Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th May 2016, 17:31   #38041  |  Link
ionutm80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
The R9 380 in my HTPC outputs the /1.001 framerates very accurately. I effectively don't get dropped or repeated frames from that. madVR generally shows somewhere >4 hours for the time per drop/repeat. It drifts around a little, but I don't have any issues. So, it's not just Intel.
Then only the green team has a problem in achieving a very accurate clock ???
ionutm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 17:34   #38042  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
The R9 380 in my HTPC outputs the /1.001 framerates very accurately. I effectively don't get dropped or repeated frames from that. madVR generally shows somewhere >4 hours for the time per drop/repeat. It drifts around a little, but I don't have any issues. So, it's not just Intel.
this is luck because the audio clock can be totally different from system to system.

my r9 270 has an pretty good looking clock too but it doesn't match the audio clock what so ever.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 17:41   #38043  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
When that happens, simply drag & drop the new ID entry of the newly detected display to the original display. Afterwards you can remove the empty shell of the new display.
Thanks, I've done that for all 3 detected display IDs. We'll see if it happens again.
Old 17th May 2016, 22:54   #38044  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
@madshi, is there a way to compare super-xbr to NNEDI3 settings? Like super-xbr 100 gives the same image quality as NNEDI3 *** neurons?

It would be really nice to have some sort av list that compares the different settings, so people could have a general template to aim for according to the hardware capabilities their computers have.
All of the algorithms will give you a different image. There is no value of super-xbr that looks exactly like NNEDI3.

The chart below was made some time ago to compare the different algorithms. I have no idea if it is still accurate today. It compares each algorithm using its default settings:

Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 23:06   #38045  |  Link
baii

There is not much reason to use x64 except you have problem with decoding performance, especially when reclock is needed. Madvr still does not benefit from x64 performance wise iirc?

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 23:41   #38046  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

When I made the switch to Windows 10, I also made the switch to an x64 workflow (since AMD now has that nice Custom Resolution section). There was a nice little boost in performance and I could bump a setting or two up. Now was that a Windows thing or an x64 thing? If I get a chance late tonight I will test this since I'm considering going back to using Re-Clock.

QB
Old 18th May 2016, 00:41   #38047  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Damn, the new De-Ringer is quite heavy on my GPU.
With just the first option ticked? It didn't make much of an impact on my 960 at all. What are you using?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 01:43   #38048  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Well, looking forward to your grain detection.
I think that would be a nice addition, but I have to wonder if perhaps some content might be slightly better served with a lower power dehaloing or perhaps a variation a little kinder to animation.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 02:03   #38049  |  Link
zvans18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
With just the first option ticked? It didn't make much of an impact on my 960 at all. What are you using?
with 1080 movieed content on 1080 screen (nnedi3 16), it took a 12.xms average to ~15 with only first option on my 970

~33 to ~36 on 720 doubled and down to 1080, i could see needing to turn something lower if you're close to the edge

Last edited by zvans18; 18th May 2016 at 03:31.
zvans18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 07:41   #38050  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
All of the algorithms will give you a different image. There is no value of super-xbr that looks exactly like NNEDI3.

The chart below was made some time ago to compare the different algorithms. I have no idea if it is still accurate today. It compares each algorithm using its default settings:

Thanks for reply, but that was known to me
Old 18th May 2016, 08:03   #38051  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
There is not much reason to use x64 except you have problem with decoding performance, especially when reclock is needed. Madvr still does not benefit from x64 performance wise iirc?

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk
So as I mentioned above, I just tested this out. I ran both the x64 and x86 workflows for playback to test this out. I used the same version of PotPlayer with the same settings, the same GPU Driver, the only difference between the workflows being ReClock on the x86.... I also used a file that was 720p60 ==> 1024x768 with maxed out settings, which pushes my GPU to 93% (so close to the edge that even enabling a chroma supres of 1 pushes it over the edge).

Both workflows were able to keep up without dropped frames. So in conclusion, with the playback pushing the GPU to the very edge, there is no difference between x86 and x64 workflows. One caveat, this does not take into consideration decoding of any 4k files. I understand that x64 helps in that regard, but madVR does not benefit from it from what I see.

QB
Old 18th May 2016, 10:05   #38052  |  Link
ionutm80

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post

Both workflows were able to keep up without dropped frames.
QB
Do you have some printscreens / pictures with madVR stats in both cases showing clock deviation?
For me the situation was different:
- x64 w/o ReClock, 1 frame drop every 19.48 minutes
- x86 w/. ReClock, 1 frame drop every 4.xx hours
for a 23.976 1080p blu-ray rip on a FullHD TV 60Hz with SVP in the middle interpolating to 59.94.
ionutm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 11:41   #38053  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I was talking about actual dropped frames, not the estimated dropped frames based on the screen refresh rate and clock deviation...

Plus, that has nothing to do with what I was testing. I have an AMD card and can set custom resolutions and you can fine tune very close to the deviation. I will always have "hours" or more without dropped frames due to this, with or without ReClock. I was testing performance of madVR with x86 and x64 setups. If you don't have the tools to do custom resolutions (CRU, built in driver tools, custom monitor drivers, etc etc etc) then you will need to either need to use ReClock (limited to x86) or use SmoothMotion if you are concerned about the "dropped/repeated frames" estimate.

QB

Last edited by QBhd; 18th May 2016 at 11:48.
QBhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 16:32   #38054  |  Link
Patrik G

how do you screw up the HDR metadata when you rip an UHD blu ray disc?
isnt the metadata baked into the video file?

if madvr doesnt detect hdr and wcg should mean that the metadata is lost right?

Last edited by Patrik G; 18th May 2016 at 16:34.
Patrik G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 16:57   #38055  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik G View Post
how do you screw up the HDR metadata when you rip an UHD blu ray disc?
isnt the metadata baked into the video file?

if madvr doesnt detect hdr and wcg should mean that the metadata is lost right?
you have to ask the creator and there is still no way to rip UHD BDs.
Old 18th May 2016, 18:23   #38056  |  Link
MariaX9

Does it matter if i´m using MPC-HC or MPC-BE?
And do i need any other stuff like LAVfilter or ffdshow to get the best result out of MadVR?
MariaX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 20:25   #38057  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaX9 View Post
And do i need any other stuff like LAVfilter or ffdshow to get the best result out of MadVR?
No, you can use any directshow player. Lav expose couple of info that maybe other filters won't for madvr (3d, hdr, etc), so it's a safe bet to go for lav.
Old 18th May 2016, 21:25   #38058  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaX9 View Post
LAVfilter is a needed companion for madVR. To my knowledge it is the only filter that passes flags to madVR, otherwise a lot of assumptions are made. Those assumptions are often correct but it is much better to use the stream information if it is available.

However LAV has been integrated into MPC-HC and MPC-BE so you do not need to install anything else.
Old 18th May 2016, 21:33   #38059  |  Link
castaway

Hello everyone

Any developer here ?
I have a player project, and would need to use mvrInterfaces but from the .NET library

I would mostly appreciate any help here, as I'm not a c++ developper (mvrInterfaces.h in c++).
(I tryed to compile it, adding CLR option, I could add it to my project but can't use the dll afterward).

Last edited by castaway; 18th May 2016 at 21:37.
castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 22:03   #38060  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
LAVfilter is a needed companion for madVR. To my knowledge it is the only filter that passes flags to madVR, otherwise a lot of assumptions are made. Those assumptions are often correct but it is much better to use the stream information if it is available.

However LAV has been integrated into MPC-HC and MPC-BE so you do not need to install anything else.
mpc-be has not integrated lavfilter.

mpc-be internal filter can't deal with ordered chapter while lavfilter can.
lavfilter can't deal with very exotic PS2 videos that are using a "special" type of PCM. the audio is ignored in this case while mpc-be internal filter can play them with audio.

these are just things i know the list should be way longer.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling