Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th February 2016, 11:48   #36021  |  Link
MrBonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Yep thanks, that's my plan indeed.

But mVR only allows one instance IIRC, are you implying that someday there might be a TV with mVR taking care of picture processing?

One thing's for sure upscales on HDTV look ludicrous compared to what mVR could do, even arteHD falls short.
Which makes it even worse how much they are pushing those TVs to the masses . Ugh.
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 11:57   #36022  |  Link
FreeFall

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok. In that case can you please check which exact madVR build introduced the problem for you? Also: Are you using a multi-monitor setup? Finally: In the problem situation: Does the media player still react to anything (e.g. mouse clicks) at all? Or is it totally frozen? In that case please create a freeze report by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break, in case that still works.
I've done some more testing, installed the latest Nvidia hotfix drivers 361.82 just to rule out a possible driver problem. Build 0.89.13 introduced the problem, I tried 0.89.12 and 0.88.8 and had no problems using those two.

I'm using a single monitor Benq XL2411z 1920*1080 120Hz, the player doesn't freeze up it still reacts to keyboard commands. Pressing play the dvd tries to play again, you can hear the audio its just that the image is frozen on the screen and won't clear until you exit the player (alt + x) the player exits without any error messages showing up.

to reproduce the problem reset madVR to defaults and then disable all of the trade quailty for performance options, play a dvd and then stop playback the last buffered frame will be stuck on screen. If you enable use a seperate device for presentation (Vista or newer) with the trade quality for performance settings disabled it seems to work around the problem (no stuck frame after stopping).

This problem only happens with Zoom Player, I can't reproduce it with MPC-HC using the latest madVR build.
FreeFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 12:20   #36023  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
One thing's for sure upscales on HDTV look ludicrous compared to what mVR could do, even arteHD falls short.
I've said it before, and now I say it again. madVR should cost a small fortune to use. I am incredibly grateful for madVR in its current form. And say thank you again madshi.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 12:37   #36024  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
I've said it before, and now I say it again. madVR should cost a small fortune to use. I am incredibly grateful for madVR in its current form. And say thank you again madshi.
LOL I've been testing mVR since day 1, before it arrived all we had was the hiccupy HR. I woulda switched hobbies if mVR never existed, hiccupy & blurry video playback is beyond my patience and like every OCD'ed person here we're all dying to pour big bucks into madshi's pocket in order to repay him for his patience and expertise
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 12:46   #36025  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
If you are not viewing the image at a 1:1 pixel ratio, scaling is going on. If you have a high DPI display, the image should look tiny, if it doesn't the OS is scaling up the image for you.
So in these scenarios it's not really much use to take note on it.
(Ignore the above if you are certain you are viewing at 1:1 pixel ratio, and not 1:1 "image size")
Yes, it is tiny, that's why I used this in addition to a normal DPI IPS in the first place. There is no scaling going on, I am watching both with it's native 1.501px × 195px resolution. If I scale on the iPad, the results are practially the same, since they are all scaled with the same factor, which is also why madshi took the additional time to present the comparison shots as one image. The nasty edges of detailed become even more apparent and clean looks even better in comparison when you are scaling.

The results are somewhat comparable to watching upscaled SD that is already too sharp with a sharp upscaler like Lanczos or Bicubic >50. It will look quite ugly, since all the pixel edges of our low resolution become so much more apparent. That's why a lot of people prefer a softer algorithm, because it looks more natural, even though it might not peel out the very last details, which however, were probably never meant to be seen on some material in the first place, since it defeats the purpose of image depth (background detail should not be as sharp as front detail, neither should front detail be uber-sharpened, just because you want back detail to get visible).

Last edited by iSunrise; 10th February 2016 at 13:05.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 13:12   #36026  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
+1
My chips are all in.
Old 10th February 2016, 17:45   #36027  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
LOL I've been testing mVR since day 1, before it arrived all we had was the hiccupy HR. I woulda switched hobbies if mVR never existed, hiccupy & blurry video playback is beyond my patience and like every OCD'ed person here we're all dying to pour big bucks into madshi's pocket in order to repay him for his patience and expertise
OCD ... Um ... uh ... me? My wife often ask why we have a relative expensive TV when I never see a film from start to finish. Sometimes I forget to remove my X-Rite i1Display Pro when / if I need to see a movie, it is part of my TV, like madVRs GUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
+1
My chips are all in.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 18:05   #36028  |  Link
hu1kamania

Quote:
OCD ... Um ... uh ... me? My wife often ask why we have a relative expensive TV when I never see a film from start to finish. Sometimes I forget to remove my X-Rite i1Display Pro when / if I need to see a movie, it is part of my TV, like madVRs GUI
I can totally relate to this. My wife hates when I pull up the overlay (I can't get through a movie without checking it), and my i1Display stays plugged in. Though I don't leave it hanging over the TV unless I'm using it.
hu1kamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 20:35   #36029  |  Link
mueslibrown

I'm an avid madVR user but I was slightly bemused with all the effort to support 3D, now that it appears that Samsung and LG are about to pull the plug was it and is it really worth the effort for what appears to be a dead format in its current guise ...
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 20:45   #36030  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu1kamania View Post
I can totally relate to this. My wife hates when I pull up the overlay (I can't get through a movie without checking it), and my i1Display stays plugged in. Though I don't leave it hanging over the TV unless I'm using it.
Actually now that I think about it..

Hey madshi how about a compact OSD? Just showing dropped/delayed frames, render time etc? Something that can be checked during playback that's a little less intrusive.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 21:09   #36031  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
I'm an avid madVR user but I was slightly bemused with all the effort to support 3D, now that it appears that Samsung and LG are about to pull the plug was it and is it really worth the effort for what appears to be a dead format in its current guise ...
It's not dead for those who enjoy it

I'm certainly not buying a display without 3D support, so the recent development is welcome. I can't wait for BDMV/ISO support, which hopefully is still in the making (although that's a LAV development, it's out of Madshi's hands).
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 21:23   #36032  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

so I'm still able to get posterizing with the .8 build:

here's a sample that can easily reproduce the problem on my box, it only happens in FS and it requires forcing the AR to 4.3 in PotP + NNEDI3 doubling + SSIM.

BTW I just realized that it's possible to use NNEDI doubling together with sxbr quad on top hah

All this said it's hard to deny that SSIM is far more effective than any kind of bicubic downscaling duh, but NNEDI3 & SR even with a strength of 1 are extremely sharp all together.....might try my luck adding a very slightly blurring PS script or something as it's pointless feeding an inferior downscaler with an oversharp picture and I'm not willing to make do without SR(because I love what it does to motion blur) and NNEDI3(because it's unmatched for lowres).

What I would really need is softer SR coz even a strength of 1 is über-sharp, if SSIM is not subjective at all being mathematically accurate and all, any chance for softer SR strengths please? sharp doubling + sharp SR + sharp downscaling end up making everything look like a friggin pixar anime =(

Quote:
support 3D, now that it appears that Samsung and LG are about to pull the plug
I thought 3D was dead already tbh but madshi is the only one making decisions towards mVR's dev so be it then. They keep trying to sell us their silly outrageously overpriced glasses, not gunna work duh.

Quote:
OCD ... Um ... uh ... me?
We can all quit anytime, eventually

Last edited by leeperry; 10th February 2016 at 21:26.
Old 10th February 2016, 21:54   #36033  |  Link
scollaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
It's not dead for those who enjoy it

I'm certainly not buying a display without 3D support, so the recent development is welcome. I can't wait for BDMV/ISO support, which hopefully is still in the making (although that's a LAV development, it's out of Madshi's hands).
I agree...Thansk to madshi and Nev for implementing 3D. I still enjoy 3D very much and even when I go 4K in the future, the display I buy will have to at least support 1080p 3D too. Since I mostly use projectors and not TV, I'm waiting patiently for 4K projectors to become more mainstream.

Can't wait for 3D iso support from LAV/madVR too

Last edited by scollaco; 10th February 2016 at 22:24.
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 23:13   #36034  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
What I would really need is softer SR coz even a strength of 1 is über-sharp, if SSIM is not subjective at all being mathematically accurate and all, any chance for softer SR strengths please? sharp doubling + sharp SR + sharp downscaling end up making everything look like a friggin pixar anime =(
And to make matters worse I eventually double luma SR on low-res as I got the "after 2X upscaling step" checked so yeah, both luma & chroma SR would seriously need lower strengths please......especially now that I've found out that I can combo 2x NNEDI3 with 4x sxbr hah, need to chew on this

and BTW, I definitely prefer LL for SSIM and don't like the 1.6 gamma option as it does kill picture depth.

Last edited by leeperry; 11th February 2016 at 06:17.
Old 11th February 2016, 00:50   #36035  |  Link
Devrim

Anyone else having issues with dragging MPC-HC from screen to screen with the latest MadVR update? When you drag it to another screen now the video freezes and you need to pause and play the video again. Around version 0.90.4 the video would just keep playing.
Devrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 00:50   #36036  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

just a quick question....

is nnedi3 only for dx11 mode?
cause i cant use nnedi3 anymore, nether in chroma upsampling nor in image doubling..

if i change it, the video stops, sound is playing for a bit and black screen, mpchc+madvr crash..

im using dx9 render mode..

greetz
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 01:32   #36037  |  Link
Asmodian

No, NNEDI3 is not restricted to DX11 mode.

However it can cause problems if CUDA or other OpenCL applications are also running due to a bug in Nvidia's drivers.
Old 11th February 2016, 01:42   #36038  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post

I cant use nnedi3 anymore, nether in chroma upsampling nor in image doubling..

if i change it, the video stops, sound is playing for a bit and black screen, mpchc+madvr crash..
Nvidia? Reinstall your drivers with a clean install.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 03:05   #36039  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Yes, I've read about that as well. 3D support beyond frame-packed may not be worth the development time if 3D content is no longer going to be created.

No sense in eliminating support which is already in place.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 07:10   #36040  |  Link
Arm3nian

Posted this in the display calibration thread but no responses.

How will madVR handle UHD bluray? Let's say the color space is Rec. 2020, but the info is limited to DCI-P3, and you're watching it on a sRGB/Rec. 709 display. Will it look normal, and will you need a 3D LUT? What if you're watching the same content on a wide gamut display, that supports >98% DCI-P3. Will you be able to take advantage of the new standard?

I know windows is bad at color management, but will we never move to higher gamut monitors/tv's/projectors for this sole reason? Seems like you must to benefit from the new larger color space and the higher 10 bit color depth.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling