Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th November 2017, 20:04   #47401  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Yes, there is, using F5 for different HDR->SDR conversion:
- pixel shader conversion is OK
- 3dlut conversion is Not (image is much darker)

PrintScreen in Windowed mode works fine for both of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you give me a few more details. How is 3dlut conversion not ok? Is the 3dlut not applied for the screenshot? Or is it applied incorrectly? What happens if you disable the 3dlut? Are F5 and PrintScreen identical then for SDR movies?
Here are the screenshot made on a 120 nits, 2.2 gamma, SDR 3dlut calibrated monitor:
- 3dlut : HDR->SDR 3dlut conversion
- pixel: pixel shader conversion
- madvr-decide: using the "let madVR decide" option

Using F5 in FSE mode (with MPC-BE):
hdr-sdr-3dlut-fse-f5 | hdr-sdr-pixel-fse-f5 | hdr-sdr-madvr-decide-fse-f5

Using PrintScreen in Windowed mode:
hdr-sdr-3dlut-window-PS | hdr-sdr-pixel-window-PS | hdr-sdr-madvr-decide-window-PS
Old 29th November 2017, 21:19   #47402  |  Link
Nyago123

Quote:
Interesting. But why not stick to 385.xx until the issue if fixed?
Yeah, I found it interesting that on my system HDR switching behavior varied between players, though as I'm sure most everyone knows that component installation configuration (splitter, renderer, etc) can vary as well even within one system.

It's not really all that much of an inconvenience when I factor that 99% of content is still SDR, and the Win 10 system I'm using is doubling as a game machine so I prefer having the latest drivers. Taking a few seconds to play with the Windows HDR toggle switch when things go wrong is annoying but it's a First World Problem... lol.

If I were that concerned, I'd probably take your advice and go with Win 8.1 in a dual boot, using the 8.1 when I want to do HTPC and Win 10 otherwise but I'm just too lazy.

Last edited by Nyago123; 29th November 2017 at 21:29.
Nyago123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 00:07   #47403  |  Link
Randi

BSOD testing custom modes

after googling, looking through madshis bugtracker and searching here didn't find anything: anybody has an idea why when I try to test a custom mode (nothing fancy, just the currently active one anyway) I always get a BSOD with "unexpected kernel mode trap"?
trying to get rid of reclock :-)
nvidia 1030 directly connected to a 4k hdr tv, driver version 385.29 (as recommended)
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 03:23   #47404  |  Link
Gopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
It's a great idea but why did you choose NGU Sharp? It's not a very good algo for bad quality videos, NGU AA is a better choice in this case and I think that RCA is mainly aimed to this type of videos. Do you think that RCA combined with NGU Sharp woul provide a good alternative for these videos? Not criticizing at all, just asking.
)
For most of my anime, NGU Very Sharp (image upscale) + RCA High, provide, images, that look sharper & also, free of artifacts, vs NGU AA (need more sharpening refinements). Mostly, average to good quality anime, though. High-quality images: NGU Very sharp + RCA High. I will test with lower quality anime (NGU AA + RCA High), to see if this is preferable (to me). Both, NGU Sharp & NGU AA, combined with RCA, would probably be nice, I guess, especially, for "other than anime" videos (?). Looking forward, to combined, NGU Very Sharp + RCA High, first, for most of my anime, at least. I do, usually, use NGU AA, for chroma upscale. Am I missing something?
Gopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 10:29   #47405  |  Link
EmuAGR

I've been trying to enable HDR but it didn't work, my TV doesn't change to HDR mode and colors look really poor. My current setup is Windows 7 x64 + AMD RX 580 + MPC-HC + LAV 0.70.2 + madVR 0.92.9 .
I've checked passthrough and metadata (for the TV), exclusive mode and D3D11 rendering options.

I've tried everything I saw online with no luck.

Last edited by EmuAGR; 1st December 2017 at 02:12.
EmuAGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 10:38   #47406  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuAGR View Post
I've been trying to enable HDR but it didn't work, my TV doesn't change to HDR mode and colors look really poor. My current setup is Windows 7 x64 + AMD RX 580 + MPC-HC+ LAV 0.70.2 + madVR 0.92.9 .
I've checked passthrough and metadata (for the TV), exclusive mode and D3D11 rendering options.

I've tried everything I saw online with no luck.
With an AMD card you'll probably need Windows 10 for HDR, because madVR only supports HDR passthrough using the NVIDIA API (on any OS) or the Windows 10 API. Unless I missed that this changed along the way..

Edit: Apparently it did change, read the bottom of the next post.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th November 2017 at 11:26.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 10:59   #47407  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
I know this is nooby but i've two questions, i use mpc be, lav and madvr.

Now, i think this is some sort of zoom settings in the madvr settings. I'm watching a move right now, i'm on 16:9 monitor and movie is 1:85,1. So i've a little black bars on top and bottom, just a few pixel.

1- In some scenes there are the records of an old camera, just a vertical image showed and black bars left and right. During these scenes the video is fitting the screen, like zooming, to perfectly 16:9. Just to turn back when the scene ends. Why? What options take me to achieve this?
I'm confused about "1-". How can the video fit the screen to perfectly 16:9, if you have black bars left and right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
2- In zoom control in madvr can you explain to me what the option "disable scaling if image size changes by only:".
If you have a movie with a resolution like 1919x1079 and play it on a 1920x1080 TV, then most media players by default ask madVR to scale 1919x1079 to 1920x1080, which is not really good for image quality, and wastes GPU power. So with this option activated, madVR will "override" the media player wish to have this video scaled up by 1 pixel and instead draw it unscaled, with a 1 pixel sized black bar at the right side and the bottom of the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
It's a great idea but why did you choose NGU Sharp? It's not a very good algo for bad quality videos, NGU AA is a better choice in this case and I think that RCA is mainly aimed to this type of videos. Do you think that RCA combined with NGU Sharp woul provide a good alternative for these videos?
One of the key reasons why NGU Sharp is not a good algo for bad quality videos is because of compression artifacts. So the combination of RCA + NGU Sharp seems a natural fit. There were also a number of users who reported that they switched from NGU AA to RCA + NGU Sharp.

But as I said, I may also try to create a fused version of RCA + NGU AA, but that's not decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwelcha View Post
Wanted to report a minor bug in madhccontrol v0.92.9, when I set my A/V receiver to "receiver, processor, switch" and the display connected as well to receiver, I get "An error occured in madvr" with the attached log when I try to open the display modes port on a different device. I know it's a weird thing to set in the first place but there's no display connected to my receiver that's why I set it that way... Obviously I just set the connected device back to digital display, just wanted to report my "finding".

I'm also voting for removing nndedi and doubling again/twice.
Attached stuff to this forum doesn't work, unfortunately, so please upload it somewhere else and then link to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Here are the screenshot made on a 120 nits, 2.2 gamma, SDR 3dlut calibrated monitor:
- 3dlut : HDR->SDR 3dlut conversion
- pixel: pixel shader conversion
- madvr-decide: using the "let madVR decide" option

Using F5 in FSE mode (with MPC-BE):
hdr-sdr-3dlut-fse-f5 | hdr-sdr-pixel-fse-f5 | hdr-sdr-madvr-decide-fse-f5
Hmmmm... The 3dlut stuff is surprising. I'll check if I can reproduce it here. Which pixel shader conversion "display peak nits" value did you choose? I think with "let madVR decide" madVR uses 400nits. You've probably chosen a much lower value? That would explain the difference between "let madVR decide" and the pixel shader math option. FWIW, I'm planning to lower the default "display peak nits" value in a future version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyago123 View Post
If I were that concerned, I'd probably take your advice and go with Win 8.1 in a dual boot, using the 8.1 when I want to do HTPC and Win 10 otherwise but I'm just too lazy.
I never advised to use dual boot. If you have a pure HTPC, there's no reason to use Win10 at all. If you need Win10 for some reason, e.g. for DX12 games, then by all means, use Win10 instead of Win8.1. You may suffer a bit, but that's how it is. You can still fix the HDR problems by using an older driver, as has been suggested about a million times already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randi View Post
after googling, looking through madshis bugtracker and searching here didn't find anything: anybody has an idea why when I try to test a custom mode (nothing fancy, just the currently active one anyway) I always get a BSOD with "unexpected kernel mode trap"?
trying to get rid of reclock :-)
nvidia 1030 directly connected to a 4k hdr tv, driver version 385.29 (as recommended)
A BSOD is almost always the fault of a driver. In this case most probably the GPU driver. I'd suggest that you try installing a different driver version. I'm sorry, but there's not much else I can suggest here. As you wrote yourself: Nobody else has reported this issue, so it seems specific to your PC somehow. Most probably some sort of installation/configuration issue with your OS. If all else fails, an OS reinstall could possibly fix it (but is a lot of work). With a bit of luck just reinstalling the GPU drivers, or installing a different GPU driver version may fix it. If you have extra bad luck, it could be a GPU BIOS or hardware issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuAGR View Post
I've been trying to enable HDR but it didn't work, my TV doesn't change to HDR mode and colors look really poor. My current setup is Windows 7 x64 + AMD RX 580 + MPC-HC+ LAV 0.70.2 + madVR 0.92.9 .
Please upload a screenshot of the OSD (Ctrl+J), when playing HDR content, to some image sharing host and link to the image here (don't attach here, doesn't work).

I'm not completely sure if the AMD HDR API supports Windows 7, but I think it should. Do you have the Windows 7 Platform Update installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
With an AMD card you'll probably need Windows 10 for HDR, because madVR only supports HDR passthrough using the NVIDIA API (on any OS) or the Windows 10 API. Unless I missed that this changed along the way..
Actually, I've added support for a private AMD HDR API a while ago, so it should work with AMD in Windows 8, maybe also in Windows 7. However, the AMD API has some extra annoying requirements: It only works in fullscreen mode (doesn't have to be exclusive, though), and D3D11 presentation must be used with 10bit backbuffer.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 12:41   #47408  |  Link
mclingo

anyone else getting a black screen on latest MADVR, dropping back to previous version fixes, I get this playing all movies.

note, i've just updated to windows 10 fall creators update, i'd removed it due to instability with BSOD and gfx drivers, thought i'd trying it again with latest releases.

Latest LAV seems ok but i'm having to drop back to a previous MADRV, sorry not with my PC at the moment so cant tell you which version is working for me.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 12:56   #47409  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
anyone else getting a black screen on latest MADVR, dropping back to previous version fixes, I get this playing all movies.

note, i've just updated to windows 10 fall creators update, i'd removed it due to instability with BSOD and gfx drivers, thought i'd trying it again with latest releases.

Latest LAV seems ok but i'm having to drop back to a previous MADRV, sorry not with my PC at the moment so cant tell you which version is working for me.
This has been reported before. The Fall Creators Update and Full Screen Exclusive mode do not work well together. In fact, they don't work at all.

Before madshi jumps in and tells you to go back to Win 8.1 , let me suggest you use full screen windowed mode instead. You probably don't absolutely need FSE.

Last edited by jkauff; 30th November 2017 at 12:59.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 13:14   #47410  |  Link
ryrynz

Haven't used FSE in a long time, it's not really needed for the majority of setups.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 13:29   #47411  |  Link
Siso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Haven't used FSE in a long time, it's not really needed for the majority of setups.
Same here.

BTW is there any visual difference with 3dlut, when using the default windowed fullscreen (present frames in advance), and using windowed overlay (which clips WTW) when watching blu-ray movies?

Last edited by Siso; 30th November 2017 at 13:32.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 13:42   #47412  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
This has been reported before. The Fall Creators Update and Full Screen Exclusive mode do not work well together. In fact, they don't work at all.

Before madshi jumps in and tells you to go back to Win 8.1 , let me suggest you use full screen windowed mode instead. You probably don't absolutely need FSE.

Hi and thanks, if I went back to something i'd just drop the fall update again but I can only postpone this for 1 year.

I need full screen exclusive mode for MVC 3D playback unfortunately.

It cant be totally broken though can it?... as it works on a prevous MADVR release from October.
Old 30th November 2017, 13:56   #47413  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
I'm confused about "1-". How can the video fit the screen to perfectly 16:9, if you have black bars left and right?
Sorry, I explained it not really clear. It fits the screen just on top and bottom.

Quote:
If you have a movie with a resolution like 1919x1079 and play it on a 1920x1080 TV, then most media players by default ask madVR to scale 1919x1079 to 1920x1080, which is not really good for image quality, and wastes GPU power. So with this option activated, madVR will "override" the media player wish to have this video scaled up by 1 pixel and instead draw it unscaled, with a 1 pixel sized black bar at the right side and the bottom of the video.
So, for example, I can set it to 25 lines, and it will not upscale the video if the difference is of 25 pixels or less?

Thanks!

Inviato dal mio BLN-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 30th November 2017, 14:22   #47414  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Hmmmm... The 3dlut stuff is surprising. I'll check if I can reproduce it here. Which pixel shader conversion "display peak nits" value did you choose? I think with "let madVR decide" madVR uses 400nits. You've probably chosen a much lower value? That would explain the difference between "let madVR decide" and the pixel shader math option.
Yes, I used 120 nits for both 3dlut and madvr's pixel shader. I've posted more images onto DisplayCal thread.
Quote:
FWIW, I'm planning to lower the default "display peak nits" value in a future version.
Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 16:59   #47415  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
It cant be totally broken though can it?... as it works on a prevous MADVR release from October.
You're right, if you can live with an old version it's not totally broken.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 17:04   #47416  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
You're right, if you can live with an old version it's not totally broken.
That it works with an old version of madVR does indicate that something triggered the bug in madVR, and possibly madshi could do something about it, though. Its not like FSE doesn't work entirely on FCU, in all the games I tried it also works fine.
Old 30th November 2017, 17:52   #47417  |  Link
Razoola

I see nvidia has released a new driver in the last hour or so (388.43). Anyone had a chance to see if HDR switching off is working again in this driver given Im not at home at the moment?

Last edited by Razoola; 30th November 2017 at 18:07.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 18:13   #47418  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That it works with an old version of madVR does indicate that something triggered the bug in madVR, and possibly madshi could do something about it, though. Its not like FSE doesn't work entirely on FCU, in all the games I tried it also works fine.
yeah, hoping for a fix from the Master.
Old 30th November 2017, 20:42   #47419  |  Link
mclingo

update on my issues with Black screen on latest version.

My PC
ATI RX 550 - driver 17.11.4 (latest)
Intel I7 with z68 mb
SSD windows drive
Windows 10 pro - fall creators update
16 gb ram
LAV filters - 0.70.2 (latest)

MADVR diags

09209 - black screen with MVC 3D and other movies.

09208 - struggles to start 3d MVC video, several starts and stops of audio before picture but exclusive mode works, however madvr crashes on stop and i loose hdmi handshake, have to kill madvr in task and DEVCON reset to get picture back.

09207 - same as 09208 but stops ok back to desktop no crashes, reasonably stable version.

using MPC-HC, MPC-BE and KODI DS, same issues with all three.

MASDHI - now we have tons of nice feature any change to could put a bit of boring work into stability and the Start / stop of movies, it feels really unstable and it often takes a good ten seconds for a movie to start.

heart felt thanks for your continued work on this project.
Old 30th November 2017, 20:46   #47420  |  Link
Skwelcha
<(ovO)>

Quote:

Attached stuff to this forum doesn't work, unfortunately, so please upload it somewhere else and then link to it here.
here it is: https://www.xup.in/dl,32961002/madVR...sh_report.txt/

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling