Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 16th April 2004, 13:38   #1  |  Link
The Belgain

.ts --> XviD/WM9 encoding speed?

What kind of speeds are people getting for doing this conversion? My source is a 1280x720p 60fps captured .ts file (from MyHD i think). I'm converting to 1280x720p 24fps (it's a movie).

My Avisynth script is this:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2Dec3dg.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll")
mpeg2source("D:\DVD\HD\test.d2v")
SelectEven()
Decimate(cycle=5)

I'm encoding using VDubMod with XviD 1.0 RC4, and with WM9 VCM. With XviD, I get about 3-4 fps for both passes. With WM9 I get about 3-4 for the first pass, and 2-3 for the second. My machine is a Barton 3200+. This seems very slow; what speeds are other people getting? The quality in WM9 is set to second-highest, and I'm using "understricted" profile, with mpeg quant in XviD. Target bitrate is quite low (3.5 MBit) as this is just for testing. Using 2pass for both.

What XviD settings do people recommend for HD. I don't care that much about decoding, because these boht decode very easily on my machine.
The Belgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2004, 21:55   #2  |  Link
rishardc

For my WM9 I am getting about 3-4 with a similar script on my 3.0E machine which is overclocked to 3.3. Without decomb I get between 6-7 fps.
rishardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2004, 00:25   #3  |  Link
The Belgain

Ok, so my setup doesn't seem to be massively slower than it should then.

I'm not really that great with Avisynth, but what exactly does the Decomb plugin do in this script? Is it doing both the SelectEven() function and the Decimate(cycle=5) one? When you say you get 6-7 fps without it, would that leave you with a 30 fps clips or what?
Old 23rd April 2004, 16:48   #4  |  Link
rishardc

Honestly I'm not sure what decomb does either. I'm not all that great with avisynth myself. I did some more testing last night though and found that the yv12interlacedreducedby2.dll is much better to use, and faster. I was getting speeds of up to 11-12 fps last night! The whole movie (batman forever) was done in under 5 hours so I was happy. It can be found here.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~trbarry/downloads.htm
Old 26th April 2004, 15:48   #5  |  Link
Malcolm

as far as i can see from trbarrys description, yv12interlacedreducedby2 reduces the width and the height of your video by 2 so a clip with 720x576 is reduced to 352x288. That's why the encoding is so fast!!
i'd say it's absolutely nonsens to use this filter here!

bye,
Malcolm
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2004, 18:50   #6  |  Link
rishardc

Malcom you are correct. I started using a different filter once I foudn that out. Though I do want to test something. When I use the filter it takes 1920x1080 and reduces it to like 960x544 or somthing like that. Maybe I can use a simpleresize in the same script and increase it to 1280x720. I'm not sure how that will affect quality though. I'm going to have to do several tests to find out.
Old 29th April 2004, 20:59   #7  |  Link
The Belgain

Don't reduce the resolution of a clip, then increase it. It will mean that your 1280x720 output only really has the detail of a 960x540 clip.
Old 30th April 2004, 20:33   #8  |  Link
rishardc

Yeah I wound up never going through with that test. I was getting anywhere from 6-11 fps when doing a simpleresize down to 1280x720, and so far all of the files are able to fit on DVD-R so I'm happy.
Old 4th May 2004, 15:14   #9  |  Link
kunwho

Hi, forgive me for hijacking the thread.

I decoded The Two Towers .ts file from 15gb to 3gb using VDM and Xvid 1.0 RC4 and using the same AVIsynth as yours. The picture quality is very good.

I like to know if you have to wait for the media player (I tried both WM9 and zoomplayer) to play the file? The media player hangs for about 2 mins and there a CPU utilization of about 30% before the content start playing. It streams from the start with DVD but hangs on hidef. Anyone with the same problem?
kunwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2004, 15:52   #10  |  Link
rishardc

Anytime I play something with WM9 it starts right away. I have never done the encoding with Xvid so that might be part of the problem. Maybe its your system specs?