Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 21st September 2009, 12:24   #1  |  Link
[cp]

Help With MKV - Subtitles and Audio Tracks

Hey everyone,

First post and just started using GordianKnot (about 5 days ago...) and haven't used it since I ran into this problem.

I used r4r to get 2 audio tracks (English, Japanese) and subtitles off a dvd. When I used GordianKnot to convert using Xvid and MKV container, the outcome was always this:

No subtitles and both audio tracks labeled as US English (though second track was actually Japanese as intended).

I used the guides to get me this far, and if I wasn't concerned about a second audio track and having subtitles that I can turn on and off I'd be fine. I'm a little confused on where to put the subtitles, since there are a few places to do so. I tried a couple things with no success.

I'm using VobSub to get subtitles (got errors when I tried using WinRar) so I end up with .sub and .idx files. Which one, or both do I use and where does it/do they go?

Also whats up with the mislabeled second audio track?

Thanks in advance for your help!
[cp] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 08:31   #2  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

GordianKnot is very outdated, you better try to use some maintained and regularly updated tools, like RipBot264 or MeGUI. I'm sure you'll get nicer results with any of them
kypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 08:52   #3  |  Link
[cp]

Hey, cool, thanks for responding. I noticed the guides on doom9 were a little outdated, I just hoped they were still good. I'll try using MeGUI instead. Is there a guide for newbs on how to use that? I could probably figure it out with all the threads it has but it would be much faster if there were a straight up guide.

Also is robot4rip way outdated too? It seems to work fine, but if I should be using something like ripbot264 let me know.

Thanks again!
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:49   #4  |  Link
J_Darnley

Robot4Rip does still work. The only thing that it broken is new versions (<=1.5.0) of DGIndex, the audio demux doesn't work. I think many would say that besweet is now outdated. Other than those two hiccups, it is still good.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:59   #5  |  Link
[cp]

Ok, I tried using MeGui, and I'm wondering, is it really a good program out there? I know I'm a newb so there's a lot I don't know, but I got a lot better results out of GordianKnot. Audio is the same, but the video quality with MeGui is much worse. I tried a couple different adjustments but it is still not very good. The only thing I like better about MeGui (besides the interface) is that it is correctly labeling the audio tracks. Still no subs tho.

Last edited by Guest; 23rd September 2009 at 13:13. Reason: rule 12
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:44   #6  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by [cp] View Post
Ok, I tried using MeGui, and I'm wondering, is it really the best program out there? I know I'm a newb so there's a lot I don't know, but I got a lot better results out of GordianKnot. Audio is the same, but the video quality with MeGui is much worse. I tried a couple different adjustments but it is still not very good. The only thing I like better about MeGui (besides the interface) is that it is correctly labeling the audio tracks. Still no subs tho.
what profile did you set for the video? as the name states, megui is just a gui for x264/xvid... has nothing to do with the quality of the output!
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 04:05   #7  |  Link
[cp]

Quote:
what profile did you set for the video? as the name states, megui is just a gui for x264/xvid... has nothing to do with the quality of the output!
Right, and I know I am responsible for the crappy output. I just have no idea how to use the GUI when it comes to video. I'm using the Xvid codec and .mkv container. I used defaulted profiles, or whatever it said to use in this guide.

If you could help me figure out how to use the program to get better video results I would appreciate it. Maybe just a couple adjustments to make so I can become more familiar with the video part.

Thanks!
Old 25th September 2009, 10:46   #8  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Use any of the profiles that start with "x264 HQ" (if you have an old version) or "x264 Unrestricted ... HQ" (newer). You can use 1pass if you don't completely care about size and 2pass if you do.

Man, with all of my old and new mix of profiles there's over a hundred on my list... I need to clean it up.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio tracks, mkv, subtitles