Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 23rd October 2006, 10:47   #161  |  Link
SergeyFedosov

My sympathy to DeathTheSheep and CronoCross. By the way, Bond, I presume that you have a car. Do you know, that its engine was described in 1509 and industrially implemented in 1823? Since that time the only progress was associated with new metals, bigger cylinders, some electronics and polished surface. More or less the same about ships, trains, planes, electricity and encoding with VfW. Does this mean that you reject all the above items because of their obsolete technology? I am encoding since appearance of DivX slow/fast motion (was it 1998-1999?) and your position looks pretty bizarre to me.
SergeyFedosov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 12:53   #162  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

The comparison of vfw to an engine is misleading - while the petrol engine has not yet been replaced with a newer version, vfw has. You would be better to compare it to the phase out of leaded petrol in favour of unleaded petrol.
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 13:46   #163  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofaGap View Post
I think an MP4source or MatroskaSource wouldn't be that different from DirectShowSource, since you'd still rely on DirectShow to do decoding. If you want to move away from DirectShowSource, perhaps something like ffmpegSource would be necessary.
To wrap up the discussion about alternatives to DSS().

I've spoken with Haali himself on the topic.

To sum up: atm he is not quite interested in the development of either MP4Source() or MKVSource() (or HaaliSource() to handle them all, as I suggested :P)

(But I guess if you beg him he might change his position :P)

He reminds ppl of his tool called mkv2vfr which from recent versions supports AVC video streams as well.

N.B. the reason avc is not quite suitable for VfW is "b-pyramide", this feature, to my knowledge, can't be correctly implemented on VfW.

Last edited by Egh; 23rd October 2006 at 13:49.
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 13:47   #164  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
Exactly what I ment, but I do want to be able to encode stuff in H264 through VirtualDub(mod).
"I want" are not the correct words. If "you want" then do it by yourself.
Pretending is the right way to get just nothing.
Quote:
And ... i'm just used to doing things this way (been using virtualdub for so long now, i couldn't see myself switching easily ... maybe im finaly getting old )
so long the tools you used to encode are so old they're no longed supported. it's time to learn how to use new tools.
However as i said thousands of times, you can use the Vdub frameserving capability to feed the frames to x264 CLI (or even to megui), so you can get the best of both "worlds".

Last edited by Sharktooth; 23rd October 2006 at 13:50.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 14:09   #165  |  Link
tomos

but how to edit mp4 files? i've tried avidemux but it doesnt work with large files from what i've tried. e.g 7gig file wont open but i cut a small (5mb) sample and that loaded fine.
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:09   #166  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

actually if avidemux doesnt open it, you cant. try splitting the file with mp4box then edit it. When you're done, rejoin the files.
However the problem exists also with AVI files (cant be bigger than 4 gigz) but that's an AVI limitation.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 23rd October 2006 at 15:12.
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:17   #167  |  Link
xyloy
x264 & XviD rules! ;-)

He's talking about large MP4 files.

Quote:
so long the tools you used to encode are so old they're no longed supported. it's time to learn how to use new tools.
If a tool works, why trash it... The choice should be left up to the user.
Unrecommended Codecs: everything else.
xyloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 15:40   #168  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
"I want" are not the correct words. If "you want" then do it by yourself.
Pretending is the right way to get just nothing.

However as i said thousands of times, you can use the Vdub frameserving capability to feed the frames to x264 CLI (or even to megui), so you can get the best of both "worlds".
If you're not able to help me, or just plainly don't want to help, please dont react.

And the other case: Not everybody is from a country where English is the native language. So the "want" thing you are on about just might be some form of translational error, expressing my wish for some workable form of H264 encoding-posibillities in VDmod.

About VD(mod); I just like to work with those tools. They work just fine with my avisynth scripts & XviD encodings, because XviD encoding is the biggest bulk of stuff I do. And there was a new release of VDmod not to long ago, so it's not THAT old.

Last edited by G_M_C; 23rd October 2006 at 15:48.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 16:23   #169  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

G_M_C, take a look at this and let us know if that is a possible solution for you. We still need to update the information about whether colormatrix comes in to play as frameserving is rgb. Anybody that has a good grasp of that subject can update the wiki (correct, check?) Frameserving from VDM to x264 cli, or one of the GUI's, is a lot simpler than it might sound.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 08:05   #170  |  Link
SergeyFedosov

G_M_C, just go to the site
http://gabextreme.googlepages.com/x264vfwunited
download x264 VfW and do whatever you wish with the codec and VDub.
A comment. Many inventors often forget about COMPATIBILITY with previously available technique (obsolete but customary). If something was started and became widespread, it is practically impossible to change the habitual way of things. Example: the letters on our keyboards are situated in the most stupid order just because the original typewriters had mechanical problems in typing, let us say, “the”. Yet, none of the attempts to make a more convenient layout succeeded.
SergeyFedosov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 08:19   #171  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDogg View Post
G_M_C, take a look at this and let us know if that is a possible solution for you. We still need to update the information about whether colormatrix comes in to play as frameserving is rgb. Anybody that has a good grasp of that subject can update the wiki (correct, check?) Frameserving from VDM to x264 cli, or one of the GUI's, is a lot simpler than it might sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyFedosov View Post

A comment. Many inventors often forget about COMPATIBILITY with previously available technique (obsolete but customary). If something was started and became widespread, it is practically impossible to change the habitual way of things. Example: the letters on our keyboards are situated in the most stupid order just because the original typewriters had mechanical problems in typing, let us say, “the”. Yet, none of the attempts to make a more convenient layout succeeded.
This is more or less the thought that occurred to me; Why should backwards compatibillity be thown overboard so easyly ? Think of the fact that (estimated) 80% of video-stuff is done bij amateurs that are happy using the product they got with their camera, wich happens to be based upon VfW codecs.

But enough about this pro vs. con argumenting; I'm gonna make some time of in the next few weeks to set up one of my computers to work with X264/H264. Maybe even try stuff like nVidia's PureVideo decoder and such (on my 7800GS plus). See if I can find out what works best, but from the standpoint that I have to be able to keep using AviSynth and all its filter-possibillities. Thx all for the insight
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 11:25   #172  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

Quote:
Another fallacy! Argumentum ad antiquitam - just because we have always done something one way does not mean it is right or correct. Just because it is customary to do things one way in no way validates future choices of similar decisions.
As to the second prong of your argument (change is hard), you forget that examples - by themself - prove nothing.

Last edited by check; 24th October 2006 at 13:44.
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 11:40   #173  |  Link
GodofaGap

Quote:
We still need to update the information about whether colormatrix comes in to play as frameserving is rgb.
You don't need colormatrix, but you will need to use Converttoyv12 with the correct matrix for the encoder.
GodofaGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 13:36   #174  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
To make what? A 7Gb AVI? Sorry its not possible...
Think before you speak.
Old 24th October 2006, 14:41   #175  |  Link
tomos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
To make what? A 7Gb AVI? Sorry its not possible...
Think before you speak.
7gb avi? yes it is possible. i know since i have one on my drive right now.
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2006, 15:11   #176  |  Link
GodofaGap

Opendml avis can exceed the 2 GB standard AVI limit by a very large amount (~2^64-1 bytes (?))

Last edited by GodofaGap; 24th October 2006 at 15:14.
Old 24th October 2006, 15:20   #177  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

True, but AFAIK vdub(mod) isnt able to edit them.
Old 24th October 2006, 15:25   #178  |  Link
GodofaGap

You are wrong. It would be pretty silly if VirtualDub couldn't read its own files right?
Old 24th October 2006, 15:27   #179  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

it may be. it has been... well, a lot of time since i dont use vdub.
however i clearly remember it had problems with huge AVIs. Maybe things have changed with new versions.
Old 24th October 2006, 15:29   #180  |  Link
GodofaGap

If you don't use and don't know a tool, don't talk about it. Very simple.