Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd March 2016, 20:14   #37021  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
Typical driver problem probably, usually power saving features? There is a power mode switch thing since 16.3
I'm already using that switch since frametime quality in games else suffers.

However, I found out what was causing the madVR problem for me:
MSI Afterburner, or to be more precise: a certain setting of it.
I disabled low level driver access, since I thought it would help to prevent compatibility issues. But the opposite is true: After enabling low level driver access with user-mode driver, the queue issue disappeared.
They get nicely filled now.

The R9 390 definitely offers a lot of performance for NNEDI3, it seems to be easily competing with a GTX 980 OC.
It seems my 390 is stable with -100mV undervoltage, which keeps it very quiet, combined with a custom fan curve.
Seems like a good deal if much NNEDI3 and SuperRes bang is needed for few bucks.
Edit: Got a MSI R9 390 Gaming.

Last edited by aufkrawall; 22nd March 2016 at 20:20.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:27   #37022  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
Anyone noticing some aliasing/artifacting with Super-Xbr 150 Doubling from 1080->2160p?
super-xbr100 + AR with SuperRes doesn't ring a whole lot. I used to use a setting of 150, but the extra detail seemed less important than the added ringing. super-xbr is already very sharp at 100.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:42   #37023  |  Link
aufkrawall

With cartoons, the ringing of super-xbr 100 is very obvious and SuperRes makes it even worse. However, this might change when madshi introduces Hylian's improved anti-ringing filter.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:15   #37024  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
Its the second time that i read someone talking about madshi adds vapoursynth support on madvr but i never read madshi talking about this... is this true? Madshi have this on mind to madvr future?
madshi has expressed interest in doing so, I expect it'll be a nearer to 1.0 feature. He doesn't tend to disclose his feature work list.. but it does make a lot of sense to add support for Avisynth/Vapoursynth plugins considering where madVR positions itself in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
VapourSynth? As in Disappearing Features?
A whole boat load of features..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:33   #37025  |  Link
cork_OS

@madshi

Hello.
According to this thread, madVR seems to be generally used for rendering modern high-bitrate HD video, including 4k & 3D.
Instead, I'm watching a lot of old MPEG-2 & H.263 encoded video. Such video often suffers from blocking, ringing/mosquito noise, aliasing or improper deinterlace.
madVR already contain some filters to improve such video (SuperRes, sharpen filters), but it would be great to see even more video processing and enhancing options in madVR (EDIT: including AVS/VS plugins support, as alternative).
Since improving old videos isn't main madVR goal, could you please tell, are adding deblocking/de-mosquitoing/anti-aliasing filters etc. possible/planned at all?
Thanks for your work!
cork_OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:55   #37026  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
madVR already contain some filters to improve such video (SuperRes, sharpen filters), but it would be great to see even more video processing and enhancing options in madVR (EDIT: including AVS/VS plugins support, as alternative).
I just covered this a few posts back at the top of the page. At this point you can use Avisynth and ffdshow to achieve what you want, so either read about about how to set that up or sit back and wait.
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:32   #37027  |  Link
bluechris

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Do you have them always, or only sometimes? Always right from the start of the movie? Or does it start after some minutes of playback?
Sorry for the late reply but yes it happens always.
bluechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:06   #37028  |  Link
Anima123

Quote:
@madshi

Hello.
According to this thread, madVR seems to be generally used for rendering modern high-bitrate HD video, including 4k & 3D.
Instead, I'm watching a lot of old MPEG-2 & H.263 encoded video. Such video often suffers from blocking, ringing/mosquito noise, aliasing or improper deinterlace.
Since improving old videos isn't main madVR goal, could you please tell, are adding deblocking/de-mosquitoing/anti-aliasing filters etc. possible/planned at all?
Thanks for your work!
I would like to second that.

There's one thing that I'd like to cite, although technologies has been advanced to HD-video, 3D, H265 etc., a lot of my favored contents are still SD, with a lot of such artefacts as mentioned by cork_OS.

It really would be very zealous features for us, if madshi can considering adding, at least some of these, post-processing features to madVR, in an appropriate time.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:24   #37029  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
I would like to second that.

There's one thing that I'd like to cite, although technologies has been advanced to HD-video, 3D, H265 etc., a lot of my favored contents are still SD, with a lot of such artefacts as mentioned by cork_OS.

It really would be very zealous features for us, if madshi can considering adding, at least some of these, post-processing features to madVR, in an appropriate time.
Heh, a few of my favourite comedies are essentially 288p/25 because they were poorly converted from 576i/25 in post-production. I often wonder how much better they'd look if I manually stripped out every other line from the source and reconstructed them with an algorithm like NNEDI3.
Old 23rd March 2016, 03:26   #37030  |  Link
Mano

what is the latest stable AMD driver for madvr? is it still 13.2?
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 05:12   #37031  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano View Post
what is the latest stable AMD driver for madvr? is it still 13.2?
AFAIA they're all stable as long as you're not deinterlacing. I've seen most recommend 13.12 still, It takes a few minutes to test so why not just update to the latest crimson
and if there's any issues then just post about them? Can't have people asking about what works every time a new driver is released.

Last edited by ryrynz; 23rd March 2016 at 05:34.
Old 23rd March 2016, 06:14   #37032  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
@madshi

Hello.
Thanks for your work!
I don't think I'd be interested in any denoise/deblock filters. However, the paper below does a good job of outlining the various artifacts found in low-quality video (for those who are curious):

Characterizing Perceptual Artifacts in Compressed Video Streams
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 06:30   #37033  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I don't think I'd be interested in any denoise/deblock filters. [/URL]
I think you'd be surprised how much macroblocking there is in video. Particularly busy areas can have quite extreme artifacting that you wouldn't realize is there until you pause the video.
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:11   #37034  |  Link
XMonarchY

A bit off-topic, but is Rec. 2020 the official standard for UHD 4K-8K standard? Some say its DCI P3, but I think they are misinformed.
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:25   #37035  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Turning off exclusive mode and keeping to overlay prevents the OpenCL crash from happening. No frames are dropped so I think I'll keep it on overlay only.
Didn't you plan to analyze which exact madVR build introduced the problem?

Quote:
I don't really like to comment on future plans much. But for version 1.0 I do hope to have all important areas covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
A bit off-topic, but is Rec. 2020 the official standard for UHD 4K-8K standard? Some say its DCI P3, but I think they are misinformed.
Which standard? Broadcasting has a different standard than UHD Blu-Ray. UHD Blu-Ray allows using a BT.2020 container, and the studios can then use metadata to signal which exact subset of the container is used. This is very often DCI-P3. But the studio can use up to BT.2020, if they want to.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:41   #37036  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.16 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added adjustable anti-bloating filter for sharpening
* added adjustable anti-bloating filter for SSIM downscaling
* added adjustable anti-bloating filter for SuperRes
* added anti-ringing filter for SuperRes
* added Hyllian's super-xbr anti-ringing (for image doubling)
* reworked super-xbr chroma upscaling anti-ringing algorithms
* improved sharpen anti-ringing filter
* sharpen anti-ringing filter now also includes AdaptiveSharpen
* changed SSIM anti-ringing method
* added "relaxed" vs "strict (soft)" option for downscale anti-ringing
* "crispen edges" now tries to avoid amplifying grain & noise
* reduced some "crispen edges" aliasing problems
* added separate image doubling supersampling option
* added trade quality option "scale chroma separately if it saves performance"
* increased AdaptiveSharpen max value from 1.5 to 3.0
* increased "thin edges" max value from 4.0 to 8.0
* previously optional DX11 "alternative glitch handling mode" is now always on
* multiple profile groups can now share the same keyboard shortcut
* double clicking tray icon now opens "best" settings instead of always local
* fixed: Jinc/SSIM 2D downscaling was sometimes activated when not needed
* fixed: 4-taps Spline was broken
* fixed: some problems with 3D side-by-side and line/column alternative
* fixed: 10bit content could make DXVA scaling fail
* fixed: bitmap subtitles were not always moved up when cropping black bars
* fixed: when downscaling, some chroma algos were used although they shouldn't
* fixed: sometimes media player froze during DVD playback
* fixed: source black/white adjustments + gamma processing: wrong order
* fixed: rare shutdown crash when using native DXVA decoding
* fixed: OSD bug when playing BT.709 HDR content
Lots and lots of new stuff for you guys to play with. Some notes:

1) Many of the new features/options are considered experimental. I want/need your feedback, and your feedback will decide which options will stay, which will be always forced on, and which will be removed again (soon). So please do provide feedback, YOU decide what stays and what goes. For a list of important feedback areas see the bottom of this post.

2) The new anti-bloating tries to concentrate sharpening on higher frequencies and to remove lower frequencies. I like the look that produces, but your mileage may vary. The anti-bloating filter is only active for "sharpen edges", Luma Sharpen and Adaptive Sharpen (and SSIM and SuperRes), but it's not active for "crispen edges" and "thin edges", because those don't bloat by design.

3) super-xbr chroma upscaling previously had stronger anti-ringing with the "anti-ringing" option unchecked than with it checked. That was kinda confusing. So I've changed that now. You'll get some amount of anti-ringing with the option checked and unchecked, but the AR effect is now bigger with the option checked, which makes more sense, I suppose. The anti-ringing effect was also improved a bit.

4) If you didn't like "crispen edges" (formerly called "FineSharp") until now, please give it another try now. It doesn't amplify noise and grain as much as it did before. My personal opinion is still that it's the sharpener which produces the most natural and high-def look. Although the new anti-bloating filter might bring LumaSharpen and AdaptiveSharpen nearer to "crispen edges" now, in terms of naturalness and high-def look.

5) For downscaling, the anti-ringing filter now has 2 methods. The "relaxed" one allows a little bit of ringing to remain, which produces sharper results. The "strict (soft)" option removes all ringing, but the final result is quite soft (of course SSIM helps a lot there). One anti-ringing sub-option will stay, one will go. You decide.

-------

Here are the most important areas of FEEDBACK I need:

a) Do you consider the "anti-bloating" filter useful for sharpening (LumaSharpen + AdaptiveSharpen)? If so, which strength settings do you like?

b) Do you consider the anti-bloating and anti-ringing options useful for SuperRes? I think anti-bloating might not be beneficial here, but I'd like to hear your opinion. Do you see any benefit in the anti-ringing option? SuperRes already didn't ring that much, so I wonder if the separate anti-ringing post processing option is worthwhile in your opinion or not?

c) Do you consider the "anti-bloating" filter useful for SSIM downscaling? If so, which strength settings do you like?

d) Which of the two anti-ringing options do you prefer for downscaling? (Edit: FYI, these options do *not* affect SSIM downscaling)

Again: Your feedback is very important. Thank you!

Last edited by madshi; 23rd March 2016 at 11:53.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:48   #37037  |  Link
Mano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
AFAIA they're all stable as long as you're not deinterlacing. I've seen most recommend 13.12 still, It takes a few minutes to test so why not just update to the latest crimson
and if there's any issues then just post about them? Can't have people asking about what works every time a new driver is released.
Because i am not sure a few minutes is sufficient to test the new driver and frankly it is kind of hard to search a few hundred pages manually (search function just doesn't work for posts inside thread).
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:50   #37038  |  Link
sneaker_ger

You can search the thread. Look for the button on the top right. (right below the page numbers)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:55   #37039  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.90.16 released
Quite the change log.

I've found that changing the anti-ringing filter type for super-xbr doesn't prompt me to Apply after I've already changed it once, switching between them Apply is still greyed out.

Also it's not remembering strict once I Apply and judging from my screenshots it's not using Strict either when it does apply.

Last edited by ryrynz; 23rd March 2016 at 12:04.
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:58   #37040  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Wow, that's a lot of new stuff. I'll start off by reporting a bug (sorry): I can't set the anti-ringing filter to "strict (soft)" for chroma upscaling or image upscaling. If I do, the Apply button doesn't light up, and even if I force it to light up by changing something else (like toggling superres), the change to anti-ringing doesn't stick.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling