Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th May 2004, 00:34   #1  |  Link
DK64_MASTER

Indexing services? Yea or Neh?

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/about.php
Quote:
Audioscrobbler is a computer system that builds up a detailed profile of your musical taste. After installing an Audioscrobbler Plugin, your computer sends the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler Server. With this information, the Audioscrobbler server builds you a 'Musical Profile'. Statistics from your Musical Profile are shown on your Audioscrobbler User Page, available for everyone to view.
Has anyone tried it?
DK64_MASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2004, 10:00   #2  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

If you belong to the group of people that let a script spam into irc channels what you're playing at the moment, you might see the use for this.. but i fail to see it.

Yes i saw the "suggests you songs you might also like", but i don't think i need that functionality. I get new music on a rather rare basis and then i prefer friends recommending me something over a software building links between songs by how they are played after each other or the like.
Old 14th May 2004, 15:40   #3  |  Link
Angelus

I wouldn't want a little proggie or a computer system sending info about what I'm doing to anywhere...god knows what else they COULD send to the system. Maybe you see value in that but I don't, I just surf forums of my favorite artists and there's tons of links to new stuff coming out from "underground" artists.
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2004, 15:51   #4  |  Link
DK64_MASTER

Actually, that was the main reason I was asking people from this forum. I'm a kind of spyware repellent. I hate it in all of its forms. I was just wondering if anyone had any good experiences with it. One of my good friends uses it, but he's not really computer savvy, so I want a second opinion. I don't like the way one's computer will become "Big Brother" if all their info is sent over the internet.

Thanks for your opinion!
DK64_MASTER is offline   Reply With Quote