Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th January 2012, 11:09   #8061  |  Link
blexley

Then why have the guide on your webpage if it's beneath you as a coder. ?

What is it with the abrasive rude attitude towards newbies in this thread , do you wan't peple to use your filter and to donate money or not. ?
blexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 11:22   #8062  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@blexley, the reason people are being rude to you has nothing to do with you being a newbie. Rudeness in these forums is usually just a reaction to annoying posts/behaviour. That said, I don't see nevcairiel's post as rude at all. He's just clearly saying that he's not interested in writing guides. What's rude about that? Nothing. He's just stating his preferences. However, insinuating that nevcairiel would feel that something were "beneath him" is quite rude in itself. So from my point of view, you're the one being rude here. And furthermore you're being rude to a developer who spends LOADS of his time to create free software for you. You should reconsider your style of posting if you don't want to end up on the ignore lists of all the most active developers in this forum.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 11:43   #8063  |  Link
blexley

What you have just posted is quite frankly ridiculous and illogical as how is a newbie supposed to enjoy all this so called time spent creating free software if there isn't a guide on how to use it correctly let alone donate money. ?

Are people supposed to be grateful and donate money for something they haven't even used yet and can't use until they know what exact settings to alter. ?

Last edited by blexley; 12th January 2012 at 11:53.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:57   #8064  |  Link
Koepi

blexley,

if a coder just wants to code, just let him do that. Website maintenance isn't real fun either, and as a starting point the old guide may be still of use for someone.

As you are that demanding - why don't _you_, who got 'a free lunch', take the time and write a guide and offer that?

Demanding is simple (and annoying, I can tell). Doing the real work however, is much more satisfying for everyone. So instead of just demand updates of documentation and website, write that guide. Which will bring you in a much better position to demand anything then, by the way.
Koepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 11:58   #8065  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You seem to think we all do this so people donate money, as you keep bringing up that point. But you're dead wrong.

I do this because i consider working on it fun.
Because of that, i only do things that are fun for me, and writing guides isn't one of these things, and dealing with obnoxious people isn't fun either - so i just ignore them.

I only put up the donation button because people asked if/how they could donate, and who am i to say no if they offer.
It always feels good getting a donation, as a recognition for my work, however i would still continue if i never got any donations.

There are plenty guides out there, and since using it "correctly" is rather subjective and depends on your goals, just pick one that suits your needs and go with it.
Just don't copy/paste some random guide into this thread or ask people to hand-hold you through the setup, this isn't the place for that.

Also, if you're such a "newbie", then use a codec pack, there are plenty of them that come with my filters, pre-configured with all the settings you need.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th January 2012 at 12:01. Reason: typos
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 12:09   #8066  |  Link
blexley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koepi View Post
blexley,

if a coder just wants to code, just let him do that. Website maintenance isn't real fun either, and as a starting point the old guide may be still of use for someone.

As you are that demanding - why don't _you_, who got 'a free lunch', take the time and write a guide and offer that?

Demanding is simple (and annoying, I can tell). Doing the real work however, is much more satisfying for everyone. So instead of just demand updates of documentation and website, write that guide. Which will bring you in a much better position to demand anything then, by the way.
Is this some sort of joke. ?

How is somebody with low computer skills who can't work out what settings are supposed to altered with MPC-HC and if i'm supposed to run MadVR aswell write the very step by step guide that i'm asking for. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
There are plenty guides out there, and since using it "correctly" is rather subjective and depends on your goals, just pick one that suits your needs and go with it. Just don't copy/paste some random guide into this thread or ask people to hand-hold you through the setup, this isn't the place for that.

Also, if you're such a "newbie", then use a codec pack, there are plenty of them that come with my filters, pre-configured with all the settings you need.
So you say use a guide without actually pointing to one and the one i do paste up and ask if it is accurate and can be used is hand holding. ?

The ridiculous logic and reasoning and contradictions to these posts instead of just helping is beyond belief.

Last edited by blexley; 12th January 2012 at 12:18.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:20   #8067  |  Link
entrecour

blexley, Here is IMHO a pretty comprehensive guide

Watching H.264 videos using Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA)

To simplify the setup further you can easily leave out halli, madflac, and ffdshow unless you have a specfic need for them.
entrecour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 12:24   #8068  |  Link
blexley

Thanks entrecour

You sir are a gent.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:33   #8069  |  Link
PeQuE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
nev, how is lav video decoder designed to handle acceleration of vc-1 on Nvidia cards that support only VDPAU feature set A. My GTX 295 only supports Set A which according to wikipedia is as follows

Feature Set A
Complete acceleration for H.264
Partial acceleration for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VC-1/WMV9

When I watch vc-1, with cuda enabled all is fine for the most part, until certain scenes where the image will appear blocky for a second or so.

Of course I would love to leave cuda on for vc1 so in my case should I manually disable it, or is there anything that can be done from the lav video side to allow me to use this "partial acceleration" and still see a valid image? Cheers
Quote:
Its a bug in the driver, seems to have appeared a while ago. You could try different drivers, otherwise there isn't anything that can be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_screem View Post
258.96 is the last ver to work right. And I think its actually hardware deinterlacing related. cause if i set CUVID to weave with newer drivers the blocking goes away.
Quote:
It still is somehow related to partial acceleration, because it doesn't happen on cards with full acceleration capabilities. It might just be coincidence and depend on the series of the card, but somewhere is another factor in there.
I quote some messages that I consider have something to do with what I want to say...

Yesterday I upgraded my nVidia GT240 drivers from 258.96 to 285.62... Well, this drivers have broken in some way (framedrops, irregular fps and render times) the CUDA hardware acceleration of H264 interlaced material (HD livetv mainly).

- Interlaced MPEG2 is ok.
- Progressive H264 is ok.
- Switched Lav Video (0.44) to Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 H264 (so no CUDA), ok.
- Downgrade to Lav Video 0.43, still nok.
- Downgrade nVidia drivers to 280.26, ok (but I would say not as stable decoding as 258.96 anyway...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
ty, you're right. If anyones interested, heres some nvidia drivers I tried, showing vc1 decoding was broken somewhere between 280.36 and 285.27 on these cards at least. (I tried using the working cuda related dlls with the newer drivers but that doesn't seem to work very well :P )

Nvidia Driver - Cuda dll version - Status
285.62 - 8.17.12.8562 - broken
285.38 - 8.17.12.8538 - broken
285.27 - 8.17.12.8527 - broken
280.36 - 8.17.12.8036 - working
280.26 - 8.17.12.8026 - working
Definitely, 285.xx series drivers have some problems...

Nev, I don't ask you to do anything, as is clearly driver related. I only want to leave this comment in case anyone else finds the same, knows where's the problem.

bye!
PeQuE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 12:45   #8070  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Finally I can put this forum's ignore list feature to good use.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 12:59   #8071  |  Link
Alabanda

nevcairiel, you're awesome! Finally, the possibility of having quality hardware decoding in my HTPC-intended setup. I'm running an AMD Fusion board, an E350.

(pastebin was under heavy load) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26229491/LAVVideo.txt

Again, thanks a lot!
Alabanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 13:44   #8072  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Finally I can put this forum's ignore list feature to good use.
Seriously unreal. I honestly don't understand people sometimes. Just know that the majority of us appreciate what you guys do.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Old 12th January 2012, 13:48   #8073  |  Link
VipZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Cool! Would you mind running this test, too?

http://madshi.net/madNV12Test.zip
Will do when I get home.

Bit OT, but may be useful for others to know. HDMI bit steaming on the 7970 negotiates pretty much instantly for all formats, where it used to take up to 3secs on my 5850. And on pausing it doesn't drop the stream immediately but keeps it showing as no channels on the AVR for around 2 secs before dropping.
Old 12th January 2012, 15:41   #8074  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

DXVA? Sounds nice

Let's hope drivers don't ruin the party.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 15:50   #8075  |  Link
CruNcher

Now a real DXVA (GPU independent, no frame copy) and DXVA support for MadVR is left

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 12th January 2012 at 15:53.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 16:38   #8076  |  Link
goldie

Sorry for my late feedback.
LAVFilters 0.44 debug log for ATI Radeo HD 6850 with Catalyst 11.12 is here.
http://pastebin.com/RgdMrTcH

Execution environment:
Win 7 Pro 64bit
MPC-HC 1.5.3.3958 (32bit)
madVR 0.80
Playing a H264 L4.2 1080p60 clip was not so smooth confirmed,
but I'm so excited at the news about hw decoding for ATI users!
Good job, and nev.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 16:51   #8077  |  Link
CruNcher

could you test vs the Performance of Cyberlink HAM it's the same

It is about Time

Old 12th January 2012, 17:15   #8078  |  Link
goldie

I had test Cyberlink HAM video decoder before,
but I think it always fallback to software decoding.
(I saw the CPU utilization didn't come down with HAM mode compared to software mode.)
So I uninstall it few months ago,
maybe I don't know how to set it up properly.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 17:26   #8079  |  Link
CruNcher

hmm does potplayers copy decoder works then ?

Not Ati but

1080p @60 fps

IMSDK = 60 fps
Nev DXVA2 = 40 fps

Not that bad for the start

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 12th January 2012 at 17:33.
Old 12th January 2012, 17:30   #8080  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Good News everyone!

I managed to increase the performance quite a bit, and its now close to the CUVID decoder on my system.
Just to figure out why one of the first frames is always corrupted now...

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter