last edited by gabest; 29th January 2002 at 06:25.
gabest is offline   Reply With Quote