Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th March 2004, 05:28   #1  |  Link
WSGuy

Need help with an .avi file in Premiere Pro 7..TIA!!!

Hi,

I have several short .avi files encoded in DivX and XviD format that were given to me to use in a final DVD project. I am using Adobe Premiere Pro 7. My questions hopefully, are very basic and easily answered.

I am starting my DVD project in the normal Premiere Pro fashion. I create a new project and choose a preset for settings. The .avi Xvid files I have were done at 23.97 frame rate, 576 X 304, and have VBR Mpeg 3 audio 133kbps @48,000k.

My final DVD will be standard NTSC DVD specs (720 X 480, 29.97 frame rate, 48k audio). Will I run into any problems with Aspect Ratio, frame rate, audio spec. etc. that I need to take care of based on the specs of this .avi file?

-I am hoping someone can verify if I am following the correct settings....I choose a either a NTSC DVD 4:3 or 16:9 preset at 48k.
-I then import the XviD .avi file into the Project Window. Premiere Pro will begin conforming the audio files.
-When conforming is done, I now have the .avi file in the Project Window. I then click and drag this file down into the Timeline Window. I see it loaded in the Timeline Window now, but without the normal audio image showing. Just a basic block in the TimeLine track. This one XviD .avi file has already been prepped and edited before being encoded to mpeg4 and needs no further work. I would like to actually just burn right to NTSC DVD with no further work and have done this with some of the other XviD files.

Can I... 1. Simply click File/Export/DVD Burn and burn straight to NTSC DVD? I have done this with other similar Divx,Xvid .avi files with no problems. This one is giving me trouble, though.

2. Does there need to be additional transcoding/recoding BEFORE I choose Export to DVD? I expected Premiere Pro to begin transcoding followed by the DVD burn? Would this work?
However, I am seeing no normal audio image in the Timeline Window, and I don't get any proper video/audio playback if I audition the clip in the Monitor window. Just a constant black video with no audio. So something is astray. Other XviD or DviX .avi files have monitored properly, but I can't get anything from this one.

3.So again, basically, why would SOME XviD .avi files load and monitor correctly in the Timeline and Monitor Windows while other ones (such as this one) don't? I am just getting experience with certain mpeg4 .avi usages in Premiere Pro and am a bit unsure of myself in some of these steps with Xvid, DivX files. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I just need to get these files to burn to DVD in NTSC spec with as little re-working as possible!

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Wade
WSGuy is offline   Reply With Quote