Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 20th January 2017, 08:15   #1  |  Link
hbenthow

Recommended ffdshow installation settings for BD Rebuilder?

I recently bought a new computer, and installed BD Rebuilder on it. I found that the setting "Use DirectShowSource for frame serving" in the setup options was greyed out. From what I've read online, this is apparently because I don't have ffdshow installed.

My questions are as follows:

Firstly, is "Use DirectShowSource for frame serving" the recommended setting?

Secondly, is the reason the box is greyed out indeed because of a lack of ffdshow being present on my computer?

Thirdly, when I began to install ffdshow, I found that there are a large number of options. The "Select Components" options are fairly few (I assume that it should be safe to check all of them), but the options regarding which video and audio codecs to decode with ffdshow are overwhelming, especially in regard to BD Rebuilder (as I assume that the wrong ffdshow settings could cause problems with BD-RB). I am not certain whether to A: just go with the defaults, B: check all of the boxes, or perhaps C: uncheck even some of the defaults. Which options should I check?

PS - I just noticed that the "One Pass (CRF) Encoding" option under "Encoder Settings" is also greyed out. Is this problematic, and is it also due to a lack of ffdshow?

Last edited by hbenthow; 20th January 2017 at 08:17.
hbenthow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 18:07   #2  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Reading the BDRB thread 1st post would help. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

item 2B. It's not recommended to use over LAV filters, both work equally good. It's only recommended to use the SPECIFIC versions listed in that thread. Pretty logical that setting isn't possible to select if the tool required for it (ffdshow) doesn't exist on the system.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 19:09   #3  |  Link
hbenthow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
Reading the BDRB thread 1st post would help. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

item 2B. It's not recommended to use over LAV filters, both work equally good. It's only recommended to use the SPECIFIC versions listed in that thread. Pretty logical that setting isn't possible to select if the tool required for it (ffdshow) doesn't exist on the system.
But what that thread doesn't specify is which settings to check when running the ffdshow installer.

Here are the settings I mean (I left them on their default settings for these screenshots, but don't know what options I should check when actually installing ffdshow).

Last edited by hbenthow; 20th January 2017 at 19:15.
Old 20th January 2017, 21:23   #4  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

yes it does, read it again. Step 8. You can do that during install or after install. Anything it DOESNT tell you to do, leave it alone.
Old 20th January 2017, 22:53   #5  |  Link
hbenthow

Quote:
yes it does, read it again. Step 8. You can do that during install or after install. Anything it DOESNT tell you to do, leave it alone.
One quick question:

I believe that in Step 8, regarding VC-1, he means to enable it in ffdshow. But by "For Vista or Windows 7+ using "Video Decoder Configuration" -- select "wmv9", is he also referring to settings within ffdshow? That is to say, is "Video Decoder Configuration" ffdshow's settings menu?

Last edited by hbenthow; 20th January 2017 at 22:59.
Old 20th January 2017, 23:09   #6  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Whether you do it directly though setup or afterwards through video/audio configuration doesn't matter. It configures the same setting, and it's not just vc-1 you need to do

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) with Tapatalk
Old 20th January 2017, 23:12   #7  |  Link
hbenthow

Quote:
Whether you do it directly though setup or afterwards through video/audio configuration doesn't matter. It configures the same setting, and it's not just vc-1 you need to do.
By "not just VC-1", do you mean just MPEG2 and wmv9 in addition, or others as well? VC-1, MPEG2 and wmv9 are the only ones that I saw mentioned in that thread.
Old 21st January 2017, 08:01   #8  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Then you need to read it again

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.
Old 21st January 2017, 14:45   #9  |  Link
clsid

Forget about ffdshow. Just install LAV Filters with default settings. That is superior.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 18:47   #10  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Forget about ffdshow. Just install LAV Filters with default settings. That is superior.
Exactly. Which is why the instructions say it is preferred...
Old 22nd January 2017, 06:03   #11  |  Link
hbenthow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Exactly. Which is why the instructions say it is preferred...
But won't I inevitably eventually need ffdshow for some other program (AviSynth, VirtualDub, SolviegMM Video Splitter, etc), even if I don't need it for BD-Rebuilder?

If I wish to only use LAV for BD-Rebuilder (as, based on what you wrote, LAV is apparently better), but still install ffmpeg just in case I need it for other programs, should I use the same same steps and settings you outlined in your BD-RB thread, or other settings?

Also, unless I am misunderstanding something, your instructions in said thread for installing both LAV and ffmpeg require only the following:

1. Install ffmpeg and Haali before LAV, rather than after.

2. Make sure MPEG2, VC-1, and wmv9 are enabled in the ffmpeg video settings.

3. Make sure "Uncompressed" is set to "All Supported" in the ffmpeg audio settings.

Am I missing anything? Do I need to change any other defaults in the ffmpeg installation (seen in the numerous screencaps I posted above)? And is it safe to check all of the options seen in this one photo (including those left unchecked by default), in case I ever need the unchecked components/plugins:

Old 26th January 2017, 22:29   #12  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Don't install what you don't know you need. If certain apps require ffdshow they'll either implement their own version or tell you to install it. Unless you have apps that do that, use lav.

Again leave the default settings alone other than the ones you were told about. Stop messing with things you don't need to mess with our know what the effects can be.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 27th January 2017 at 12:29.
Old 26th January 2017, 23:17   #13  |  Link
hbenthow

Thank you all for the advice.

Tags
bd rebuilder, codecs, ffdshow