Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 2nd June 2012, 23:36   #3741  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

So your proof is that he stopped one project and started another? Yeah, that implies a pattern of behavior...

You could think of it as "he reaches the limits of what can be accomplished with one project, and rather than do a full version number release that changes the way everything is done, he starts the next one as a separate project to avoid user confusion".
Old 3rd June 2012, 00:24   #3742  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Or as he completed a project his programming and design skills got better and he wanted to create new programs based on better knowledge and design.
flebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 23:08   #3743  |  Link
valnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
So your proof is that he stopped one project and started another? Yeah, that implies a pattern of behavior...

You could think of it as "he reaches the limits of what can be accomplished with one project, and rather than do a full version number release that changes the way everything is done, he starts the next one as a separate project to avoid user confusion".
Well, it wasn't my original comment, but sort of. He started TWO projects and stopped BOTH. He currently is not updating his last project (this one), nor has he started another that I'm aware of. I've even donated money to him over the years.

That being said, he wouldn't be the first developer who has done that. Many projects just "stop" all the time. But most on this forum who were familiar with AutoMKV and HDConvertToX are upset simply because there is no suitable alternative that is as good. HandBrake comes close IMO, but still lacks the options. Had an inferior GUI stopped development, nobody would care, but many regard Buzzqw's work as the best in the field.
valnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 00:45   #3744  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

I liked Buzzqw work. His work appeared to end largely when his family expanded with more kids. So it's good his focus is there.

It is harsh to say there is no replacement. Both Ripbot and zathors new Megui one click are far better than Handbrake IMO.
Old 4th June 2012, 03:10   #3745  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
But most on this forum who were familiar with AutoMKV and HDConvertToX are upset simply because there is no suitable alternative that is as good. HandBrake comes close IMO, but still lacks the options. Had an inferior GUI stopped development, nobody would care, but many regard Buzzqw's work as the best in the field.
I've found Xvid4PSP to be a good replacement (the 5.0 branch that's maintained on Google Code). It has plenty of options you can set through the GUI instead of having to type the x264 command string out yourself, and is far easier that HDConvertToX when you're encoding for a specific portable device.

One of the few places Xvid4PSP doesn't compete is making files with multiple audio or subtitle tracks. I usually have to do secondary audio-only encoding and remux stuff.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:13   #3746  |  Link
Ramir Gonzales

Quote:
Originally Posted by flebber View Post
Or as he completed a project his programming and design skills got better and he wanted to create new programs based on better knowledge and design.
Quite the contrary. Once he reaches the same spot, which it gets a little less easy, he abandons and starts from 0, and he keeps on repeating the same pattern. He doesn't learn, he doesn't WANT to learn.

Then, it's much better the way he's doing now, stop screwing around with GUI's if you don't wanna learn along the way anyway.
Ramir Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 23:32   #3747  |  Link
valnar

Which current program is a good GUI to go to that handles multiple audio & subtitle tracks? It also needs to handle resizing, black bar removal, anamorphic (either keep or remove) and auto aspect ratio correctly? I consider filters a bonus, but not necessity.

Buzzqw's two products didn't necessarily automate all those processes, but they were available. Everything from analog or DVD rip to the final MKV file could be done in one program, then batched.
Old 4th June 2012, 23:48   #3748  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Quote:
Which current program is a good GUI to go to that handles multiple audio & subtitle tracks? It also needs to handle resizing, black bar removal, anamorphic (either keep or remove) and auto aspect ratio correctly? I consider filters a bonus, but not necessity.

Buzzqw's two products didn't necessarily automate all those processes, but they were available. Everything from analog or DVD rip to the final MKV file could be done in one program, then batched.
Same as Megui one click. Ripbot as well except in its case it will do 1 audio only.
Old 5th June 2012, 23:13   #3749  |  Link
fantasmanegro

Quote:

By far... StaxRip... 2 audio traks max, many subtitles files, resizing, cropping (black bar removal), aspect ratio support, x264 tune, profiles, devices support, xvid compressibility test, batch mode, preview window, profiles support, mp3, aac, multichannel support, etc, etc, etc...

fantasmanegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 09:27   #3750  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramir Gonzales View Post
Quite the contrary. Once he reaches the same spot, which it gets a little less easy, he abandons and starts from 0, and he keeps on repeating the same pattern. He doesn't learn, he doesn't WANT to learn.
Again... Really... If this is so, please provide the proof?
Old 6th June 2012, 11:44   #3751  |  Link
valnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Sigh....the typical Internet response, like any one of us have a dissertation ready to give you. Why don't you look at the features between the two programs and let us know if you see any major differences.
Old 6th June 2012, 13:54   #3752  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Quote:
Sigh....the typical Internet response, like any one of us have a dissertation ready to give you. Why don't you look at the features between the two programs and let us know if you see any major differences.
features != design
Old 6th June 2012, 14:19   #3753  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

In the time buzzqw was here he gave us some good encoding products and was keen to integrate suggestions by forum members.

However, like everyone here, buzzqw also has a personal life. And given he has not posted anything on the forum since the 27th of October 2010 or been active on the forum since the 8th of September 2011, I hope he's enjoying himself.

Best wishes to the guy...
Old 6th June 2012, 15:33   #3754  |  Link
fantasmanegro

Quote:
Well, i guess that cannot be possible at least you check it's own thread and make your own tests...
Old 6th June 2012, 16:09   #3755  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasmanegro View Post
Well, i guess that cannot be possible at least you check it's own thread and make your own tests...
Tell you what. Instead of moaning. How about you guys work together and mak your own GUI.

Only then will you find out how much work is involved. Only then will you understand when it's time to quit and do other stuff with your life!
Old 6th June 2012, 16:43   #3756  |  Link
fantasmanegro

Quote:
Tell you what. Instead of moaning. How about you guys work together and mak your own GUI.

Only then will you find out how much work is involved. Only then will you understand when it's time to quit and do other stuff with your life!
Believe me, i really knows how much work is involved... and thats why i know a REALLY GOOD GUI when i see it...

MKVMagic
AutoMKV
HDConverToX
AutoX264
AutoMen
AutoWebM

i tested all the guis...

but it's not the same his effort and user likes... maybe it puts his soul in all the guis but you just dont like it (for example)...

i really like AviDemux, RipBot264, HandBrake GUI, and StaxRip and if you ask why... well..

AvideMux is Like VirtualDub... with steroids...
RipBot264 because is very easy to use and has a minmalistic gui...

Handbrake... i don't know but i like it too

and StaxRip because is like GordianKnot or even better...

there was a RipPack called ARCalculator.... it was good... really good...

Last edited by fantasmanegro; 6th June 2012 at 16:45.
Old 8th June 2012, 11:57   #3757  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

Quote:
That being said, he wouldn't be the first developer who has done that. Many projects just "stop" all the time.
But most on this forum who were familiar with AutoMKV and HDConvertToX are upset simply because there is no suitable alternative that is as good.
HandBrake comes close IMO, but still lacks the options.
Had an inferior GUI stopped development, nobody would care, but many regard Buzzqw's work as the best in the field.
GNU software can be a hard road to travel although there are many glittering success stories (even big projects like UNIX) .

Unfortunately , software is a neverending story ... maintainability is key (and no man is an island) .
When I studied computer science at UCT in the 80's ... structured and well documented programs were essential to allow new programmers to take over when staff moved on
(gone were the days of spaghetti code ... we weren't even allowed to use the Goto statement) .

HDConverToX was 99% complete but you can't simply plug in the latest Nero or 10-bit x264* encoder (which allows for more accurate computations) .

It's all good

* 10-bit x264 is analogeous to the millenium bug ... 8-bit encoding was used to save space but causes rounding errors which translates into less quality and bigger encodes .
x265 is also out there .
Old 18th June 2012, 18:04   #3758  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

deinterlace filter ... batch encoding

Has anyone noticed that the deinterlace filter fails to work during batch encoding ?
How can I fix this ?

It's all good

Pascal

Old 6th July 2012, 21:49   #3759  |  Link
Honeyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasmanegro View Post
AvideMux is Like VirtualDub... with steroids...
Do you know if it's possible to add filters in AvideMux?

(In particular I need MVdegrain3.)
Honeyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 22:43   #3760  |  Link
fantasmanegro

i guess you can add filters but i have never tried it....

but you can use MVDegrain3 with AviSynth and open the AVS file in Avidemux!

Tags
bluray, hdc, hdconverttox, m2ts, network media tank, playstation, x264 gui