Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 22nd August 2016, 20:18   #61  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

In a video it looks nice too !

I don't know how you did this big script, because it very complicated

I keep this for later, if I want to do a video with this effect and play with nostalgia

But now, I mainly must upgrade my video to modern displays But I love it !
SuperLumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 17:58   #62  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello

I noticed that the real Higan (the perfect emulator) resolution is "585x448", not "584x448".

The problem comes from Fraps. When I took screenshots, their resolution were 584x448.

So my scripts are wrong !

But I corrected it in the description of my videos :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...W3G7DVYqx9NhoT

But I choose my finale script now !

AviSource()
Spline16Resize(1410, 1234)
BicubicResize(1410, 1080)
nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2, nsize=0, nns=4, qual=1, etype=0, pscrn=2, threads=0, opt=0, fapprox=0)
BicubicResize(b=0, c=0.5, 1410, 1080)

I didn't do a video, but maybe I will.
Old 26th August 2016, 01:49   #63  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

The video :

https://youtu.be/LrPqtcoJkRg
Old 27th August 2016, 04:04   #64  |  Link
thecoreyburton

The video looks good, SuperLumberJack. I'm glad you've solved a lot of your filter problems!

When it comes to game footage, I tend to do three separate encodes and put them all the same MKV video as different selectable streams. This way, I can view the same game in several different ways. I also remove duplicate frames and whatnot, but in this case I'll just elaborate on the resizing:

XBR is good for simple games, such as Super Mario World. It retains a lot of the clarity and smooths a lot of the the round edges without making the image too blurry. It works significantly better than HQX in terms of having a higher resolution, and still functioning in the pre-rendered Donkey Kong Country games. The downside is that still images in those games appear a little watered out, but upon playback the motion looks a little better than before. It's just a shame there's no scale=8.
Quote:
xBRZ(scale=6)
This is your traditional nearest-neighbor resize. Assuming the output's gonna be YUV, it's nice to keep an even number (I prefer multiples of four) as the resize value, to avoid any chroma bleeding. This gives a pixel-accurate look to how the emulator displays the game and it's a good option if all the other resizing methods don't meet your needs.
Quote:
PointResize(last.width*8,last.height*8)
If you're looking for the an old TV look, then this is what you'd likely go for. It's very customizable and listed below are simply my own settings. The time it takes is extensive, but I've found the final product to be more than worth it. In addition to simply resizing and filtering spatially, the colors are tweaked by the filter slightly to give a more natural look:
Quote:
AspectRatio=8/7
ScaleFactor=8
CRT_Display(ScaleFactor*AspectRatio, ScaleFactor, ppp=(ScaleFactor/2)*AspectRatio, blurh=1.0, maskpp=2.5, phosphor=true, scandist=3, cutoff=0.8, glowgain=1, glowh=8, glowv=0, halgain=0.03, sharpv=0.5,gamma=2.2)
ConvertToYV12()
Tweak(Sat=1.15)
I know I didn't answer your question directly regarding the resizer you wanted, but I'm hoping that if ever you're having trouble deciding what to do this can help a bit. You can easily chuck your final script in the mix and make another encode and compare them. As frustrating as getting the right filter can be, it can open the door to a lot of new things. MKV is a very versatile container and is not limited to a single video stream, so you can always double up if there are two you like. The problem with emulators is that they are giving you a much more clear, digital output than the original console. You're going to have to make a sacrifice one way or another and it just depends on what you're comfortable with. If you're happy with what you've chosen, remember it's all subjective and what's best for you is what's best.

Happy encoding!

Edit: I just noticed you mentioned you're using Fraps for capturing. Whilst FRAPS is a great piece of software I use frequently, try BizHawk from TASVideos. It has the bsnes/higan core build into it for SNES emulation so you won't be compromising and it has a built-in AVI dumping feature- you just tell it to save an AVI, choose a (preferably lossless) codec, and it does! You don't have to worry about cropping or timing or missing certain frames.

Last edited by thecoreyburton; 27th August 2016 at 04:09.
Old 27th August 2016, 11:18   #65  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello

Yes, multiple video streams in a MKV is a good idea But it's for YouTube or Dailymotion, so I can't

But I use MKV format generally

Fraps, it was only to capture the image from Higan (and other games but in HD, but sometimes I use Dxtory too). But for my videos of Super Nes video games, I use only the Snes9x emulator. I can directly record video in the native resolution of the game

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 27th August 2016 at 11:59.
Old 27th August 2016, 17:32   #66  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello again

At the beginning, I tried to use Jinc filter in a AVS script. But I encountered some problems

I like Jinc upscaling in madVR with anti-ringing filter

Here is the low resolution image :

Here is the image with Media Player Classic and madVR :

The aspect ratio is not corrected (output 1410x1080), but the picture is beautiful, very natural !

madVR settings :

I tried with the Jinc filter here :

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/JincResize

But the AR filter isn't implemented yet and there are some bugs.

The picture with Jinc36Resize in a resolution of 1410x1080 :

As you see, there are some strange vertical lines.

And some double countours :

(It's the same with Lanczos, Spline36 and superior, Blackman, etc.)

The only way to remove these lines and the double countours is to begin with a Bicubic or Spline16 filter :

AviSource()
ConvertToYV24()
BicubicResize(512, 448)
Jinc36Resize(1410, 1080)

But we lost the benefit of the Jinc filter.

And there is one last problem

The picture is a bit distored with the Jinc filter :

Left :

AviSource()
ConvertToYV24()
BicubicResize(705, 540)
Jinc36Resize(1410, 1080)

Right :

AviSource()
ConvertToYV24()
BicubicResize(705, 540)
AddBorders(4, 4, 3, 4)
Jinc36Resize(1424, 1096)
Crop(8, 8, -6, -8)

The filter adds a weird lign of pixel on the bottom and the right (I added borders to see it better). The only way to prevent this, is to add borders before using the Jinc filter, and to crop them after.

So, is there a way to use well the Jinc filter, like in Media Player Classic and madVR ?

How can I erase the double countours ?

Thanks for your answer

I found my final script, but this is interesting me

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 27th August 2016 at 22:07.
Old 27th August 2016, 18:44   #67  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLumberjack View Post
It looks great. Stop fiddling with it
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 22:09   #68  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

OK. Thanks raffriff42 !

It's what I needed to hear !
Old 7th September 2016, 14:11   #69  |  Link
bxyhxyh

Hello, you seem to got your desired result?
You want crt feeling but you don't want strong scanlines or something right?

For me, this one looks good.
Code:
w=1410 h=1080
norm=Spline16Resize(w,h).nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,nns=4).BicubicResize(w,h,0,0.5).ConvertToYV24(matrix="Rec709")
crt_display(3,3,gainb=1.2,gamma=2.0)
spline36resize(w,h).ConvertToYV24(matrix="Rec709")

crt_str=1.0
expr="x " + string(crt_str) + " * y + " + string(crt_str+1) + " /"
mt_lutxy(last,norm,expr,u=3,v=3)
I haven't played with crt_display settings much, because crt_display(3,3,gainb=1.2,gamma=2.0) this one works just ok to me on Genesis and SNES games.
norm part was in your youtube description, but I just removed one bicubicresize from resize chain.

Since these games are made in crt era and made for crt tvs, these gameplay captures need crt effects if you want "original" feeling.
It's just my opinion though.

Last edited by bxyhxyh; 22nd April 2018 at 19:16. Reason: mistake in the script
bxyhxyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 15:42   #70  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Thanks ! It's very beautiful !

But I keep this for the next time, because I already did my video
Old 2nd April 2018, 03:27   #71  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello everybody

I didn't come here for a long time ! If I'm here, it's because yesterday, I was surprised by something, a UHD Blu-Ray review of the movie "Dark Crystal" !

What I found extraordinary was that we can at last recover something organic, vibrant, alive... whereas it's a pure digital picture !

It's a familiar feeling that we lost somewhere with the end of the analogic support like the VHS.

See these picture and tell me if you understand what I mean

Old picture (Blu-Ray 2009) :

New picture (UHD Blu-Ray 2018 - 4k remaster) :

Old picture :

New picture :

Old picture :

New picture :

(source : http://www.hdnumerique.com/dossiers/...master-4k.html)

See the textures (and the colors of course) ! It's not only a simple image anymore, it's organic, it's alive ! I love this feeling ! ^_^

I thought that I will never feel this anymore with our modern display... but I was wrong !

And so I understood one thing ! This feeling doesn't exclusively depend on the fact that before we used old CRT display and now we use modern display like LCD or OLED. No ! It depends on how the picture is too !

It's strange ! Because today I discover too a video game called "You Have to Win the Game".

It's a game with a retro-style ! And in this game, we can emulate a CRT display or play in a modern style !

I find that the emulated CRT effect is very great as you can see :

original : https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac1840dc56a4.png

But we lost the impression of immersion, that the things are alive without this effect :

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac18523eed6d.png

But as I you could see above with the UHD Blu-Ray of Dark Crystal, it's possible to have something alive with a digital picture !

So I tried to test with a avisynth script, if I could get something more immersive, more alive !

I already tried before, but I never thought it was possible !

But I get this :

I know, it's very subtl !

But if we look closer, we can almost think that it's moving, there is a kind of consciousness ! Or maybe I'm just crazy ah ah !

(sorry for my bad English)

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 13th April 2018 at 15:38.
Old 2nd April 2018, 03:33   #72  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Other pictures :

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac18bb1101cc.png

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac18bf5154fc.png

It's not evident with theses pictures ! Maybe more with these others :

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac189d59c688.png

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac18a2598953.png

Here is the script for this last picture :

Quote:
AviSource()
BicubicResize(5640, 4320)
Blur(0.2, -1.0)
Blur(0.01, 0.1)
Spline16Resize(2820, 2160)
As you can see, I added a light blur to get more depth in the image and hide some distracting details.

This next picture comes from my previous script :

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac18dba39e0c.png

My previous script (maybe it changed just a bit ) :

Quote:
AviSource()
Spline16Resize(1170, 896)
nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2, nsize=0, nns=4, qual=1, etype=0, pscrn=2, threads=0, opt=0, fapprox=0)
BicubicResize(2820, 2160)
As you can see, it looks sharper ! But I don't know if you think like me, there are more insignificant and distracting details that get us out from the picture !

Other pictures :

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac190b9bbe3a.png

With the new script :

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac19187cb497.png

The picture must have a 8/7 aspect ratio instead of 4/3, so the script is :

Quote:
AviSource()
BicubicResize(4936, 4320)
Blur(0.2, -1.0)
Blur(0.01, 0.1)
Spline16Resize(2468, 2160)
It's almost like a cartoon ! The picture becomes less important I think here, but the action is more highlighted.

And with the old script :

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac19211b4c0e.png

Quote:
AviSource()
Spline16Resize(1024, 896)
BicubicResize(2468, 2160)
What do you think about all of that ? Am I just a bit crazy ? Maybe !

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 13th April 2018 at 16:08.
Old 2nd April 2018, 16:17   #73  |  Link
cork_OS

Since it's already 2018, madVR has NGU AA/Standart/Sharp, adding grain and SuperRes for upscaling.
Old 2nd April 2018, 18:08   #74  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello

Thanks for you answer ! But I already use madVR with MPC to read movies.

But here, I want to encode movies It's for some records done with "snes9x". I want to upscale them for YouTube
Old 2nd April 2018, 18:25   #75  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

What do you think about this new script ? (I knowed it won't be the last )

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac2645b1cf7b.png

Quote:
AviSource()
BicubicResize(256, 448)
Spline16Resize(2820, 4320)
Blur(0, 0.1)
+ "deinterlace (internal)" filter in VirtualDub and "Discard fields"

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac26518179f4.png

Quote:
AviSource()
BicubicResize(256, 448)
Spline16Resize(2468, 4320)
Blur(0, 0.1)
+ "deinterlace (internal)" filter in VirtualDub and "Discard fields"

By the way, do you know with what script I could discard fields like the deinterlace filter in VirtualDub ?

It's not to deinterlace of course !

But these pictures made me thinking :

(source : https://www.gamekult.com/forum/t/le-...welcome/343154)

I wanted to do a trick, to create something like a scanlines effect, but without the scanlines

With the scanlines, we have like a illusion of uper resolution whereas it doesn't change. So I tried to double the vertical resolution with the Bicubic resizer and at the end, delete the half of the vertical resolution, as if there were scanlines.

It's outlandish, but I tried some things ! In any case, it's based on subjectivity...

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 13th April 2018 at 16:11.
Old 3rd April 2018, 01:49   #76  |  Link
`Orum

For truly interlaced sources (i.e. not telecined sources), there's always nnedi3(). Of course if you're throwing away a field anyway to do some scanline effect, you don't need to deinterlace at all. Though, that depends on the effect, and I know if I were to attempt a scanline filter I would try and make use of any additional vertical information I could. (EDIT: Maybe you could do it with just a single black field and bleed the other field into it? It would probably work best with at least a 3x resize though.)

There are several scanline filters out there for emulators, and if they're not already ported to AviSyth it probably wouldn't be to hard to. I've never looked as I'm not a huge fan of the effect.

I also agree that most/all of the filters in PointSize won't help you, as these are sort of in that awkward middle ground of detail between "very low" (e.g. [S]NES / Genesis era) and "high enough"(e.g. PS3) for general resizers (Spline, Lanczos, Bicubic, etc.).

Last edited by `Orum; 3rd April 2018 at 01:58.
`Orum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:54   #77  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Thanks for all these informations

But I already tried the nnedi3 and it's not so good with the straight lignes I found

But now, I think I got my last script... at last !

This video was my inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBaEODh5EA

I don't want scanlines, because I want something adapted to the modern display, but I tried to recreate a kind of illusion like the scanlines did... because it's a trick I think !

The scanlines, that we can call empty lines or empty informations, are strangly a part of the entire informations which are composing the whole image. We can see this here :

Without the scanlines, it's like if some informations were missing.

It's why I tried to recreate the same logic, but without the scanlines. It's like a doubled vertical resolution, but with void. It's here, but not here !

So at first I doubled the vertical resolution and finished with the good resolution. Doubled resolution but not ! Same logic

What do you think about this ?

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac555ef9668e.png

Quote:
AviSource()
Spline16Resize(2820, 4320)
PointResize(2820, 2160)

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac5563362add.png

Quote:
AviSource()
Spline16Resize(2468, 4320)
PointResize(2468, 2160)

It's so simple ! But I'm a complicated man !

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 13th April 2018 at 16:14.
Old 5th April 2018, 16:52   #78  |  Link
`Orum

Doesn't look bad, but it's definitely not the same effect as the scan lines. You might have piqued my curiosity enough to get me to write a scan line filter at some point, but it's not a priority right now.

Also, to make things look "right" on a scan line filter, I suspect you're going to need to at least double the resolution in each spatial dimension, if not more. I'll also need some high res photos of a CRT, but I think I still have one of those lying around that I can snap some pics of. Finally, for modern LCD displays, you'll probably need something with small pixel pitch (not too hard now with smallish 4k monitors) and might need to watch it at 1:1 (i.e. no scaling) to get it to look right. That said, I think it's doable.
Old 5th April 2018, 21:27   #79  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello

Thanks for your answer ! This is interesting !
But if I don't want scanlines, it's to not have to watch it at 1:1, because as you know, it can create problems

And everybody who is watching on YouTube doesn't understand this kind of subtleties and doesn't want to watch the videos in fullscreen

In addition, I just understood the limits of all this. I tought a lot about this and I think it's impossible to well reproduce the picture of an old video game with a CRT display. The problem is that we must alter the video file to emulate the picture on a CRT. But I want to keep the file as clean as possible.

I juste wanted to reproduce a look-like depth, something immersive, but with a picture adapted to the modern displays. But if you want to do scripts with something like scanlines, I would be very interested to see your job

But finally, I got my last script !

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac7fb9e69916.png

Quote:
AviSource()
Spline16Resize(1170, 896)
BicubicResize(5640, 4320)
BicubicResize(2820, 2160)

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5ac7fc4e94f64.png

Quote:
AviSource()
Spline16Resize(1024, 896)
BicubicResize(4936, 4320)
BicubicResize(2468, 2160)

I don't think I can do better, because it's totally subjective, it's a question of alchemy for me ! But it's a circle without end, a quest for a perfection that we can't achieve ! So, I will stop (maybe) ! But it was a very good therapy for me in fact !

(sorry for my bad English)

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 13th April 2018 at 16:16.
Old 6th April 2018, 04:35   #80  |  Link
qyot27
...?

There is a Scanlines filter, but it's pretty old: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Scanlines

There were also a couple threads which discuss similar methods:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156658
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170970 (Dot matrix effect, which I *think* might be what you're talking about here?)

The biggest drawback is that it doesn't support* the huge amount of new pixel formats introduced in AviSynth+ (which would be important for high bit depth with HDR, since you're talking about UHD here; the planar RGB formats would probably be useful for game captures too). Having Scanlines updated for that would be nice. Oddly enough, it actually does seem to work with YV24 input, even though it's a 2.5.8 plugin and was last updated in 2003.

*it's not that it rejects them outright, but some of them have a decidedly wrong hue or brightness on output - Planar RGB turns a pinkish color, 10-bit 4:4:4 was a lot darker than either 8-bit or 16-bit 4:4:4, and I'm sure there are lots of other examples if I tried testing them all.

(I could have been really unhelpful and said, "just buy a Super Nt and hook it into a capture card", but that'd be mean.)
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote