Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 22nd May 2018, 22:29   #241  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaothceann View Post
The PGXP function only fixes the wobbly polygon coordinates
Like in the first Tomb Raider ?

Quote:
the CRT effect is entirely by the shader.

Here's track 3 without the shader: wipEout 1 - track 3, 4x internal res, PGXP enabled.mkv (228.3 MB)
(It's played in Rapier class, so it's much faster than the other videos)
It's different, but nice too ! The only problem on a modern display is that we lost the realistic aspect. But unfortunately, it's the same with some old movies !

By the way, I love Wipeout, even if I didn't possess any of the games. But I played it with friends when I was younger ! Great soundtrack ! The Prodigy, etc. !
SuperLumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:47   #242  |  Link
creaothceann

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLumberjack View Post
Like in the first Tomb Raider?
Applies to all PSX games.
creaothceann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:13   #243  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Yes, that's true ! I forgot it

It's because I hadn't a PS1 (but a PS2). I played Tomb Raider on PC There was the same thing.
Old 23rd May 2018, 22:10   #244  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello

I just compared my script with a video of Soul Reaver on PS1 displayed on a Sony PVM.

First, I compared with the introduction of the game PS1 version (resolution of 320x240). Second, I compared with the intro which was on the bonus disc of Soul Reaver 2 on the PS2 version.

Soul Reaver PS1 on Sony PVM vs. Soul Reaver intro PS1 upscaled

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b05d622a0062.png

Soul Reaver PS1 on Sony PVM vs. Soul Reaver intro PS2 on SR2 bonus disc upscaled

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b05d700c4a41.png

(the video : PS1: Soul Reaver + Sony PVM 14M4E)

It's weird, because the colors don't seam correct on the PS1 version. On the PS2 version, it's good !

Maybe I forgot something when I exporte the videos from the PS1 version. I dit it with PSmplay for the PS1 videos and PSS Plex for the PS2 videos. But I exported the videos in RGB24 from PSmplay to keep the maximum quality, because of the low resolution too.

I don't know if it was a color matrix or something else...

And so ? It's not bad my script no ?

I still tried to change some parameters of my script when I compared with the video of the Sony PVM, but I definitely think I can't do better. It's the closest I can have for me.

Edit 1: There is no way to have different colors from PSmplay. But it's bizarre, because in this video the colors seam more correct :

PSX Longplay - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Part 1 of 2)

Do you know how to have the correct colors please ? Because I have other videos from PS1. But it's not a question of color matrix. I tried.

Thanks !

Edit 2: But in other videos, I noticed it's like me.

Here for example : Detonado de Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PS1) - Parte 1 - A Morte - (Dublado Pt-Br)

So I don't why the colors are correct in some videos but are not in the originals.

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 24th May 2018 at 11:44.
Old 24th May 2018, 18:04   #245  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello

It's bizarre ! When I compare this same video from the PS1 version (left) and the Dreamcast version (right), the Dreamcast version looks normal.

See the difference :

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b06f052a81f8.png

It's the same difference than I show you just in the previous post.

But strangely, in these 2 videos of the PS1 version, we see that one has the correct colors, and the other has the same colors than me :

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b06efc48202a.png

So what is the logic behind this difference ?

Have you an idea ?
Old 25th May 2018, 01:54   #246  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

I just tried to correct the colors with the "HSV Adjust" filter in VirtualDub, and I think it's closer to what we can except (Dreamcast version left - PS1 version right) :

Even with the Soul Reaver introduction, the PS1 version is closer to the PS2 version from the Soul Reaver bonus disc now (we see it clearly when we compared to the original colors to the right) :

But I still don't understand why in some videos on YouTube, the colors are correct and in others, they are incorrect. And I wonder especially why the videos that I converted from the original STR files (the video files from the PS1 games) have weird colors...
Old 25th May 2018, 02:08   #247  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

So we can expect that it's a general problem with all the videos from the PS1 video games.

Here is a video from Tomb Raider with the incorrect colors :

(source : TOMB RAIDER 1 (Film-Game Complet HD Fr PSX))

A video with the correct colors (from the PSN on PS3) :

Tomb Raider (PS1 classic PSN/PS3) #75 LongPlay HD

Here is the original video in AVI converted from the original game :

And the same picture with the "HSV Adjust" filter (HUE -9.4°) :

I would like to understand all this logic about the colors ! Somebody has an idea please ?

Thanks !
Old 25th May 2018, 19:25   #248  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

I tried many programs to read the SRT files (videos) from the PS1 games, and for the moment, STRPlay is the only one which can display the correct colors. Even in the pSX emulator, the colors are incorrect, like those I have for my AVI files converted from the STR files with PSmplay.

See the difference (correct colors with STRPlay) :

I tried to correct the colors with the "HSV Adjust" filter in VirtualDub, but this is the closest resultat that I can get :

Suggestions ? It would be cool, because it's important for me to have the correct colors !

Thanks for your help !
Old 25th May 2018, 19:51   #249  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Just to show you the program that I used to extract the videos (PSmplay) compared to STRPlay which reads them with the correct colors :

It's interesting to see that there is a difference with the framerate too. PSmplay reads the videos in 15 fps (or 14.99) and STRPlay in 15.018 fps.

I need to find a way to have the correct colors and the correct framerate (I don't know how it is) !

It's was almost that with the program "STR Converter". It has the correct colors ! The only problem is that the beginning of the video I tested was freezed and I can't keep the sound to 37.8 kHz (I need to convert it to 44.1 kHz).

So, almost that, but it failed ! I need to find !

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 25th May 2018 at 20:56.
Old 26th May 2018, 12:53   #250  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Still one picture to show you the difference :

At the left, we have the introduction of "Soul Reaver" extracted from the bonus of the DVD of Soul Reaver 2. At the right, we have the introduction from the PS1 version read by PSmplay, with the wrong colors, and after the same video read by STRPlay with the correct colors.

The problem is that I nead to convert the video to the AVI format with the right colors. PSmplay is perfect to extract the videos, but as we see, the colors are wrong, and with STRPlay I can't extract the videos but the colors are good
And with STR Converter, the colors are correct too, but the videos extracted have some issues, like freezes.
Old 26th May 2018, 16:09   #251  |  Link
Rumbah

Did you try jSPXdec for movie decoding? It should get you results pretty similar to a TV (https://github.com/m35/jpsxdec).

The blog of the author is pretty interesting, too, with color comparisons of the different encoders out there. He even has done some Avisynth upscaling (https://jpsxdec.blogspot.de/2016/07/...onversion.html).

Last edited by Rumbah; 26th May 2018 at 19:14.
Rumbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 21:32   #252  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Thank you so much ! You are the boss !

In the meantime, I found another solution which works, but yours is far better

I used PSmplay to export the SRT files, and then I convert them to the AVI format with the good colors with PSXVideo.

I was so happy, but the colors and the framerate are more precise with your program, so I'm even more happy now !

Excellent program !

I used these parameters and it's perfect !

And it's faster !

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 26th May 2018 at 21:38.
Old 27th May 2018, 16:37   #253  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

To see the difference "before (incorrect colors) / after (correct colors)", see these pictures :

Old 6th June 2018, 11:54   #254  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLumberjack View Post
To see the difference "before (incorrect colors) / after (correct colors)", see these pictures :

What are you basing "correct" colors off of? NTSC is notoriously variable, and no TV was calibrated back then.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2018, 16:32   #255  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

I know the new colors are exact, because I perfectly know these games

The mansion in the "Tomb Raider" games has always been with orange bricks. It's not yellow !

And in this moment of "Soul Reaver" in the video (the vision of the chronoplast), we can see the future of Raziel who presumably got the Kain Reaver after his fight against Kain. We don't get it in the game, only with cheat codes It's not a very good representation, because the Kain Reaver is red and black. I think they didn't want to do too complicated, because it's just a cheat code

Quote:
Update : This is a hacked version. It should have been like this :

Here it's said : http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1/The_Debug_Menu.html

"Andrew also added some features of his own, like the ability to swim anywhere (which is very useful for exploring unreachable areas) and a fix for the colour of The Amplified Reaver, which does not otherwise display correctly in the PC version of Soul Reaver."
There is a fire Reaver in the game too, but sure it's not a represensation of this Reaver in the video, because it has nothing special for the history !

And I know all the history of this game !

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 11th June 2018 at 18:26.
Old 9th June 2018, 21:56   #256  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Quote:
The correct way to get videos is via the emulator's own recording function (e.g. BizHawk, RetroArch - both have bsnes cores). That way you get the exact framerate of 5*7*9 / 88 * 6 * 10^6 / 1364 / 524 * 2 = 60.098 fps, and no frame drops/duplications.
I rethought to this story of correct framerate for the Super Nes games. Do you know with what emulator I could record videos with this exact framerate of 60,098 fps ?

(it's said 60,0988 fps here : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/...framerate.html)

Thanks !

Note : So, if I understand, the output resolution of the Super Nes was 341x261 pxls ?

It explains why the resolution in Hegan is 1170x896. It's the same with the Super NT too (1170x896, but with the black bars it gives 1170x960) !

(Video source : Super Nt Settings for the Obsessive Compulsive)

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 9th June 2018 at 22:40.
Old 10th June 2018, 08:06   #257  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

The output resolution is 525 (263/262) interlaced lines, just like every other NTSC unit in existence. The horizontal resolution is defined more by the number of phosphors than the signal, but the maximum Nyquist resolution of the 15.7KHz was around 700 dots (thus 704 or 720 DVB/DVD standards). Of those 525 lines, a maximum of 480 and more often 450 contained any image data, where every other line was usually doubled from 240/225 lines generated internally. Internally, the horizontal resolution is generally 256, which is doubled to 512. There's also the interlaced 240x480 mode that was at the time unique to the SNES, but hardly ever used due to complexity and limited processing power. Likewise a of "512x240" mode where instead of each pixel being doubled, they're blended; this mode is much more commonly used since it doesn't increase complexity and processing power much, and another real 512x240 mode where backgrounds really were rendered in high resolution, but not foregrounds (sprites). After all of that, the SNES pads the video with the proper amount of blank pixels and lines, and the special sync lines every TV requires.

341x261 sounds like a misunderstanding of NTSC and SNES processing, thinking that it's the TV that does the resolution doubling, rather than the SNES itself. The resolution of every game on the SNES is 256x240 or 256x225, or a few using partial 512x240, outside of the handful of demos that used the 256x480 interlaced mode. How you want to refer to the final upsized frame size is up to you, but that seems unnecessarily esoteric when it's really 1024x896 padded out to some NTSC-friendly value.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 10th June 2018 at 08:35.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 09:50   #258  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

OK. Very good explanations ! Thanks !
Old 12th June 2018, 01:49   #259  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Hello everybody !

I created a new script (I know...) based on a simple idea. I took like a reference the sequences of the chronoplast from the PS1 version of Soul Reaver, because they have the particularity of having been realised with the engine of the game on PS1 (but not in real time of course, because they are videos), and my goal was to give them a look like the PC version of the game.

I don't know if I'm clear, so I will show you examples.

A screenshot of the game on PC

A video of the PS1 version upscaled to 2160p

The original image

A screenshot of the game on PC

A video of the PS1 version upscaled to 2160p

The original image

And then I will show you my new scripts and some other screenshots...
Old 12th June 2018, 02:08   #260  |  Link
SuperLumberjack
French Registered User

Name of the scripts : Shiny style

Super Nes games with 8:7 aspect ratio upscaled to 2160p :

(source resolution : 256x224 60 fps)

Mr. Nutz

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b1f1902c2fb1.png

Super Metroid

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b1f194ed568f.png

Super Mario World

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b1f19a1c1a5e.png

Quote:
AviSource()
ConvertToRGB32
Spline16Resize(1024, 896)
xBRZ(2)
GaussResize(4936, 4320, p=50)
BicubicResize(2468, 2160)

Super Nes games with 4:3 aspect ratio upscaled to 2160p :

Killer Instinct

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b1f1ac26f0d1.png

Killer Instinct

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b1f1b6eb925e.png

Donkey Kong Country 2

https://media.joomeo.com/original/5b1f1bb6cb857.png

Quote:
AviSource()
ConvertToRGB32
Spline16Resize(1024, 896)
xBRZ(2)
GaussResize(5640, 4320, p=50)
BicubicResize(2820, 2160)

As you can see, these new scripts are almost identical to the olders. I just begin to increase the resolution 4 times with the Spline16 and after replaced the Nnedi3 by the xBRZ.

So the PointSize filters are needed of course : http://avisynth.nl/index.php/PointSize

Last edited by SuperLumberjack; 2nd July 2018 at 20:05. Reason: I added the name of the scripts