Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 27th February 2005, 20:58   #1  |  Link

DGIndex 1.3.0 beta 5

OK guys, here's the prime-time video demuxing. It will start saving at the first sequence header for maximum compatibility with other applications. That means if you have stray frames at the beginning before the first sequence header, you'll lose them, which will affect audio sync. Valid M2V files need to have a sequence header before any pictures.

The output file is in the same directory as the input files and takes the name of the first file but with extension changed to "m2v".

http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec130b5.zip

Last edited by Guest; 25th March 2005 at 03:46.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 09:09   #2  |  Link
Zep

Re: DGIndex 1.3.0 beta 1 -- adds video demuxing

Quote:
Originally posted by neuron2
OK guys, here's the prime-time video demuxing. It will start saving at the first sequence header for maximum compatibility with other applications. That means if you have stray frames at the beginning before the first sequence header, you'll lose them, which will affect audio sync. Valid M2V files need to have a sequence header before any pictures.

The output file is in the same directory as the input files and takes the name of the first file but with extension changed to "m2v".

http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/DGIndex130b1.zip
straight demux or more like projectx where it fixes audio sync
and also inserts silence in the inserted audio chunks to get sync,
at an example, in drops of a HDTV .ts stream.

sync at each GOP? each frame?

is there a way to detect dupe frames at this level and then
when making the d2v just write all the good frames out. Does
a .ts stream even have that info or are we stuck always having
to decimate? i ask because my HDTV card does in fact decimate
in real time to the screen but the .ts file has all the dupes
of course. So it is does appear that it is possible to read the
ts and know what to decimate but my card could be doing some
hack to do that and not be following the standards/true specs.
Zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 09:43   #3  |  Link
TEB

Neuron2: Ive tested some problematic files on it and im seeing some strange things. Plz dl the new u5712005 file and check what u can see. Im getting macroblocking and various video errors and our test eq. says the file are perfectly fine. (mprobe, matzasina mpegts analyzer)

I have another file to: a invalid one i think (made with some optibase eq.. sucky..) its an mpeg1 system file with mpeg2 ES streams within.. DGindex just crashes or times out. Ive put it on the server to for u to test.. DGindex should spit out some kind of warning popup. File outa bounds or something non mpeg spec.. = emil_lonneberget.mpg

best regards te
TEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 10:57   #4  |  Link
bond

i didnt test it but is video demuxing supposed to work with mpeg-4 (asp and avc streams) in .mpg?
what about aac btw?

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 11:55   #5  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
i didnt test it but is video demuxing supposed to work with mpeg-4 (asp and avc streams) in .mpg?
what about aac btw?
Might be worth a try!

I've just fed it with an Mpeg2 .TS file with AAC audio. And after manually entering the PID information, the file was de-muxed perfectly.

Many, many thanks for this tool DG

EDIT: Hi bond...

Just tried loading an MainConcept H264/AVC .mpg file into it.

And although DGIndex 1.3.0 beta1 swallowed the file, I was not able de-mux the streams. Sadly it was not possible for me to gain access to the files PID data, via the "Stream" option setting

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 28th February 2005 at 12:07.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 13:21   #6  |  Link
ppera2

Hmmm... folks...
Why immediatelly starting with big expectations?
Can it Mp4, AAC... ?

I think that programmer will be enough busy with fixing problems by Mpeg2 demuxing in next period.

Knowing Donald, I'm positive about new features implementations in future
Old 28th February 2005, 13:42   #7  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
Just tried loading an MainConcept H264/AVC .mpg file into it.

And although DGIndex 1.3.0 beta1 swallowed the file, I was not able de-mux the streams. Sadly it was not possible for me to gain access to the files PID data, via the "Stream" option setting
mainconcept avc .mpg transportstreams are b0rked

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 13:44   #8  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
mainconcept avc .mpg transportstreams are b0rked
Do you have any other samples I could try?

Cheers
Old 28th February 2005, 14:27   #9  |  Link

DGMPGDec is an MPEG2 decoder. It demuxes M2V video. DGIndex has for some time been able to demux AAC audio.

There is currently no special handling for damaged streams. I plan to write a preprocessor for fixing up damaged streams.

I added this feature because I needed to be able to make a single M2V from a series of VOBs. If it is useful for anything else, that is gravy to me.

I will have a look at TEB's u5712005 file.
Old 28th February 2005, 14:49   #10  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi Donald,

How difficult would it be to add Mpeg1 support?

Cheers
Old 28th February 2005, 15:04   #11  |  Link

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
How difficult would it be to add Mpeg1 support?
Funny you should ask. That was next on my list. I don't expect it to be very difficult.
Old 28th February 2005, 15:10   #12  |  Link

Quote:
Originally posted by TEB
Plz dl the new u5712005 file and check what u can see. Im getting macroblocking and various video errors and our test eq. says the file are perfectly fine.
I loaded the transport file and did F5. I saw numerous video errors (1 and 2) but I saw no macroblocking. I then demuxed the video, and loaded that into DGIndex and did F5. It gave exactly the same result: video errors at the same places and no macroblocking. The problem is in your source. DGMPGDec is pretty good at recovering from these errors now. If you import the M2V into another application that is less capable in that regard, you may have problems. The whole area of repair for transport streams is something I am looking at.

EDIT: The latest BSPlayer plays the demuxed M2V just fine, no sign of any macroblocking.

Quote:
I have another file to: a invalid one i think (made with some optibase eq.. sucky..) its an mpeg1 system file with mpeg2 ES streams within.. DGindex just crashes or times out. Ive put it on the server to for u to test.. DGindex should spit out some kind of warning popup. File outa bounds or something non mpeg spec.. = emil_lonneberget.mpg
I'll look at this tonight.

Last edited by Guest; 28th February 2005 at 15:17.
Old 28th February 2005, 15:34   #13  |  Link
TEB

strange.. I get some macroblocking when i have some heavy field"ing" during the company logo in the beginning..

Check ure pm for a log from the mpeg2 analyzer and see if u can understand why some PRO analyzers say its ok and dgindex says otherwize..
TEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 15:49   #14  |  Link

Quote:
Originally posted by TEB
strange.. I get some macroblocking when i have some heavy field"ing" during the company logo in the beginning..
OK, I stepped through and did see a bad frame or two during the Universal logo. You've got bad video data, what can I do?

Quote:
Check ure pm for a log from the mpeg2 analyzer and see if u can understand why some PRO analyzers say its ok and dgindex says otherwize.. [/B]
It's a stream analyzer, right? Does it decode every video slice? I doubt it.
Old 1st March 2005, 01:11   #15  |  Link
Cyberia

Don, this version fixes the demuxing problem I had before with the FTE6.vob. Good job.

EDIT: However... You have a problem with an error dialog that appears if the m2v file cannot be opened. It just keeps retrying and retrying forever.

Save a project, open the m2v in vdubmod and try to resave the project.

Last edited by Cyberia; 1st March 2005 at 01:13.
Cyberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 01:38   #16  |  Link

@Cyberia

Yes, that's right. It catches you in a very long loop. I wanted to punish the user. But you've convinced me that it is not right to abuse my users like that. Sorry.

Here is a kinder, gentler version. The user will need to seek salvation elsewhere.

http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/DGIndex130b2.zip

And, oh, it didn't retry forever. It only retried for each sequence header. Please try to be more accurate with your trouble reports in the future. We're counting on you!

Last edited by Guest; 1st March 2005 at 01:44.
Old 1st March 2005, 02:04   #17  |  Link
Cyberia

Well no doubt the users deserve it! You are a merciful programmer indeed.

This version now aborts the m2v creation in this instance, and goes ahead and writes the d2v and ac3 files. Not that thats wrong... I just expected it to abort the whole shebang. You exceeded my expectations.

Ummm... On a hunch though I found a new bug. If the audio file (AC3 in this case) is in use when you try to save a project, DGIndex CRASHES. oh the agony.

And, what the heck. Here's a third odd thing. DGIndex doesn't lock the d2v file when it's writing it out. You can open two instances of DGIndex and have them both write to the same d2v at the same time. Dooesn't crash though!
Old 1st March 2005, 03:13   #18  |  Link

The horror.

I'll never be the same again.

When I have hunches, I call them Grunches = Graft hunches. In your case I suppose they could be Crunchies.

Last edited by Guest; 1st March 2005 at 03:17.
Old 1st March 2005, 05:08   #19  |  Link
Cyberia

Files do not have to be in use, setting read only and re-saving project does same effect.

FYI (some more crunchies) :

LPCM (Decoded to WAV) ... same problem, crashes DGIndex if it can't write the file. I assume all audio types have same problem.

AVS scripts (automatic from templates) ... does NOT crash DGIndex if it can't write the file. Does not write the file, but does NOT complain that it can't write the file either. (this is minor, but now you know )
Old 1st March 2005, 05:21   #20  |  Link
Cyberia

And another thing...

How the heck do you manage to get 1700+ views on this thread in TWO DAYS!!! You're just about to exceed the FAQ views accumulated over two MONTHS.

Some guys have all the luck...