Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 19th January 2003, 12:19   #1  |  Link
Alphaloop

Change 4:3 to 16:9?

I have a movie here (already ripped in movie mode including both .ifo files). The movie is set to 4:3, but obviously it's a 16:9 (1,77:1) with hard encoded black bars. Is there any chance to get rid of the black bars and correctly set the movie to 16:9 without reencoding the vob files? Any option to change in a .ifo file? Or do I have to live with 4:3?
Alphaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2003, 19:05   #2  |  Link
Goldfinger_007

are you saying that the movie looks correct as it is - but you want to convert to anamorphic by stripping the bars and changing the ifo to 16:9 ?

If so, i think you would have to re-encode with cropping - so you might be best sticking with what you have
Old 19th January 2003, 19:12   #3  |  Link
Alphaloop

Yes, the movie is (well, was) a 16:9, and got black bars (I guess the publisher made it when converting NTSC->PAL for europe) encoded with it, so finally it is now 4:3. The black bars are part of the picture.

Would it be much quality loss when I reencode the video with cce via avisynth, with cropping and setting the aspect to 16:9 in cce? Well, I'll try that...
Old 19th January 2003, 19:38   #4  |  Link
mpucoder

Not only would you need to crop it, but also resize it back to 720x576. That would introduce some degradation in itself, plus the encoding. There is nothing to be gained by doing this, as the black bars, if truly noiseless black, take very little bandwidth. And, of course, you cannot put back what has already been lost.

edit: If you want it to display properly on a widescreen tv set the "letterboxed" bit in the video attributes. Bit 1 of the second byte (not bit 0 of the first byte, that's for automatic letterboxing, something altogether different)

Last edited by mpucoder; 19th January 2003 at 19:44.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2003, 19:46   #5  |  Link
Alphaloop

Well, okay. I'll stay at 4:3.

My only worry was to watch the movie on a 16:9 TV in the future (haven't one yet). There I'd surely have some very big black bars to the left and right? Or have 16:9 TVs a function to "zoom in"?

edit: Oh, just saw your edit's comments. I guess thats the point "Letterboxed (Top & Bottom cropped)" in IfoEdit when double clicking the video stream of the opened vts_xx_x.ifo?

I'll stay at 4:3 as long as I don't have a widescreen TV. When I have one (when my momentary TV dies, I guess still a year or so ), I just burn it once more with changed letterboxed data.

Last edited by Alphaloop; 19th January 2003 at 19:52.
Old 19th January 2003, 19:57   #6  |  Link
mpucoder

Right, the "letterboxed" attribute tells the DVD player to get rid of the black bars for a widescreen tv. If you want to have some fun, tell your DVD player you have a widescreen tv when you don't - you'll see anamorphic without bars.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote