Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 26th February 2004, 14:54   #81  |  Link
Wilbert

There exists a dvd2avi_aac by timecop:

http://pbx.mine.nu/dvd2avi/

Maybe you can try it out?
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2004, 15:37   #82  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilbert
There exists a dvd2avi_aac by timecop:

http://pbx.mine.nu/dvd2avi/

Maybe you can try it out?
Just tried it.

But for some reason it will only demux Mpeg2/AAC files. It can't demux any of the Mpeg2/AC3 files you gave me!

So still no 'holy grail' yet!

Can you try it please, just in case I've missed something?

Cheers
Old 7th March 2004, 17:53   #83  |  Link
Xleon

In reply to SeeMore

Quote:
Owners of the T2 Extreme DVD will get an insight of how 'film to digital' transfer techniques have changed after reading the sleeve notes. In fact the newly created digitised master (which at 24fps equals film speed) contains so much detail and resolution that only a very small percentage is carried over to the Mpeg2 DVD... To underline what I'm talking about, here's a direct quote from the sleeve notes.. "Because the video compression for DVD strips away nearly 98% of the original bits used on the uncompressed DVD master, THX reviews every shot to verify that the compression matches the source as closely as posible..."

I know this is a few pages ago, but to add to this, a lot of film work is now digitized to 2K format 4K. All of the professional movie effects systems can now operate in these two formats.

Here is some official details on it:

Short for the image size of 2048 x 1556. This is almost the same as the QXGA computer image resolution, has 3.19 Mpixels and a 1.316:1 aspect ratio – the same as full frame 35 mm film. This image size is increasingly used for digitising full frame 35 mm motion
picture film sampled in RGB colour space – making each image 12 MB. Sampling is usually at 10-bit resolution and may be linear or log, depending on the application.

Note that the sampling includes 20 lines of black between
frames because of the use of a full-frame camera aperture. Thus the actual ‘active’ picture area is 2048 x 1536 and has a 4:3 aspect ratio. Removing the aperture creates an ‘open gate’ format which may have no black bar between frames – so all 1556 lines carry picture information.
Xleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2004, 19:54   #84  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Thanks Xleon and welcome to the Doom9 forum

Yes, it would appear that things have moved on quite considerably in the world of film to digital image transferring.

Anyways, for those who are interested. Here's a link to the T2 Extreme sleeve notes!

How times change eh!
Old 7th March 2004, 20:09   #85  |  Link
Xleon

Cheers SeeMore, I seem to be following you around on these forums

Typed that a bit quick with a few typos. I left out that the 2K material means a storage requirement of 287Mbytes/Sec at 24fps !!
(Though I'm sure you already worked that out)

The (not so popular) 4K size (4096 x 3112), equates to 1.1Gbytes/Sec but the film industry has settled on 2K which was what the latest StarWars films were shot on.
Xleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2004, 03:21   #86  |  Link
virus
Senior n00b

hi!

to all you HD content lovers... I did a search on this forum but found no thread matching, so I'd like to outline this link:

http://www.ist-metavision.com

the Metavision project is an European effort to design a new hi-def camera with embedded lossless compression.
AFAIK the prototype captures at 1920x1080 @ 72fps
This way you can do 3:1 slow-motion keeping the smoothness of a 24 fps video. This should be fantastic for sport-related and, generally, all high-motion material.
Obviously they need in-place compression to reduce the outstanding bandwidth: a few gigabits per second...

cheers
virus
virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2004, 22:22   #87  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

For all those who would like to see some more HD XviD encodes (from an 1080i HiDef source), please look here: -

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...527#post467527

Cheers
Old 20th June 2004, 12:02   #88  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

For all those who may be interested how the film to HD digital transfer of Terminator 2 was made, I finally got round to converting the DVD's sleeve notes into an web page.

For more info please look here.

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 20th June 2004 at 17:50.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2004, 17:33   #89  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

Thanks, nice info...

Bye

Visit my IRC channel
Soulhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2004, 23:13   #90  |  Link
minolta

@SeeMoreDigital

I failed when conducting my own HD shootout, but think you might learn from results anyway:

http://hdtvshootout.tripod.com (better have popup-blocker...I'd host myself but 11MB too big)

This might be a "how not to conduct an HD shootout" page. I archive my favorite HD shows to DVD regurally (just Smallville actually). I liked my sources, sizes, and codecs at first, but tests took too long and results were not very exciting (wrote 80% of homepage during first encode job). Then I lost my stats, and called it quits. Well, any experience is good experience, so take what you will.
-Minolta
minolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 11:28   #91  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Nice one , thanks Minolta,

I will give it a read. But why all these pop-ups!

... I hate pop-ups

Cheers