Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 6th March 2002, 17:32   #1  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Foolproof way to burn a SVCD to a disk

For those of you that have this down pat please disregard. This post is targeted at the zillion people that seem to have constant problems burning an SVCD disk. It is designed to provide a foolproof way to burn a SVCD to a disk that even the newest person can understand.

OK, all of you have a disk copy program, right?. By that I am referring to any of the simple disk to disk programs available like Nero, cdrwin, clonecd, etc. They are tried and true when it comes to copying one disk to another, however, sometimes they, or the user, might have problems when attempting the direct burn of a cue/bin to disk. So we will use the straight disk copy portion of one of these programs, along with Daemon tools to do a straight copy of the disk.

Get this and install it:
http://www.daemon-tools.com/daemon_tools.htm

This basic tool, along with WinDvd or PowerDVD, is a MUST have for ANYBODY that does SVCDs.

Daemon Tools creates a "virtual" cdrom on your PC. This new drive is available to Windows just as if it were a physical disk drive.

It, and windvd or powerdvd, should always be used to preview your disk image before you attempt to burn a disk.

In a nutshell, right click on the icon Daemon tools installs in your tray. Select Virtual CD/DVD-ROM > Device > mount image and choose your CUE file from the file selector (see notes below if you have any problem doing this). At this stage it is as if you had inserted a properly burned SVCD in a physical drive. You can use WinDvd or, most of the time, the latest PowerDVD (old ones won't work), to preview the disk.

Now just run Nero, or whatever, and select a standard disk copy with the virtual drive as your source and the burner as your destination. Burn the damn disk. You should be able to use "on the fly" with no problems as the read speed from the virual drive is mega fast.

If this does not work you have other problems you need to deal with like your aspi layer.

Notes:
1> Mounting a disk in Daemon tools is normally foolproof unless you have a an incorrect path header in your cue file. If so, open the cue file in notepad and fix it. For Cue/bins created with later versions of DVD2SVCD this should never be a problem, even if you have moved the cue/bins to another directory. If you have changed the name of the cue/bin you will have to change the header in the cue file to the new name. Don't worry, it is easy and it is obvious where to change it.

2> You will need to select "unmount all drives" before you attempt to delete the cue/bin after a successful burn (or mount something else)as the bin/cue will be locked from deletion.

3> Although not free as is Daemon Tools, Fantom CD might be of interest to you also. I believe it has a copy program built in?
http://fantomcd.copystar.com.tw/enu/

4> So, you have .cif files to burn? See Mozarts Q&A #50: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...1355#post91355
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2002, 18:01   #2  |  Link
JLR2000

I have to agree that this is the BEST solution to burning your .bin files. I tried Nero, Fireburn, CloneCD, BlindWrite, etc. and all of them had mixed results; sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't.

I went to Daemon-Tools and have had ZERO problems. I mount and image and then just use NERO to do a disc copy at 8x speed. It works everytime!

The best part is that you don't have to burn the image to test it. You can mount it, then run PowerDVD and point to your "virtual" cd. It plays like a real cd, which IMHO is the best test before burning.

I highly recommend this method and hope to see it added to the FAQ and DVD2SVCD guides. I'm not sure who originally proposed doing it this way, I found it in the forums here, but Thanks to whoever that was!
JLR2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2002, 18:50   #3  |  Link
Mozart
DVD2SVCD Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JLR2000

I highly recommend this method and hope to see it added to the FAQ and DVD2SVCD guides. I'm not sure who originally proposed doing it this way, I found it in the forums here, but Thanks to whoever that was!
Well... It already is in the newbie FAQ and, as far as I know, it was Mozart who originally proposed this method.

Last edited by Mozart; 6th March 2002 at 19:04.
Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2002, 23:18   #4  |  Link
JLR2000

Quote:
Originally posted by Mozart

Well... It already is in the newbie FAQ and, as far as I know, it was Mozart who originally proposed this method.

Thanks Mozart!!!
JLR2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2002, 23:49   #5  |  Link
DDogg

Mozart, I didn't think this an original idea so pardon me for not giving you proper credit.
Old 7th March 2002, 08:36   #6  |  Link
M1ckey M0use

May i suggest using the freeware cdrdao again? I write all my cue/bin files with it and never had any problems.

You can use vcdeasy as gui for (the command line util) cdrdao.

More information at:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/vcdeasy.htm
M1ckey M0use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2002, 15:17   #7  |  Link
DDogg

M1ckey M0use, note the title. CDRDAO is great and something I have spent a lot of time working with. However, it depends on a working aspi layer and is quite intolerant of any problems with aspi. This thread is about a simple, foolproof method that we can link to for just about every question. In fact, I think we have been way TOO tolerant of these burning questions. Actually they belong in SVCD as they are not specific to D2S.

I would suggest the mods start moving them there, but with a simple link to this post. That meaning we are not interested in any burning problem unless you have tried the above method. This should be the only method we support in THIS forum, IMO.
Old 8th March 2002, 21:57   #8  |  Link
mrbass

I agree with DDogg. If they haven't tried this method....screw 'em. Go somewhere else to find support how to burn a .bin .cue file. This method is like abstinence, works everytime tried.

Discjuggler isn't listed ...what the dillio?
for those with WinDVD just select FILE and \MPEG2\AVSEQ01.MPG on your virtual cdrom SVCD to watch the movie before burning it. Check for image quality and audio synchrinization.

I agree with cdrdao...it WAS the best. But with this Daemon tools there should NEVER be one wasted cd with being able to preview it.

Taking a wild guess but many people get their cd-burners bundled with Nero and Roxio Easy CD Creator. Does this work with Easy CD to CD (it should) just want verfication. That's my #1 hated burning app so if it does work more power to ya.

Last edited by mrbass; 8th March 2002 at 22:00.
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2002, 00:07   #9  |  Link
DDogg

MB, no need to file play in WinDvd later versions. It plays SVCD disk in Disk mode just fine as does latest versions of PowerDVD.

I have tested this with Nero, CloneCD, Cdrwin so far. I am damn sure not going to install EZCD to try it after what the early versions did to XP.
Old 9th March 2002, 00:25   #10  |  Link
chainsaw135

Yeah i have to agree with mrbass ezcd is sh*t for a program. I've tried all that we have talked about over the past months have actually been using deamon tools back in june of last year, and out of them all Fantom Cd is the best tho its not free

@DDogg With the latest windows xp patches, i've installed easycd just curious if it had fixed the crash issue..and it does runs fine but still junk in my eyes
chainsaw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2002, 05:06   #11  |  Link
moogy

thakns so much guys for all this GREAT info
moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 07:23   #12  |  Link
JayTray

Hello people,

This is very good advice, and is definately fool proof. However, I don't have problems getting the files to burn, It is the quality I achieve. Sometimes when I burn the Cds too fast I get corruption in some areas of the movie. This is more so when I have been booted up for a long time and am running other programs. I know it is not recommended to have additional software running while burning cds. But a lot of the time this can't be avoided. I constanly have something running on my PC. My question to some of the Veterans is are any of these programs better at burning properly than others. Or is it less likely to have errors if I use the method reccommended by Mozart and DDog. I have tried used Fire Burner and Nero both and have encountered errors writing @ 8x. I have gone down by 2x as reccomended in the Guides, and continued doing so and I have reached the speed of 2x is the max speed I can write at w/ out having errors.

Do I need to just shut down all of my programs before burning. The software I am usually running is Invision 2.0 (IRC chat client). And yes i have incoming transfers, this is bad I know. Any advice besides the Obvious wait till the CPU is 100% available.
Old 29th March 2002, 17:21   #13  |  Link
BruceCharl

IMHO, if at all possible, I would not have any other applications running while DVD2SVCD is doing its thing, let alone trying to do productive work. Just my experience ... YMMV.

Additionally, not only do I use Daemon-Tools (recommended here for burning), but I always run a freeware program called EndItAll 2 before doing any sort of encoding, burning, etc. EndItAll lists all running application and processes on your machine and you decide which ones to close and/or kill. EndItAll suggests which processes can be safely killed and those that should not be killed (like those required by the operating system). By running this app, I try to ensure that my machine has the most available resources dedicated to the encoding/burning/etc process as possible.

EndItAll can shut down almost any program, so make sure you know what you're doing before going hog wild and killing everything.

You can get the freeware app from the PCMag web page:

http://www.pcmag.com/ or specifically from
http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,a=10165,00.asp

P.S. I have no affiliation whatsoever with the application or PCMag except as a satisfied user.

Bruce.
BruceCharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2002, 00:41   #14  |  Link
anGGa

Well..I burned a svcd (.bin) using this method;
opened it with daeomon tools and used cd copy with nero for burning.
But the cd wont play neither on my dvd standalone nor my pc.
I think it has to do with I/O error. This what i get when trying to play with bsplayer;

BSPlayer v0.84.481, Unhandled exception at EIP: 004BA491
Application will be terminated.
Please report this info to the author with description what were you doing.
I/O error 1117
EInOutError
, 0x004B0C0F, 0x004B0E06, 0x00452087, 0x004496F2, 0x77D43A5F, 0x77D43B2E, 0x77D45E1D, 0x77D47076, 0x00449601, 0x004377DB, 0x0044C1B7, 0x00437543, 0x004496F2, 0x77D43A5F, 0x77D43B2E, 0x77D45874, 0x77D458A4, 0x77F5108F, 0x0044C1B7, 0x00437543, 0x004496F2, 0x77D43A5F, 0x77D43B2E, 0x77D45874, 0x77D458A4, 0x77F5108F, 0x00434E80, 0x0044C1B7, 0x00434CC7, 0x004374A4, 0x0043750F, 0x0044C1B7, 0x00434CC7, 0x00433C31, 0x004C1123, 0x77E7EB69

Bytes at EIP: 8B C3 8D 50 08 81 3A 41 56 49 20 75 32 8B C3 E8 B7 82

I cant play it using PowerDVD either...

Any suggestions or know what the problem may be?
Thanks...
Old 19th April 2002, 08:16   #15  |  Link
Manno6291

I agree with the method !!!
Before the new DVD2SVCD version was released, i could burn just with
CDRWIN and it worked fine ! With the new one i got massive problems ...CDRWIN still was burning - something - but no player (software or standalone) was able to read these CD'S (So as other members posted before) Finally(after a bunch damaged CD's)I got the idea by myself to load the image into the Daemon tools and
HEUREKA!!! that was it. Just wanted to post that, but the cracks nad heroes here are ALWAYS faster

THANX !!
Manno6291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2002, 17:02   #16  |  Link
jolo

Daemon with Divx

I would love to know how I can use the Daemon tools for burning DIVX to SVCD.

I don't totally understand the concept with Daemon tools, but could somehow the Divx get moved to the virtual drive

Or captured while being played ? ... I don't know, just don''t want to take the 15 hours or so waiting for TPMG to complete.

Please let me know what you think

Jon
jolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2002, 19:50   #17  |  Link
chainsaw135

@jolo no a dvx movie can not be moved to deamon tools unless you convert it to a cue/bin format. If you are wanting to turn the divx in to a svcd and then burn it, just follow the guides on this site.
chainsaw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2002, 19:49   #18  |  Link
newfaces

When I tried to mount image I had this error massage:

" Unable to mount image. Cue sheet:line 62- INDEX times are not in ascending order"

Any help please !!!

Thank you so much in advance
newfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2002, 23:05   #19  |  Link
Nick
One click is all it takes

It appears you have a problem with the chapters.
The cue file is simply a small text file which you can view and edit using Notepad. Find INDEX 62. There will be a time after it in the format of mm:ss:ff (mins,seconds,fractions). As you look down the list you will see that this time is lower than index 61, or higher than index 63. Either way, things will be out of order. Edit the times to get them all in ascending order, save and have another go at mounting. It should now work.

However, probably worth backing up the cue file to a different folder if you've never edited one before, just in case you mess it up!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2002, 01:39   #20  |  Link
mrbass

searched the web today and look what I found. A guide showing how to use daemon tools to burn dvd2scvd images and it even has screenshots for the illiterate out there.
mrbass is offline   Reply With Quote