Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th July 2008, 20:08   #1  |  Link
lchiu7

A simple x264 bitrate question

I am trying to compress ts files captured from DVB-T broadcasts to something a little smaller. At the moment the files (h.264 video and ac3 audio) take about 3.3G for 40 minutes so HD space gets consumed pretty quickly.

I am not after the greatest quality - I could live with the files getting down to say 1G for 40 minutes.

The files have these properties:

Video #0
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
MenuID/String : 1 (0x1)
Codec : AVC
Codec/Family : AVC
Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Codec profile : High@L4.0
Codec settings, CABAC : Yes
Codec_Settings_RefFrames : 4
Width : 1920 pixels
Height : 1080 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Chroma : 4:2:0
Interlacement : Top Field First

I thought I could demux the video (I am using dgavcindex) and recompress with x264 with something like

x264.exe --bitrate 4500 --level 4.1 --bframes 1 --b-rdo --weightb --direct auto --subme 5 --trellis 1 --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4 --me dia --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output etc.

The source is fed in via avcsource("xxx.dga")

While it works, the filesize is greater than the original!

I have even tried bitrate 300 and the file is larger than the original ts file! For example a 300Mb ts files goes out to a 600mb .264 file.

Also no matter what bit rate I choose, the video has random macro blocking in it but not what you would expect from high compression, but blocks of video around the edges of the image during motion. No idea what that is. (see attachment).

The files are 1920x1080(i) - should I have a LanczosResize(1920,1080) in the avisynth script or just let the size default?

Thanks

Larry
Attached Images

lchiu7 is offline   Reply With Quote