Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 14th November 2002, 16:08   #21  |  Link
trbarry

Well, there should not be any SSE2 currently in TomsMoComp, but something might have sneaked in somewhere and I'm testing on a P4.

But it is probably a mixed version problem. I'll down fresh copies of the current everything, including my own stuff, and test again.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2002, 03:36   #22  |  Link
trbarry

Pls try again

I spent today in the worst of all worlds. The release version of TomsMoComp would crash but the moment I'd recompile it for debug it would start working so I couldn't find the problem.

I think that is related to the somewhat automatic inlining that VS 6 helpfully does. Anyway I turned that (back) off and TomsMoComp seems to work better now. There are too darn many compiler options and I think the default ones may have changed in Avisynth 2.5. And I don't understand most of them.

But please try www.trbarry.com/TomsMoComp.zip and let me know.

- Tom

Last edited by trbarry; 17th November 2002 at 19:11.
Old 15th November 2002, 07:15   #23  |  Link
CruNcher

No access violations anymore on my P4 SSE2 optimisation would be
indeed a great idear it powered mpeg2dec well
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2002, 12:49   #24  |  Link
lighty

Yup- same here! It works on my AthlonXP without any errors (so far). As for speed testing I still have to do those but I will report ASAP.

Thx for the effort trbarry!

OK- I tested speed and I experienced speed drop from 26-28fps to 15-16fps. It seems also that when TomsMoComp deinterlace algorithm kicks in fps suddenly drops down to 3-5fps and after it's done processing those frames it gets back to 15-16fps.
Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVISYNTH2\PLUGINS\MPEG2DEC3.DLL")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVISYNTH2\PLUGINS\TOMSMOCOMP.DLL")
MPEG2Source("D:\Red Dwarf\video_ts\1\11.d2v")
SetMemoryMax(256)

TomsMoComp(1,5,0)

crop(18,0,688,574)
LanczosResize(608,464)

Last edited by lighty; 15th November 2002 at 16:51.
lighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2002, 15:19   #25  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
No access violations anymore on my P4 SSE2 optimisation would be indeed a great idear it powered mpeg2dec well
Glad to hear that.

Actually I previously wrote at least 3 different versions of TomsMoComp using SSE2. None of them showed any significant performance improvement so I ripped it all back out just to keep things simpler. SSE2 gains an advantage when you can access a lot of 16 byte aligned fields in linear fashion but TomsMoComp is looking at surrounding pixels at offsets of +1,-1, +2, etc so it doesn't seem to help as much.

Of all my Avisynth filters, only SimpleResize has any SSE2 code that really seems to give an advantage. And even there I wrote some code that I eventually removed.

But DVD2AVI and MPEG2DEC gained about 10-20% IIRC.

I think many MMX assembler video filters are limited by the memory bandwidth of accessing all the data, not the calculations that are done on it.

- Tom
Old 15th November 2002, 18:54   #26  |  Link
hakko504
Remember Rule One

@Bach

You have a valid point, written the way I have done it in that script will produce some bobbing, and previously I've used this script with good results.
Code:
function GreedyBob(clip clip, int "Topfirst")
{
Top=clip.GreedyHMA(default(Topfirst,1),0,0,0,0,0,0,0)
Bottom=clip.GreedyHMA(default(1-Topfirst,0),0,0,0,0,0,0,0)
return Interleave(Top,Bottom)
}
video=SegmentedAVISource("mjpeg_capture.avi").ConvertToYuY2() #352x576 PAL captures
GreedyBob(video)
Convolution3D(preset="MovieLQ")
VericalReduceBy2()
But that's the point I'm trying to make: by adding this function into a deinterlacer, a frame/field dependancy can be added to get rid of the bobbing effects, as it is possible to determine where edges and other moving parts are.

EDIT: Forgot C3D

http://www.boardgamegeek.com

Last edited by hakko504; 16th November 2002 at 01:29.
hakko504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2002, 07:53   #27  |  Link
wing1

@trbarry

Quote:
This version does NOT yet support the SearchEffort=-1 parm that does a vertical screen doubling. Sorry, that needs more debugging and is turned off.
I just switched over to 2.5 and everything are working great, but I missed that vertical screen doubling feature in your filter; I used it on all my scripts. For now I do a convertoyuy2() and converttoyv12(), which defeat the whole purpose of 2.5 . Why do i do that? because of undot.dll and Marc FD's asharp.dll

Thank you guys for such great filters!
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2002, 08:59   #28  |  Link
trbarry

Wing1 -

Sorry, I meant to get that part done right away but wrote a completely different filter instead. I'll fix that.

- Tom
Old 21st November 2002, 17:15   #29  |  Link
wing1

@trbarry

thank you for responding....there is nothing to be sorry about. You are the developer ( free at that! ), and users like me can only request and eagerly await for the releases

I tried the -1 option on the 2.5 version, and it works for a few frames and then the pictures split up vertically with scramble video in between.
wing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2002, 18:37   #30  |  Link
trbarry

It's funny it gives wierd results. I thought I had turned it off completely for YV12 for now.

- Tom
Old 26th November 2002, 19:06   #31  |  Link
JohnMK

@ all

Thank you so much for this filter. You've undoubtedly put in a lot of effort to perfect it and I for one am appreciative.

@ trbarry

Don't lose hope with the P4 optimizations; they're certainly appreciated where and when you volunteer to implement them. More and more people are getting P4's. I just bought one in fact, after a 3-year hiatus from all Intel products.

Do you know if it would make any sense whatsoever to implement hyperthreading awareness, or is this something best done at the avisynth level? I don't know if avisynth uses multiple threads or not.
JohnMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 01:05   #32  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
Do you know if it would make any sense whatsoever to implement hyperthreading awareness, or is this something best done at the avisynth level? I don't know if avisynth uses multiple threads or not.
For up to 2 processors it's probably best at the Virtualdub level where it is now. I think Vdub uses a separate task for decoding and encoding, which already splits it rather well.

I have a single processor P4 running Windows/Me and know little about this part anyway. So I likely won't be doing it.

- Tom